The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Starling, don't you claim to be a Buddhist? Maybe your time would be better spent off of the internet and relearning the middle path, four noble truths and especially the noble eightfold path.

i don't know starling from a bar of soap so i would never claim to agree with him as i know almost nothing about the scope of his opinions.

but using a logical argument to criticize a belief system as a whole with logic is not bigotry. nowhere in his posts have i seen him criticize individuals or followers of Islam.

dogmatic belief systems need to be criticized intelligently. In the long run it is in theirs & all peoples best interests that all things are questioned & discussed intelligently.

mistaking intelligent criticism as bigotry is just as stupid as bigotry itself & in the long run is probably as dangerous as mass scale dogmatic belief systems that aren't intelligently criticized.

Tolerance is profoundly important in this world but there is a difference between intolerance & reasoned discussion. If we aren't capable of recognizing the difference & having the tolerance enough for each other to allow intelligent criticism & subsequent discussion to occur without resorting to numb skull pigeonholing then we truly have no hope.

i don't know starling from a bar of soap so i would never claim to agree with him as i know almost nothing about the scope of his opinions.

but using a logical argument to criticize a belief system as a whole with logic is not bigotry. nowhere in his posts have i seen him criticize individuals or followers of Islam.

dogmatic belief systems need to be criticized intelligently. In the long run it is in theirs & all peoples best interests that all things are questioned & discussed intelligently.

mistaking intelligent criticism as bigotry is just as stupid as bigotry itself & in the long run is probably as dangerous as mass scale dogmatic belief systems that aren't intelligently criticized.

Tolerance is profoundly important in this world but there is a difference between intolerance & reasoned discussion. If we aren't capable of recognizing the difference & having the tolerance enough for each other to allow intelligent criticism & subsequent discussion to occur without resorting to numb skull pigeonholing then we truly have no hope.

What's not to understand?

I find the Islamic faith repellent,backward, violent,misogynistic and absurd. And I can qualify this position based on endless atrocities, the brutality of shari'ah, the nonsensical nature of the quir'an, and the fact that wherever you find a large Muslim population, you will them to be invariably in conflict with their neighbors.

Why, excuse me, should I be forced to pay into a system that contravenes every standard of ethics, liberty and value I hold dear? Why should I have to pay into zakat--a system that redistributes halal money into Muslim-specific charities? I wonder if people are aware that it is actually forbiden by shari'ah to redistribute zakat to non-muslims. Well, it is. Let me give you a challenge: name a Muslim charity that is an exception to this. Ok,so that was a trick question, because they don't exist.

So that's the situation, good people; you are forced to pay into a system which both considers you an apostate and will never either redirect, nor pay forward, that money to anyone other than those within the ambit of its ideology. Ever. In fact, Zakat is almost certainly redirected to extremist groups occasionally. So essentially, we're sometimes funding extremist Muslims to kill us.

You see, in a rational universe we'd have an arrangement whereby people like me who don't want to support Islam wouldn't be made to. Nestle wouldn't arbitrarily certify chocolate bars halal as a matter of course. Instead, they would produce these for sale in halal grocers and these would not be distributed in the wider market generally. That would be fair, and that would be a choice. As it stands, my choice now is either buy the halal certified products, or don't buy them. Now, if anyone wants to chime in here and tell me how this is equitable, then please--amaze me.

Starling, don't you claim to be a Buddhist? Maybe your time would be better spent off of the internet and relearning the middle path, four noble truths and especially the noble eightfold path.

To answer your question, yes--I would identify as mahayanist,specifically and I do try to live my life by those values. And yes, you are right-- that would be better time spent. I really have no case to make for myself in this regard, other than to say that ultimately everything is about mind states, and I don't feel as though participating in this thread, and arguing a point, necessarily equates to bad karma. Of course, I may just be a fool. This might be just wishful thinking, and probably is because I have almost certainly made olive feel bad in some way. I do not feel anger, but I do feel vindication, which may be worse, better or the same. In any case, I will now be erring on the side of caution and will not continue the argument from my end.

criticizing a ginormous power structure is not criticizing the masses of good people that are subject to that power structure.

it's like saying that because i criticize say... the corrupt political system & corporate power structure of Australia, i therefore am a nazi bigot whom hates all australians & thinks every single one of them are scum.

