The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
AbleKay

2 id's please

Question

picked these up recently with no info, any leads appreciated ,-)

22637988159_1486149ea3_b.jpgCactus by @ablekay47, on Flickr

22637987269_5f533cccfc_b.jpgCactus by @ablekay47, on Flickr

The second one has 10 ribs (apologies for dodgy phone pic)

Edited by AbleKay

7 answers to this question

The first one is some kind of Opuntioid. Maybe Opuntia Subulata. The second one is Trichocereus Thelegonus.

• Like 2

The first one is some kind of Opuntioid. Maybe Opuntia Subulata. The second one is Trichocereus Thelegonus.

Thanks for the quick reply EG, i'm only a few months onto this path so a potentially dumb question, I bought the second one, the trich as potential grafting stock hoping it might be a Spachianus ( the pic was worse than mine ) ...a quick search of "Thelegonus grafting" bought up a lot of Spachianus results - are the 2 synonymous (or alternatively is the Thelegonus good for grafting too?).

re the first one, my googling ended somewhere near Euphorbia Knuthii, but as there seemed to be several thousand plus Euphorbia's I gave up. can I cross them off the list completely do you think?

Thanks again

Edited by AbleKay

Yes, the first one is not an Euphorbia nor any kind of succulent. It´s an Opuntioid. And Trichocereus Spachianus and Thelegeonus are not synonymous and eventhough they seem to be similar at the first sight, both are two completely different cacti. Thelegonus is a creeping cactus that doesnt get much taller than 60 cm and Spachianus is a columnar cactus that can get very big. You can graft on Trichocereus Thelegeonus but it´s actually a little bit too good to be used as a grafting stock. They are amazing and have a beautiful spination. But yeah, you can graft on it if you have no other stocks. If you are looking for good grafting stocks, I can recommend buying yourself a load of Cereus seeds and grafting on them as soon as they are big enough. But Spachianus works too.

• Like 2

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind

I would say Eriocereus / Harissia / Selicereus for the 1st one, but then again, I might be wrong. I dont know why EG says its Opuntiod.

Yeah, most definitely Cylindropuntia, imbricata or something close.

• Like 1