The Corroboree
-RC-

Strayan Sloths

Dear Australia,

You are doing it wrong.

Love,

Responsible Choice

http://www.hightimes.com/read/australia%E2%80%99s-%E2%80%9Cstoner-sloth%E2%80%9D-campaign-backfires-under-relentless-scrutiny

An Australian anti-marijuana campaign attempting to warn teenagers against pot smoking hilariously backfired when the ads were uploaded and went viral, receiving several million

(watch below).

The ad depicted marijuana users as disturbingly oversized versions of a beloved South American mammal: the sloth.

• Like 3

lol ok, well that is completely fucking twee and ridiculous, and also profoundly disturbing. It's a.gov PSA so you wouldn't really expect it to be a Kubrick. However I am anti-youth drug use (especially the habitual kind) and believe that habitual baking isn't good for anyone in any way. It never helped me or anyone I knew, anyway. I don' think anyone should engage in any mind altering substance until their mid 20's, personally. Hooter included.

Not trying to start a debate and won't be getting into one. I'm not the morality police and have no interest nor judgement to make about what people who aren't me do on their own time and dollar as log as whatever that is isn't fucking up my shit.

• Like 2

If you weren't already grumpy enough, remember that Saatchi & Saatchi pocketed $500,000 of gov funding to produce that.

• Like 3

If you weren't already grumpy enough, remember that Saatchi & Saatchi pocketed $500,000 of gov funding to produce that.

500k? What's the sloth getup fashioned out of--mink and rhinoceros horn?

unbelievable.

• Like 2

Yeah, Baird acts like a progressive liberal on medical marijuana, but in the end he still supports the same old prohibitionist-police-complex rent-seeking as the rest of them. I'm wiling to bet that ad agency makes some good political donations.

• Like 1

I liked the ads and thought they were better than most drug ads.

Who hasn't smoked up too much at a party, become non-social and wonder why they're even smoking weed at social gathering anyway?

• Like 3

I don't think they are an accurate portrayal of the kids on weed issue at all. Start with the truth if you want to prevent kids from abusing drugs.

If they are old enough to come into contact with weed, then they are old enough to be provided with the truth about it.

Weed can (and will) be used in moderation, as well as misused/abused, you can't misinform people out of that particular reality.

IMO weed use/exploration should take place with a supervised adult when they are finished school etc. It should sound as boring as it actually really is :P

• Like 2

They have the best selection of top psychologists when producing this

I have trouble believing they didn't know exactly what they were doing

"It was told to me when I was very young by a very old shaman that Marijuana was actually genetically altered by the "dark forces" to be more powerful so that people could pick up entities much easier."

https://www.shamanportal.org/article_details.php?id=961

I don't want to rub anyone the wrong way. I'm just viewing things from my own perceptual experiences. Smoking throughout my youth activated schizophrenia in me. I don't feel it does youth any good

• Like 1

Im not expressing an opinion about youth marijuana smoking - that is an actual serious issue...

But seriously, these ads were batshit insane?!

I thought it was an opening skit for a comedy show when i saw it...

There are so many avenues they couldve travelled to produce a genuinely serious ad that may have an impact...

This was just ridiculous in my opinion.... all i can say is - were they high? :/

• Like 1

Their whole thing is 'you are worse on weed'. It's kind of ironic that I imagine their ads would better when you are on weed. If I was a stoned 16 year old I am pretty sure I wouldn't be able to take it seriously

• Like 1

Humour value aside, I think the strategy of encouraging other young people, family and even teachers, to mock those who actually have a problem with weed is counter-productive at best. Not everyone who fails to finish an exam is stoned, and if they were, they don't need the derision of others. And don't get me started on the party ad - it's fine to be a (possibly under-age) tool standing around drinking beer (note the red cups) discussing the wearing of socks and sandals - if they asked my opinion I'd probably be speechless even if I were sober!

Not saying that pot is harm/risk-free - but this campaign exacerbates the possible harms, rather than reducing them.

• Like 7

yeah at 16 too busy playing video games dealing with cotton mouth, dry eyes and trying to work out whos shouts the next gram without laughing to much of course.

they should put the adds in video games... nah fuck that I dont want to see shit like that everytime I load up modern warfare.

• Like 1

I remember getting an A in an English task at age 16 when I was stoned in class. The jock types tried to point out that I was always stoned and didn't deserve the grade. Didn't do me any favours with Math though.

• Like 2

They should put out ads like this, but with some young bloke getting sold some buds with heaps of chemicals and some crystal meth put through it or some shit, with a simple line of "Dodgy people do dodgy shit sometimes. Be careful". Even that would be better than that sloth shit, from a harm-reduction stand point anyway

Or we could have grog ads like this:

I'd like to see an awareness campaign of pill testing kits. Along the lines of "know what you're taking". "so you think you're taking MDMA and know the risks, what about ketamine and methamphetamine" #knowhwhatyouarereallytaking

I'd like to see an awareness campaign of pill testing kits. Along the lines of "know what you're taking". "so you think you're taking MDMA and know the risks, what about ketamine and methamphetamine" #knowhwhatyouarereallytaking

Vice actually did something like this not long ago. Went to some festival and tested the drugs these kids had. Most of what was being sold as meth and MDMA was just bath salts and other unidentifiable nasty shit.

• Like 4

It's the muthafuken D, O dubba G

• Like 3

^ Dunno, but this is a stark reminder of the importance of helmets from a concerned mum, taken from the same site:

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncategorized/toorak-mother-blissfully-unaware-of-her-sons-love-for-punching-cones/

TOORAK mother of three, Diane Williamson, says she couldn’t be happier about her oldest son finding a new group of friends to go skateboarding with – providing they wear helmets.

“So many kids spend all their time inside nowdays, I’m just glad Charlie has found a group of friends that like getting outdoors. I feel like a hip mummy when I use their skateboarding lingo… ‘ripping cones’. ...

• Like 2

cute pricey sloth guys! , well done! defo sounds like there's nuthn wrong with gett'n blazed with amazonian rainforest inhabitants!

*adds sloths to the list of birds, ants & fowls, goats, singers, players of instrument, doctors, nurses, judges, lawyers

that loved it most*

....govt still need to grow up and legalize it though eh? , not the only ones either..