The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nut

Aus eBay bans international seed sales?!

I have bought some ario hybrids from an international supplier and have had the packages looked at by aquis but sent on no problems. But I now see and am told that Aus eBay is no longer allowing international vendors to send or sell Seed to Aus. This must have occurred very recently. Does anyone know anything about this?

cuntz

EDIT....lol...to be maybe useful :wink: Try logging in .com instead of .com.au I have found that worked for

some other items once.......

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 1

Why is Ozzie so strict with the imports? Apologies if this is a dumb question- I'm aware that Au is in general more strict than say the US or Canada, with a very different mindset.

I remember the scare when a ban of thousands of plants was proposed in AU- everything and anything with any sort of 'drug' potential. This didn't go through though, right?

I've noticed that nobody in OZ seems to really import plants due to obstacles like expense and vast paperwork.

I'm thankful for the import policies here in the US- it's simple, fast and very affordable to get imports from my friends overseas.

I wish you guys luck! Restrictions for silly things like this... quite annoying.

Edited by Derkshaman

I really don't see how it's ebays problem. Still lots of listings I can buy that are os? Certainly no mail from ebay saying such things? And idk why they are so strict but we have had some bad experiences lol ie cane toads. I remember reading that thread about new laws I think it all worked out as know one has raided my pantry and arrested me for using nutmeg on my apple pie.

• Like 1

i think in relation to cactus the powers that be are worried that anything and everything will end up like prickly pear or harrisia. which just isnt the case, but try telling them that...i did once to no avail. i had a 1200 dollar seed order confiscated years ago and the phone conversation i had with customs or quarantine or whoever it was suggested to me that they are more worried about species running rampant than anything else..., its laughable when your talking about slower growing small cacti.

suffice to say i didnt try that again. oh and also, i paid the 50$ fee to have them returned to the seller, nothing ever happened.

EDIT- was not through ebay

Edited by pinegapcontrol

The vendor I was buying seed from in Italy told me a couple of days ago. I asked because I wanted to get some more Ario hybrid seed and noticed in nasty red letters "Item does not ship to Australia" in the postage details box, now I can't even see all the seeds they used to have listed only the ones I marked as watched. I can still buy from this vendor I just contact them through Facebook. ^ that's terrible to loose so much seed. Aquis didn't mention anything in the letter about the labelled ario seed but they did seize a bag of unlabelled mixed cacti seed the vendor put in as a bonus. They seized them on the grounds they could not be identified but sent on all my ario seed which I was pretty happy about!

I'm betting this seller is getting lots of complaints or negative feedback from silly Australians who don't understand the risk.

I still got my seeds and can get more just not from eBay apparently. The vendor was super helpful I really can't see why someone would leave negative feedback. The only one loosing out from what I can tell is eBay which ain't exactly breaking my heart. I only got two problems now and that's getting them up and onto Peres, they are some pretty sweet crosses.

• Like 1

I did see a couple of vendors from os, Hong Kong and China but all the interesting stuff from that Italian vendor is not up anymore. I just had a look. Might call aquis and ask.

cuntz

EDIT....lol...to be maybe useful :wink: Try logging in .com instead of .com.au I have found that worked for

some other items once.......

Yep, for how long who knows? anything with a .au is mostly pointless. And expensive.

Most times if a need some part to make something i cant get it on ebay australia. most other ebays display actual useful things. things folks would want to buy. Items people can actually use.

Australian ebay has turned into another pile of... selling generic crap nobody wants. Just like the "brick and morter" stores (i don't waste my time with anymore. no range, high prices, no service, offensive policy's that imply I'm some thief, etc. etc. etc., and now they wish to piss me about with parking, waste as much of my time as they can in every store found along the km long lineal walkways designed to waste your time, like i don't exist, till i demand service.. for what, a feeble bid to make me pay parking... joke).

perhaps ebay australia (the stupidest ebay) should sell "insurance" too?

A country gone mad.. there are several seeds that can be imported to australia without issues. if ebay wants to continue to destroy themselves with greed and stupidity, let them.. there are many company's to deal with. ebay put a gun to its own head a few years ago now, how long can they play with the trigger before it all ends? not too long now I'd say. In short, Fuk ebay.

Edited by ghosty
  • Like 2

Sounds like ya'll could use the services of a reshipper.......

• Like 4

If evilbay has actually made this a policy, it would be very interesting to know why they have decided that they do not want the $'s from international seed sales?

Since this is not a grubbyment ruling,.If you can change your location with ebay, cant you just send the seller a msg to inquire about the item/seed and explain your position to start a dialog outside of ebay

You might be able to side step ebay? it would mean making a claim against a seller difficult, but if you kept the $ value relatively small what would it matter?

Find a friend overseas if you have one, or get a remailer service as zelly said, use a gmail.com or similar email, if possible make sure seeds and labels fit requirements before their final leg. Small amounts of contaminants can be a death knoll. Double packaging is good for small orders from commercial vendors particular if opaque.

Tried to call AQUIS twice, was on hold for 20 mins the first time before getting cut off. Called back to be told that I should call back in business hours. Was 1415 hrs, forgot the west coast is 3 hrs behind. Will try again tomorrow if I want to waste anymore life span.

why dont we all just buy stuff (and sell too) on etsy? ebay isnt the only online system for such. you can get some interesting plants on etsy. let ebay destroy itself...

The more peole who start to sell on there will attract others obviously. shouldn't take too long to make etsy (or another of our choice) the new site for plants / seeds etc.?

don't think they have issues with offshore shipping to AU. we still have the normal import laws to protect out crops and unique environment. unless this change is to stop all seed / plant imports (that would put another cork in our economy, so i would expect it to happen).

Be good if you can get some answers Nut.

Edited by ghosty

OK. Got off phone to AQIS. There is no new changes to any import laws as such. in a blanket sense. there may well be some changes made to the permitted plants / seeds lists though. you guys would have to check that as you consider buys what you seek. the system is as it was 12 months ago so to speak. either ebay folks are getting more concerned with whats aloud to be imported to Australia, and wishing to comply with our regulations better, or ebay is just learning how to become a bigger dick.

In short, Nothing has changed concerning our plant / seed import laws.

So, um... YAY

Edited by ghosty
  • Like 1

Good work Ghosty!! Thanks for checking that out.

yeah no worries mate. found myself with some spare time and had the phone handy.