The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Conv3rgence

Opinions on seed from Botanical Archive?

Hi,

I have been looking for Ariocarpus cultivar seed and they are pretty difficult to find. So far I have located 3 sources and the prices are astronomical. Since these are seriously expensive, I'd like to go with a seller with a proven track record and reliable germ rates, but of course, price does matter.

For example

-A private collector lady from italy

5 seeds of Ariocarpus Fissuratus cv Super Godzilla (green coral) - 30.00 Euro

-Admins of Cactuscultivars forum

5 seeds of Ariocarpus Fissuratus cv Godzilla - 18.00 Euro

-Botanical Archive

5 seeds of Ariocarpus Pectinatus x Fissuratus cv Godzilla - 9.70 Euro

As you can see, even though all these prices are eyewatering, the price fm Botanical Archive appears to be the most reasonable. However, the admins of Cactuscultivars provide photos of the mother and father plants, seems legit, where as BA has a single photo that could be of no relation to the seeds provided. Does anyone here have experience with BA or with the admins of cactuscultivars? What are their seeds germ rates like, and are they what is advertised?

Thanks for the help.

I have some experience with Botanical archive, and it's not particularly good... I've ordered seeds from them at least six times before I realized they were dodgy. First, their seeds are very expensive, they have terrible germination rates and in my experience, they are often not what they are advertised as. Their shipping cost is also insanely high, to my location at least 4 times what the actual cost would be. But what annoyed me most is their 'seed mix' packs, Ariocarpus kotschubeynus, fissuratus and retusus 'mixed cultivars packs' produced 100% same plants, and in my last order of '300 cactus mix seeds' I received 298 Echinocactus grusonii seeds and 2 different small black seeds that didn't germinate. Suffice it to say, I will never be ordering from them again.

Thanks for the reply. So far, I'm getting mixed responses on BA, I've had others tell me they were good, but then also some with the sane opinion as yourself. Good to know about the mixed seed packs though, I was also thinking about the kotchoubeyashan and fissuratus mix packs

Anyone else have an opinion on BA? So far I've got one positive and one negative. Old forum searches on multiple forums also gives mixed opinions.

I've had only good experience with BA.
The prices are reasonable, the shipping quotes are for registered post, but they will charge less for unregisterd if you request it.
They can be hard to contact sometimes, but that is probably more to do with ebay and the messaging system - compounded by them being on the other side of the world.
I always get free extra seeds from them too, and I havent found their germ rates significantly worse than anywhere else that sells them on from another source (Like koehres)

I would suggest tho, that the prices quoted in your example show some pure cv seed against BA's cross - this would explain a little why they are cheaper.
don't hold your breath though, I've only seen BA selling cv crosses.
cv coral is super rare, that's cool you've found a source for it, and if you were willing to share I'd love to know who the Italian lady is selling them!

:-)