The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Dozer

Stolen Cacti, Again....

What a bummer - don´t you just HATE thieves !!

I am not complacent - but all my cacti are on my roof terrace. Any thieving scum will have to come through my house to get there (or my neighbour´s).

someone stole my variegated Validus x LJ ... which is fucking odd since I dont know of any fucking body around here that is into cacti...

• Like 1

my take on random stealing is that even in the most 'cacti-illiterate' areas , some cactus that stand out, which is unique and strange, outside the Trichocereus persuation can well be stolen. I know I have thought about it but never did it .

some friend of mine grew a ferocactus for some 3 years , it was at all times outside his tavern, not in my city but at a village close to it... At some point, the ferocactus was stolen. No Aloe, or any of the succlents were stolen.

The same friend, at the same tavern had / has a pachanoi crest. His plant was ripped (he is sure about it ) when he was having a theater play going... perpetrators liked the unusual cactus and stole a part off it, seemingly knowing how to root and grow it..

I blame it to the unusual...

I woud like to apologise to Derk for my extreme reaction...

I hope most of my enthousiasm for this year would go to plants, seeds, and growing.

peace

Reviving a dead topic. Perhaps a bit inappropriate. 

But I have clones of eileen now,  willing to cut- I want to share to repay Sagi for his past generosity. If anybody lives (preferably non American or Aussie, since these plants are obtainable already) somewhere like Canada, or any country with relatively easy/affordable imports- Let me know and I will discuss sending a cut. Definitely would be glad to help a person or two, shipping on me. 

Besides- when I had this sent, I wasn't even aware of Sacred Succulents having a catalogue, including Eileen! The small piece of propogative material would have been better served to another collector in Europe or Canada. 

Also had a major awakening today with discussions in regards to weapons, security, property, life and material preservation. I'm almost bewildered my past disconnection and, perhaps idiocy in this matter. It truly doesn't reflect my perspectives or philosophies and reflects poorly on my current mental standings.
The truth is, if this were another stating these perspectives- I would have held much judgment and felt very unsettled. So I am concerned as to not leave this impression on those and this community.

Also, not to forgive my standings too much, nor to undermine my culture which is beautiful in many ways.
But I am still very young and learning. I 'wake up' still very often.
And the American culture- I grew up in the midwest USA, my family has based in Oklahoma, Oregon, Nebraska, and now we are mostly in Arizona. Lots of military affiliation and victim of the hardass, cowboy mentality and values. Thus, has been a sort of conflict for me to take the values from each that I appreciate, while leaving the flaws and shortcomings best I can. To represent which with integrity, rather than degeneracy... not to perpetuate bad stereotypes considering all of those who are poorly represented. 

Thank you all 

• Like 2

Many of life's problems can be solved/ avoided through good design. An (overly) basic example of this would be to grow your cacti out the back of your house rather than the front. You could also put up sensor lights, or signs saying beware of the dogs, Security camers in operation, tracking devices in use.

Another way to approach the problem, is to share all your clones around so that you can easily replace any that do get stolen.

I don't doubt that owning a gun can aid in your current problem. But you may only need to identify/bust the local thief once to solve the issue rather than shoot the fukcer.

A hypothetical question:

Which would you rather use to solve your problem, a drone with a looped rope to rescue your cacti, or a drone with a gun to shoot the theif?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Halcyon Daze said:

Many of life's problems can be solved/ avoided through good design. An (overly) basic example of this would be to grow your cacti out the back of your house rather than the front. You could also put up sensor lights, or signs saying beware of the dogs, Security camers in operation, tracking devices in use.

Another way to approach the problem, is to share all your clones around so that you can easily replace any that do get stolen.

I don't doubt that owning a gun can aid in your current problem. But you may only need to identify/bust the local thief once to solve the issue rather than shoot the fukcer.

A hypothetical question:

Which would you rather use to solve your problem, a drone with a looped rope to rescue your cacti, or a drone with a gun to shoot the theif?

This is exactly the logic I've realized. Taken the words out of my mouth. Which is why I felt the need, years later, to come and correct!

i leave my posts on the previous page, to show the mentality. Even when writing it, you can see me try to back peddle after I realized that I had in the moment tried to propose that in certain situation, murder would be justified! Even then, I realized how silly it sounds even for a moment, to take an individuals life for possessions we have in our backyards.

It honestly did bewilder me, to realize that back when making my last post, 

Funny, the other day I couldn't even kill a rat that had eaten chunks from a dozen of my favorite cacti. I refuse to use snap traps, you kill 10 lizards for a single rat...

I use no kill traps and take 10 minutes to drive them away from my property.

A friend of mine poked jest at me, and I was actually embarrassed to have a soft spot for these rodents (He said the no kill traps are used to drown the rat, only to release lizards)...

I thought to myself, leave the sentiments- this rat is bad, but it doesn't care about me, it carries disease, it is bad for the environment- so forth.

But I resolved by thinking, it really isn't a big tax to catch em and take em up the street. Or to better secure my gates. After all it's a hot desert. And maybe the rat gets a buzz from some of those plants.

and these are rodents, lol

IMG_2394.JPG

IMG_2394.thumb.JPG.3ffa14304313b282d979aeebdb535487.JPG

IMG_2394.thumb.JPG.3ffa14304313b282d979aeebdb535487.JPG

Edited by Derkshaman
  • Like 2

^^ that is actually pretty sweet, thank you for this and thanks for the PM as well.