The Corroboree
DiscoStu

Do You Give Money To A Junkie Knowing It Will Feed Their Addiction?

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Its interesting how many people (not here but in the world in general) seem to think that "junkies" are easily distinguishable....

Volunteering with iv drug users, it never ceases to surprise me just how many appearances "junkies" take... the stereotype of the iv drug user does exist but there are also equal amounts of individuals with habits that look more than "respectable", cleancut, business like etc....

So theoretically, how does one know that when you hand your money over to anyone, that part of it wont end up to feed a drug habit?

What i mean is, "junkies" dont all look the same, who knows when we are facilitating someones habit?...

I personally wouldn't really think twice in a street situation, ive given many a dollar to "hobos" that may very well just have spent it on alcohol...if i have the change and am approached nicely, chances are if i have it i'll give it, its not my job to nose into what ohers do with themselves :) i dont think spare change on the street will buy much of anything anyway :)

Hell, im probably just going to spend it on alcohol and ciggarettes, so who am i to judge? :)

On the other hand, from someone who grew up watching a loved one fight iv drug addiction, the family stopped giving her money, would always buy food help with bills etc but we all refused to pay for her to directly destroy herself.... but as a kid i always used to kind of wonder "well if her bills and food are paid for shes got more money to spend on shit anyway"....

Hmmm i am unsure, as usual, i am a walking contradiction :)