The Corroboree
altenate

Wollemi pines

I have some seeds for sale or trade.

Say 4 lots to go.... There will be a fair few seeds per pkt.

Anyone interested? I'm more looking for edible fruits & bush food & that kinda thing.

Picked yesterday off my trees....

Ive never grown this tree from seed so good luck! I'd be interested to see how they go....

The trees the seeds came from are approx 10 yrs old & beautiful! 2nd year of fruiting.

• Like 4

yeah bro, i'm interested... Have you tried to germinate any? Are they viable? I don't know anything about growing it from seed....

I'm going to try to germinate them... I'll let ya know!

So Im happy for a few people to try this: Got a few more ripe seeds left & more ripening on the trees.....

This is what i've learned so far...& I def aint no expert.....Just keen to learn.

My trees I got 10 yrs ago during the first release. They are planted in the lower to mid Blue Mtns in a nice gully that is eventually going to part of a food forest. No frosts & sheltered conditions....Also makes a beautiful potted xmas tree....

As the seeds contain a short chain omega 3 fatty acid, the oil will degrade at temps above 18 degrees. The seeds contain 40% oil.

I think this fatty acid chain is interesting in its own right but we need to grow a whole lot more.....So best to store below 18 degrees & seed is supposedly still viable after 5 years.

Ive also pulled a couple of Birch like Fungus with fruiting bodies off them in the past but I cant identify them.... These may also be interesting. Not in that sense but in a medicinal sense....

Like a soil pH of 4 to 6

Also like a cold strat period of below 10 degrees, but above 4 degrees prior to planting. Optimum sprouting temp is 24 to 30 degrees - how long ---I dont know....

so spring, summer, autumn.... Seed takes up to 42 days to sprout supposedly.

pretty low germ rate, say 10% per cone.... Approx 244 seeds per cone....

I picked 7 cones this time round so you might be lucky!! I think following the above there might be higher germ rates & would be good to experiment with Agathis or Araucaria species techniques,smoke water etc etc. i dont know - its just a majestic tree!

Im kinda just looking for feedback if you want to grow them & if you have success then you can trade something... If not just let me know what you attempted & what kinda or didnt work....

If any one else has some info Id love to hear it.

• Like 6

I'm keen. How many trees do you have?

Did they produce male cones as well? They would need to be fertilised to be... viable.

Not sure if you can tell by looking alone.

Cheers :)

Yep,

They have had male cones for last 4 years, & these were pollen producing guns. The female cones are rounder & started last season.

Im guessing they are viable as I placed the male pollen onto the female cones a couple of times, besides nature doing what she does best....

Ill post a pic when i head back out to them tomorrow - of the trees & the cones & the male & female flowers....

• Like 3

Nice write up alternate, thank you!

So I'm posting this lot tomorrow.... Be interested in how you all go with it.

Any last takers for fresh seed?

There will be more at same stage.....

• Like 1

hey altenate, nice one. also wondering how many trees u have . i have one tree that appears to have its male and female bits. anyways as bunyas do a lot better seedwise in a stand i was thinking same with wollemis but maybe with hand pollination it would be ok

• Like 1

Apologises for my tardiness in posting these out!! Life, kids, broken bobcats, work, birthday, weddings, broken arms & marriages etc.... They are ready to post.... You should have them this week.... I'm dropping them in the post box as I type....

Flora, I've got 3 trees & have tried to cross pollinate.

Time will tell....The genetics are so similar, ie they are all identical....Is that the same with Bunyas?

Anyone had any success?  42 days have well and truly passed on the first batch.  Would attempting germination in winter be advisable?

Did you try the cold stratification? Winter might work...or once winter passes. They take a whiles.... Don't give up.... I've had other seeds take 3 months

gonna try the ones that have been in the fridge for my next batch.  and no, i haven't fully given up yet on the first...

No luck for me either. They didn't look particularly viable, maybe pollination was not successful.

any of you tried cold strat?? 

I liked the bit that said sprouting temp 24-30 C but that they like a cold stratification