The Corroboree
theuserformallyknownasd00d

Hangover free booze

This sounds interesting, what do you chem heads reckon?

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/01/19/world/north-korea-hangover-free-alcohol/

"(CNN)It put the world on edge after its supposed hydrogen bomb test. But perhaps we can learn to love North Korea now that it claims to have invented a revolutionary liquor that won't leave you bleary-eyed and hungover.

And no, apparently it's not water.

According to state-run newspaper Pyongyang Times, this "suave" liquor is made from an extract of ginseng, and uses glutinous rice instead of sugar."

If it's got ethanol in it, it can probably give you a hangover.

• Like 2

cool article, thanks for sharing :)

I wonder why knowone has tried making a liquor that contains an enzyme designed to break down Acetaldehyde (the metabolite of ethanol that causes a hangover)

• Like 1

Maybe they executed all the people reporting hangovers.

or just pumped them full of meth

edit: but everyone just remember, you only get hangovers when you stop drinking :uzi::crux:

Edited by DiscoStu
  • Like 1

Every two or three beers I fill my empty beer bottle with water. This helps a lot! Only downside is you always need to piss, but that's usually a standard when drinking, especially copious amounts of beer.

Edited by Brendo

All alcohol will give you some kind of hangover.

If drinking spirits, train yourself to use soda water instead of sugary pop.

Ive drunk a bunch of moonshine that barely gives you a hangover at all. Its not the ethanol thats the problem, it just gets you drunk. its all the other crap that comes off the still. Whats known as the "heads and tails". This is also where a lot of the flavour in your whiskeys and rums etc come from. so it aint all bad.
With well made homemade vodka you can drink a shit load, go to bed then wake up and all you feel is still drunk. then that wears off and your fine.

Doesnt mean you cant give yourself alchole poisoning though.

Submitted by Simon Black via SovereignMan.com,

If you believe the official propaganda, no other nation in the history of the world has advanced the cause of humanity more than North Korea.

According to the North Korean Ministry of Truth, their great nation has cured cancer, ebola, AIDS, SARS, MERS, and much more.

Now they’re saving the world again, this time having invented an extra-strength adult beverage that won’t leave you feeling like a train wreck in the morning.

It’s hangover-free alcohol. Perhaps next they’ll invent Calorie-free chocolate.

Clearly this is an idiotic fantasy.

Alcohol has chemical properties which have a severe physiological impact on the human body when consumed in excess.

If you drink too much alcohol, there are consequences. Both short-term and long-term. Simple.

Yet the North Korean government is deceiving an entire nation of devout followers that they have invented a cure-all panacea.

Drink as much as you want and don’t worry about the consequences!

Now, we can poke fun at North Koreans’ gullibility.

But frankly I don’t find the idea of ‘hangover-free alcohol’ any dumber or less deceptive than the idea of ‘consequence-free debt’. Or the idea that you can print your way to prosperity.

North Koreans may be delusional enough to believe their government. But so are most Westerners.

People in the ‘advanced’ world believe crazy fantasies all the time.

We’re told that the national debt doesn’t matter, nor does it make the nation poorer, because “we owe it to ourselves.” (Nobel Prize winner Paul Krugman, 9 February 2015)

It’s as if the federal government being unable to pay the debts it owes to Social Security recipients, or to bank depositors in the US, is somehow less ‘bad’ than stiffing China.

We’re told “the State of our Union is strong” (Barack Obama, last week).

Yet trust in government is near an all-time low, wealth inequality is extreme, the Middle Class is no longer the clear majority in America, and the national debt is at an all-time high of nearly $19 trillion.

We’re told that “Medicare and Social Security are not in crisis” (Barack Obama, 13 July 2015).

Yet the annual report from the Treasury Secretary of the United States tells us that one of the programs’ major trust funds is completely out of cash, and the rest are running out.

We’re told that running huge budget deficits don’t matter because “the government can print more money.” (Paul Krugman, 31 January 2013)

… because apparently there are absolutely zero consequences when the Federal Reserve conjures money out of thin air.

Except that there are consequences. Every dollar the Fed prints weakens its balance sheet and pushes it into insolvency.

In fact, the Fed’s own weekly financial report shows that its level of capital is a pitifully small 0.8% of its total assets. In other words, the Fed has almost zero margin of safety.

And on a mark to market basis, the Fed is already insolvent.

Yet the Federal Reserve claimed in a November 2014 white paper that its own insolvency “would not create serious problems,” as if decades of wild partying with their printing presses would be consequence free.

Western newspapers are certainly having a chuckle today at North Korea with headlines making fun of the hangover-free alcohol hoax.

But just imagine the fun they’d have if Kim Jong-un announced to the world that he had invented ‘consequence-free debt’ or a perpetual money printing machine.

