The Corroboree
Conv3rgence

Variegated astrophytum offset propagation, 8 different pups!

That's awesome, looks strange growing from the cut like that.

Would love to see what it looks like now.

Totally wicked

cool! i had an asterias pup like that after the top got eaten off by a rat. wasnt variegated though sadly

i love how you get a snapshot of variegated genetic inheritance, like the probabilities or something... 1 variegated, 1 green, 6 yellow

• Like 1

This is a common propagation technique for Ariocarpus and Astrophytum, to get clones of very nice plants (none of these are mine unfortunately):

22562991393_864df6c450.jpg22894261020_1fc949c879.jpg

22562992273_b786839294.jpg

• Like 6

They look like uncle Chorns plants, I could NEVER cut plants that looked like that!!!

• Like 1

Those Astros look incredible!!

• Like 1

What do you fellas thinks going on with this graft. It's a root graft (about 1-2 months since grafting) of an Astrophytum asterias f. nudum variegata seedling which was around a year old. The graft originally took in a vertical position as you normally see, but began slowly tilting to one side. In the last couple of weeks the furs appeared along with swelling at the graft union. Thought it might just be roots pushing out, but now its getting a bit green too.

IMG 20151126 115400332

Sorry about the shitty pic, will try find a real camera later for a better close up.

• Like 2

The line of fur and growth at the union is any number of growing pups...could be 2, could be 10, but looking like 2. Some might come out normal, others variegated just like the OP plants

Edited by Myeloblast
  • Like 1

i love how you get a snapshot of variegated genetic inheritance, like the probabilities or something... 1 variegated, 1 green, 6 yellow

I do get your point, and agree it is interesting, but......

...this has nothing to do with genetic inheritence. Being that they are offshoots, they are all exactly the same genetically, as they are the one and the same organism. As the name implies, for 'genetic inheritence' you require interaction of the gametes (are they called gametes in plants?) of one parent plant fertilising the other, allowing "genes to be inherited". Or more simply, clones are clones, they don't inherit anything.

Anywhoo convergence, I agree that it is very interesting, and if my knowledge was better, I might even understand why it is interesting :) but I dont hehe. So sorry if I distracted from the point you were making, just wanted to clear up the inheritence issue.

• Like 1

(are they called gametes in plants?)

I believe this to be true

• Like 2

Update

Seems to be anything upto 7 or 8 pups forming (2 main ones and lots of small periphery ones)

IMG 1022

IMG 1021

IMG 1019

And heres another done at the same time. Was perfectly upright, but in the last week started tilting and now has a hair just poking through the most bulging part of the union (not visible in pic)

IMG 1023

• Like 1