So who here thinks the corrupt political/corporate systems here & around the world should not be criticized & intelligently discussed? if so please explain..

I agree Paradox, if a system can't be openly criticised and debated it's a dictatorship.

i didn't catch that man sorry..

where was everyone that time when i was accused of accusing someone of being racist when i wasn't!? haha ;)

seriously though, you didn't start this thread expecting everyone to rant simply about the atrocities of annoying avatars right?

no I didn't expect that, it was for rants in general so they don't disrupt other threads, I didn't expect it to turn into this.

just another in a long list of threads that has been derailed, like my "whos got the tallest trichs" thread that was laughed at and called a pissing contest. I would still like to know how big people manage to get trichs in Australia, in pots and in the ground.

This topic was fine till someone mentioned immigrants.

you're welcome lol

people whinge saying oh this sites not just about cactus, that's all well and good but IN FACT! parts of this site are specifically about cactus and some of us take it more seriously than others.

heres a rant. nothing shits me more than someone writing in in the middle of a heated cacti discussion with some hippie la dee da everybody be happy comment.

please olive, put forward your sensible arguments to justify wife beating in islam

i'm all ears

I'd beat her cause I could and mostly because she has a fat arse and wears a burka from head to tail so I'd loose hervshoppingbn that would shit me so I'd beat her to pulp. then when I'm puffed my 17 cousins can kick hervin the head while she lays unconscious on the floor in the desert grocery.

thats why.

but I can recognize my missus a mile away so we just smile or wave and continue on our merry buisiness.

we even hug sometimes when we get home and she doesn't fall pregnant?

Wert you really need to quit posting while off chops

still hate ants on bins on bin day but!

My rant is about when you post a very thought provoking and truly philosophical thread... Then some lagging over sensitive little bitch presses the alert button and does ya in to the mods!

... Not cool dudes.

Ya all call yourself plant heads, but you all just come across as a bunch of irrational women who've got crime stoppers on speed dial, for when ya start getting all emotional and shit!!!

that sux man, i would have liked to have read your thread as it seems every one of your threads turn into a hilarious shitstorm of stupidity.. pretty entertaining in a trashy jerry springer type of sense..

seriously though man, when you say "you all" you don't actually mean "all" tens of thousands of members here do ya? you more mean the few people you actually have a beef with right? or, you know, whoever the one person who reported whatever your thread was... yeah?

I'm so sick of making schnitzel. It seems like I'm pounding pieces of meat into submission with a hammer every single night at this time, but it's all anyone in this house wants to eat.

seriously though man, when you say "you all" you don't actually mean "all" tens of thousands of members here do ya? you more mean the few people you actually have a beef with right? or, you know, whoever the one person who reported whatever your thread was... yeah?

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean.

It may have been a little "jerry springer" style, but it was just a bit of light hearted entertainment... what would have been the harm?

Peace

5441 members to be exact, its dropped 1 a day for the last 3 days.

anyway my rant

Good and evil can get fucked.

"good" and "evil"

please, i really want to hear you ideas on what those mean,

i mean i have an idea of what they are meant to mean, but i want to hear others ideas on it

My rant is about when you post a very thought provoking and truly philosophical thread... Then some lagging over sensitive little bitch presses the alert button and does ya in to the mods!

... Not cool dudes.

Ya all call yourself plant heads, but you all just come across as a bunch of irrational women who've got crime stoppers on speed dial, for when ya start getting all emotional and shit!!!

lol. the only time anyone should be reported is when you eccentrically accidentally report yourself to the mods

.........................Wow, i'm off chops here. Shit i better play it cool.........................

"Um, yeah hello T, yeah thanks for asking i'm fine. Look, i want to report this guy/gal who goes hi the name

Subaeruginosin

i'd like to recommend we stick him in a can and send him to the processing plant where all our 'b' grade mollusks go.

Anyway, thankyou for listening to my rant"

foooff much more relaxed after that last bunga and cup of cammo.

p.s there is a disclaimer i thort sunchaser was the best incarnation........so far

firepit in portlandia

Fuckin people who don't even say thanks when you send them free stuff. They're pretty quick to send you a pm upfront, but not even an acknowledgement that they received the items you sent them at your own cost? Fuckin manners...