The Corroboree
Yeti101

What is it like to be....?

kostochka-2015-11-5-bat.jpg

(From Daily Nous)

• Like 1

i have a pretty good feeling that this comic refers to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism

(that's a meaty entry! i may be forced to read some of it if this thread comes alive)

of course the comic and it's author might just be a figment of my own imagination (or whatever it is i'm experiencing).

maybe the author just thinks it's funny that a hero needs a headshrink, and let's face it, batman probably does (though who are we to judge?).

who am i to interpret the mind of another? i certainly don't attribute anyone else the ability to interpret my mind.

Edited by ThunderIdeal
  • Like 1

As a child I loved horses, so much that I wanted to be one, so I cantered around on all fours and got surprisingly quick at it. I would whinney, let people ride on my back and eventually gathered a herd (other children who would canter around the school oval with me.) At home my parents found this behavior disturbing and tried to discourage it. Horses are power animals and can help with stamina and endurance in the human psyche and physical body. I am also Sagittarius born in the year of the horse but this did not stop me from being an eagle, a tree, a mountain, water, rock, fire, air, god, bear, cat, snake and others. It is always fun to be something else when you are not happy just being!

• Like 3

yeti, so the joke is funnier than i thought? batman isn't sure if he can know what it's like for a bat to be a bat.

i can say that i've been trying to work my way through all nine pages. i don't have a lot of practice following this kind of discourse closely, i mean, it's easy to speed read anything, and even easier to just springboard into one's own philosophical musings. is that the purpose of this discussion? if so i already have a lot to say and it does seem to all deal with the same problem that nagel's argument is addressing, mind body, or in my own words, what the fuck is life, what the fuck are we, and just what in the hell is fucking going on?

actually i can articulate myself better than that, but i want to have an honest stab at comprehending before presuming to open my fat trap. this post is just to say that this thread hasn't passed by yet.

• Like 1

I had a dream.

I was the pure embodiment of this creature. It was, in our terms, pure evil.

It was, very disturbing.

I think animals MOST LIKELY fully embody themselves, and it takes a special human imagination to imagine being something else.

The better you are at it, the more intelligent you become.

The flipside is, of course, that we distance ourselves from embodying ourselves, our own bodies.

Which is why we have a disconnect from nature.

probably his problem is the oral sex bats perform before sex? they cant get through his carbon kevlar undies???

thats no shit. bats perform oral sex yes. depending on witch species it may be the male going down or.... the female yay.

batman isn't sure if he can know what it's like for a bat to be a bat.

Yep, that's about size of it.

i can say that i've been trying to work my way through all nine pages. i don't have a lot of practice following this kind of discourse closely, i mean, it's easy to speed read anything, and even easier to just springboard into one's own philosophical musings. is that the purpose of this discussion? if so i already have a lot to say and it does seem to all deal with the same problem that nagel's argument is addressing, mind body, or in my own words, what the fuck is life, what the fuck are we, and just what in the hell is fucking going on?

It can be tough going - I tried to read it again for the first time in years and it took me a while to get into it. If it's something you are not familiar with, then you've done you brain a favour by trying to tackle it. I had hoped for some spring-boarding into discussion, but was too lazy that day to do any of my own (sorry). So if you've got some musings to bust out, go for it!