terscheckii:2

pasacana:3

spachianus: ?

(feel free to add species but please use the same climax of growth speeds 1-9

any input is very welcome, thanks in advance

Edited by sagiXsagi
  • Like 4

what about rooting times too?

that big hefty 8 kilo monster still hasn't rooted and im sure its gna be like 2 yrs in april or something...

ill bet it only weighs about 3 or 4 kilo now at a guess, maybe less..

also, my perus outgrew my pachs last season , is this strange or do they do it for a reason n then slow down to maybe fatten or something?

one in particular equally matched my fastest bridge in season's growth length!

i gather spachianus grows like weeds for some ,...and guess it may be a fasty too..

werder' is quite fast considering ,.. im not experienced to guage it's cm/ph yet tho with a score..

scop grows really fast for me - love that so much about them

taquimbo is slow for me but i think it grows quickly for you no?

I guess it must depend on climate and growing conditions, as well as the specific clone. For instance, Yowie would be 9 while the rest of my Pachanoi would be around 8. Psycho0 and Eileen at 9, while the rest of the Bridgesii around 8.

Here in Perth, my experiences would be as follows -

PC Pachanoi - 9+

Pachanoi - 8-9

Bridgesii - 8-9

Peruvianus - 7-8

Cuzcoensis - 7-8

Scopulicola - 6-7

• Like 2

It's almost as if individual plants are extremely variable even within a species

• Like 4

It's probably worth quantifying the scale for the sake of consistency. Ie how many cm per month on a column equates to a value on the scale?

• Like 2

edited original post to add cuzco and alter some numbers

I think whatever value this scale has is relative, that is its in comparison with each other, and not as an absolute.

of course any comparison is worth it when different species have grown together in the same enviroment for a while.

the abosolute measure of growth should be width x length I guess.

TH, I think the rooting speed would be equivalent to the speed of growth. IME bridgesii roots the easiest/fastest of all.

It also took me some 16 months or more to root a chunk of terscheckii .... slow buggers

in any case I find convergence 's list very interesting, join the game :P

Edited by sagiXsagi

It's funny, scopulicola is one of my slower growing cacti, probably a 5.

Yes, mine as well. It grows much slower than both my PC Pach and my Peruvian Torch. If PC Pach grows at speed 10, I'd say the Scopulicola grows at around 3. Even taking into account slight differences in soil mix, that's a big difference. The Scop was grown from seed, so maybe it's just this individual plant that is a slow grower.

• Like 1

Its all relative to so many variables, for eg Sagi, u have terschekii AnD Pasacana really low, but once those 2 are mature they put on incredible mass, much faster than any others.

Spachianus would definatly be a contender for fastest though. It grows like a weed if allowed

• Like 3

ok then if its not strictly speaking , and is just going by feel ... I'll give it a bash :P

so, it's currently winter at the time of this post ...

aaand going on the last 2 seasons growth, (if i only had it for 1 season i will put an * by it )

and only growth that has happened whilst in my posession...

(collection is very young , im a cactical noob of either 2.5 or 3.5 years - feels like 3/4 yrs but checking old posts dates say that it's actually only been 2ish years )

:-

fulvilanus = 1* (was a very fast rooter though)

6 different scop = , aus scop not grown yet since bought at end of last yrs growing season

abbey brook scop =7*, cactushopuk scop and german scops A =6, german scops B =5(cultureplants),

german scops C =6*

pach = 6

peru = 8

tersch = 2

some of the tersch =0/1*

schickendan = 3/4*

taquimbo = 3

bridg = 7/8 (only due to some being slower or would be a straight 8)

colossus = 10/11

juul's = 4/5

macro #1 = 7

macro #2 = 3*

macro #3 = 2*

werder #1 = 7

werder#2 = 5*

cuzco = 6/7

validus mutt = 7/8*

strigosus = 5/6*

candicans = 2/3

thelegonus = 5/6*

chilensis = -2

grandiflorus =4

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ
  • Like 1

Rooting times are very variable and subject to all kinds of things. For instance I got a scop that was severly dehydrate and dropped roots in 4 days. On the other hand I've had a 8 inch thick peice of SS02 that was so thick and had so much water in it, it had no problem living 8 months and growing 2 x 5 inch pups with out dropping a single root.

• Like 1

Rooting times are very variable and subject to all kinds of things. For instance I got a scop that was severly dehydrate and dropped roots in 4 days. On the other hand I've had a 8 inch thick peice of SS02 that was so thick and had so much water in it, it had no problem living 8 months and growing 2 x 5 inch pups with out dropping a single root.

Might it encourage rooting if you place the cutting in full sun? To stress it and dehydrate it faster and make it want to make roots?

Sounds logical to me, but I've read that cuttings should not be placed in direct sunlight before they root...

dnno really , that's what they say but i just tend to plant the cnt (wherever i plan to grow it) and leave it upright in kitty litter ...

and other than a fat terscheckii lookin thing ... they've all worked really well..

i dont grow in full sun but if i get an opportunity to , I'll take it.

(DE granular kitty litter- not the clumping fullers earth crap~~)

for eg Sagi, u have terschekii AnD Pasacana really low, but once those 2 are mature they put on incredible mass, much faster than any others.

depends what you measure, length of each years shoots or mass ?

if you include pupping tendency & ease of rooting within the speed of growth, then pasacana and terscheckii are still slow..

you comment is valid in any case, as I havent grown them to maturity, nor do I have a mature plant, perhaps only one big terscheckii which i hacked to root . I still dont know if it was a good move...

cuttings are better not left in sun - they dehydrate too fast. semi shade works better I have found both for leaving the cutting sit, rotting them in dry medium and potting up them the first 2 weeks after they root. semi-shade works best IME

Max, growth of speed is also dependend on many factors..

f.e. if you have an awfully rebound tricho for 4-5 years and repot it to a large container it will explode.. the same plant that previously could grow but couple cm's per year due to the rootbounding...

or the age of the cactus, like doubleben said, this also affects the growth of speed. I am quite certain rootbounding does too.

• Like 2