The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
GorrilaGardener

Pinning in pf jars before full coloniZation

Hey guys as the title says I have some jars that are 70-90% colonised and already starting to pin in places. Are these cakes a lost cause? I did use old prints to innoc these jars with. I'm thinking If they go into fruiting before full colonisation could I just take the lifs off and keep topping them up with water after each flush, and just let them fruit in vitro?

goodluck

Edited by Change
  • Like 1

I thought FAE was the major pinning factor and that the light theory was disproven? In saying that the ones that are pinning early are getting slightly more light than the ones that have pinned around the appropriate time which were in a shadier spot, if only slightly

Yeh i have learned most of what i know perusing that forum... should i be wary of what i read there?

No need to be wary of the 'shroomery', take note: if not 100% colonised and trying to pin/mutant/blob its a good sign that there is contamination present, the mycelium is producing fruit to continue it lineage before being overrun, if unsure bury in the ground with aged manure.

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice ETho :) I would have thought that I would seen contamination by now? They have been incubating for a a month roughly now. Not saying that you are wrong mate, just my observations. I thought it was just due to 2 year old spores as even the healthy jars have taken a week or so longer to colonise compared to when I had done inoculations when the print was fresh. Oh well half have been successful at least anyway. Is it still worth taking a print from the succseful harvest even though it's from old spores, or should I just acquire some new ones?

No worries, might be poor genetics, lack of air exchange, contamination, low light levels, don't sweat,

If you print from you current crop your spores are fresh and resetting the genetic lottery, no need to acquire new spores.

Good luck with your endeavours,

• Like 1

Could even be the substrate wasn't packed tight enough, mycelium colonized till they found an edge then started fruiting from there.

alfamiller just meant that if you asked on the shroomery you'll probably get a much better answer than asking here.

• Like 1

Could even be the substrate wasn't packed tight enough, mycelium colonized till they found an edge then started fruiting from there.

alfamiller just meant that if you asked on the shroomery you'll probably get a much better answer than asking here.

i didn't realize that mycelium would go into fruiting by finding an edge, Im guessing you mean because it found the light? I inoculate against the outer edges of the jar so as i can see colonisational progress so it started at the edge technically right? well seems that early fruiting has not affected the colonization as all of the jars have come out fine. so false alarm peoples haha

Ah fair enough, i didn't know how to take what alfamiller said about shroomery. i know it gets a bad rap sometimes. I haven't really made any posts over at shroomery, i haven't really had to yet. I have been posting in this community though so i figured it would just be easier to ask here as i check corroborree frequently. Is mycology not the corroborree members strong point?

There are a lot of experienced amateur mycologists here but for retaining anonymity during studies I believe the shroomery is your best bet, look for posts by 'TC's -Trusted cultivators' or RR.

There are a lot of experienced amateur mycologists here but for retaining anonymity during studies I believe the shroomery is your best bet, look for posts by 'TC's -Trusted cultivators' or RR.

Cheers mate, will do :)

Don't forget Schoey that you can also ask any questions at mateb0x.

I think I'll side with Etho about there being another organism in there preventing it from colonizing the competitor's territory.

I'm thinking that it has fully colonized everything that its able to, so its trying to produce the next generation.

• Like 1

hey cue,

I have been quite slack when it comes to getting on chat :( Last month or so have kept me quite busy. I will jump on there and hit you up though next time i have any questions :)

I'll also try not to be a slack bastard and jump on for a chat soon :P

As for the jars, 95% of the partially uncolonized pinning jars ended up colonizing before the little suckers got to any decent size, and also ended up producing some beautiful flushes :lol:

Gotta love those Shittake :wink:

Might have happened for a number of reasons. Poor strain genetics, presence of a competing contaminant, etc.

• Like 1