The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Lucifuge

Advice needed: Growing Trinidad Scorpion and Ghost Chillies from seed

I have tried growing these from seeds several times and each time they just grow 4-5cm and then die.

I've tried several different propagation mixes (including my own blends of peat moss, vermiculite, potting mix and sand in varying ratios). I have also tried them both on and off heat mats.

It's hard to know what might be causing it unless you can give us a little more info about the growing conditions. Young seedlings can be prone to damping off and rot from fungus. How wet is the media you are growing them in?

I've found Trinidad scorps to be one of the most hardy plants, they don't like really strong light too early in life though.

I usually just sprout them in jiffy pellets, then once roots start poking out the sides and bottom I pot them up in standard potting mix, nothing special. Give them a bit of seasol, maybe weak ferts if the leaves start yellowing. Water them regularly but don't keep the soil overly wet.

• Like 2

Your mix options are very water retentive or lacking in nutrients. Potting mix and some coir should work :)

Watch out for fungus gnat larvae. If you see a seedling starting to die, take it out of the soil, and if it has no root, you know what's the cause.

What is happening when they die ?

If you could explain the symptoms a bit better we could give a bit more specific advice.

Also the best seed raising mix in the wrong the container can cause problems, so give us a few more details and we'll get it sorted out.

I have tried several different containers - seed raising trays, 75mm tubes, 125mm and 200mm pots.

The one that lasted the longest was in a 125mm pot on a heatmat.

I make sure not to give them too much water. I just sow them in damp soil, and then mist the soil with a spray bottle every couple of days.

I generally don't give them any fertiliser, but for some I have tried adding a few granules of potash (Richgro brand).

I keep them indoors in a room that is very warm. I sit them near a window, where they get indirect sunlight.

When they die, they collapse, lie there for a day or so and then shrivel up.

If they collapse, it is very likely that their roots have been eaten by fungus gnat larvae. Watch for tiny black flies buzzing around the containers.

I'm almost certain that's your problem.

It could be fungus gnats or it might be damping off which is caused by fungal infections.

Having them inside in a warm room would favour either of those problems. It could be a bit of both. If the base of the stem just above soil level goes mushy and collapses it would probably be damping off doing most of the damage.

Maybe try starting some outdoors in an ad hock shade enclosure.

Just chuck some seeds in a pot with some shitty mix or your garden and forget about them. Sometimes that's the best method. I've had stuff grow when I've done that that never grew when I babied them.

• Like 4

I second (third?) the fungus gnats, check for fruit fly looking things buzzing about.

At that size they don't need ferts and will grow in any old (depleted) soil. A heat mat will help pop them but may dry them out too quickly once they get true leaves. You could try putting a towel between the mat and the pot after they sprout to reduce the warmth and evaporation. Misting the soil may not be enough to get water down to the roots (dunno how thoroughly you do it). I poke pinholes in a 1.25 litre plastic bottle and use it to shower them pretty thoroughly every few days and never lose them after saturating the soil.

Wilting IME can happen from over OR underwatering. I don't find they need much water at that age. My bhut seedlings go without water for ages (well, about a week or so). When I've grown em Trinidad scorps are more fussy about water (i.e need a more consistent supply). Do they get enough light in that window? Maybe try 'em under a fluoro tube til they get settled.

General potting mix from Bunnings will do, make sure when watering you let the top surface dry out completely before misting again, as mentioned above this will stop the damping-off. They do love higher soil temps to get motivated as well.

I've just had a load of seedlings appear from tipping out my dehydrator (which had random scorpion and 7-pot seed) over some old plant pots full of depleted potting mix, they're pretty hardy already. 

C.chinense is a bit harder to take off. And a bit slower at start... any soil will do, potting soil would be best.. 

pot depth plays a role.. mine did best in a sowing tray and heat mat.. but I did not have anyproblems, sprouting or growing... I jsut found the best rates depended on the depth of the pot (distance from the heat mat) 

try more seeds, numbers is always the way to go... 

try it outside, try to leave soil to dry between waterings and if they sprout, stop misting and start watering.. 

remember that if you place them in big enough containers you dont have to sow too early to win 1-2 months..