Western media would have a field day with such propaganda, arrogant and clueless that this is already our own reality.

Hangover-free alcohol is pretty silly.

But in the West, we believe the biggest lies of all… that you don’t actually have to do anything, that your nation can simply print and borrow its way to prosperity until the end of time.

All lies eventually collapse, and reality settles in.

Given the panic in global financial markets just in the first few weeks of 2016, that reality may be quickly approaching.

• Like 3

Just a reminder that alcohol is a Class A carcinogen, on par with both asbestos and cigarette smoke according to Ian Olver of the Australian Cancer Council.

Doesn't matter how strong or weak it is, it has an undeniable carcinogenic effect on the human organism...

What is a Class A carcinogen ?

after a quick search i found this,

• Group 1: Carcinogenic to humans
  • Group 2A: Probably carcinogenic to humans
  • Group 2B: Possibly carcinogenic to humans
  • Group 3: Unclassifiable as to carcinogenicity in humans
  • Group 4: Probably not carcinogenic to humans
  • Like 1

^^Thanks for linking up that article RC, i found it very interesting, it got me thinking about why ethanol is carcinogenic

After reading a few papers i found this...

experimental studies in animals support the concept that ethanol is not a carcinogen but under certain experimental conditions is a cocarcinogen and/or tumour promoter. The metabolism of ethanol leads to the generation of acetaldehyde (AA) and free radicals. Evidence has accumulated that acetaldehyde is predominantly responsible for alcohol associated carcinogenesis. Acetaldehyde is carcinogenic and mutagenic, binds to DNA and proteins, destructs folate and results in secondary hyperproliferation. Acetaldehyde is produced by tissue alcohol hydrogenases, cytochrome P 4502E1 and through bacterial oxidative metabolism in the upper and lower gastrointestinal tract.

http://alcalc.oxfordjournals.org/content/39/3/155.long

Which brings me back to the first point i was making in post #3

Why arent we trying to design a liquor that either changes the break down pathway of Ethanol so we dont have to be exposed to Acetaldehyde or put a compound in the liquor thats designed to bind up to Acetaldehyde and excrete it.

^^Thanks for linking up that article RC, i found it very interesting, it got me thinking about why ethanol is carcinogenic

After reading a few papers i found this...

experimental studies in animals support the concept that ethanol is not a carcinogen but under certain experimental conditions is a cocarcinogen and/or tumour promoter. The metabolism of ethanol leads to the generation of acetaldehyde (AA) and free radicals. Evidence has accumulated that acetaldehyde is predominantly responsible for alcohol associated carcinogenesis. Acetaldehyde is carcinogenic and mutagenic, binds to DNA and proteins, destructs folate and results in secondary hyperproliferation. Acetaldehyde is produced by tissue alcohol hydrogenases, cytochrome P 4502E1 and through bacterial oxidative metabolism in the upper and lower gastrointestinal tract.

http://alcalc.oxfordjournals.org/content/39/3/155.long

Which brings me back to the first point i was making in post #3

Why arent we trying to design a liquor that either changes the break down pathway of Ethanol so we dont have to be exposed to Acetaldehyde or put a compound in the liquor thats designed to bind up to Acetaldehyde and excrete it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11350365/Pop-a-sober-up-pill-or-guzzle-synthetic-booze-to-avoid-hangovers.html

^^Wow, thats really cool

Thanks for bringing that to my attention :)

Yay! Benzos instead of grog! :huh::unsure:

Yay for having someone on this planet who cares enough to dedicate their life to researching and promoting harm reduction rather then simply saying the old "drugs are all evil" line. Ill assume your yay for benozos comment is sarcasm, and coming from a place of miss understanding because this guys isnt trying to get the world hook on benzos, quite the opposite in fact, he is trying to make safer healthier alternatives

While the article does make reference to a benzodiazepine derivative, it doesn't state anything specific about which derivatives they are researching and hence, we cannot make an accurate judgement of the activity, toxicity, and addictiveness of the substance in question. However these 85 new chemical compounds will have to go through vigorous clinical trials before the possibility of approval and sale to the general public.

"Nutt has applied for patents on 85 new chemical compounds in the alcosynth and chaperone families, which would be licensed to DrugsScience, and the Beckley Foundation, both independent organisations dedicated to research on drugs and drugs policy research."

"The cost of human trials and legal bills for Nutt’s new chemicals will top £1m, he claims. He is hoping to secure a backer from the big pharma world. Danish pharmaceutical company Lundbeck recently launched Selincro, a drug that reduces the craving for alcohol, proving that there is market interest, he says."

Now you could conclude Nutt is simply trying to make some money pushing new substances, but if you review the work he has been participating in over the last 10 years it becomes quite clears this is a man who is trying to improve the situation for the rest of us. Take a look at his wiki page and list of publications https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Nutt

• Like 1