The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Idon'tstudydinosaurs

ID-found growing in fern from Bunnings

Question

19 answers to this question

Very nice!

I guess it could easily be a slightly odd looking P. subaeruginosa, I tried to find something that would fit better, but no luck. Still, you should preserve a piece of tissue if you one day find someone who would want to look at it under the scope.

• Like 3

Bwahaha, just in case the Bunnings nursery staff didn't get enough trippers in there already for their cactus, now we'll all be in there poking about in the fern pots too..

What type of fern is it?

Sorry I have nothing to offer regarding ID - it does look very interesting though, almost good enough to eat.

• Like 5

Take a print!

There are others here with a much better idea than me, but I agree that it does look kind of subby.

Never paid much attention to the ferns in Bunnings - that's going to change now!

Edit: spelling

Edited by Yeti101
  • Like 4

Spore print won't be of much help in terms of identification in this case, many Psilocybe have spores of similar shape and size. But someone with knowledge and experience might be able to determine the species based on cystidia and basidia, thus a tissue sample.

• Like 2

I have also noticed that the bruising is not instant. It takes around half hour to turn blue.

The substrate is also mostly woodchips,no manure has been used.

Temps under the patio have been mild for summer (25-30C).

They just keep popping up.

Does this delayed bruising point to any species?

Not really, it would just point to it having a lower percentage of psilocin, but most wood digesting species usually do.

take the sporeprint to confirm its a psylo...

there are also member of Pluteus that are bruising..

stamets book on these genuses can be found in pdf format on the web its pretty cool.

awesome find nevertheless!

• Like 1

This is a Psilocybe species without a smidgen of doubt. Pluteus have tightly-spaced white to pinkish gills, and grow directly from wood.

That's true. It also has an unusual patterned stipe for a woodlover.

You should ask Alan Rockefeller either on facebook or Shroomery. He's a go-to guy, (he's a very active mycologist), for psilocybes and should be able to put you on the right track.

https://www.facebook.com/alan.rockefeller

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showprofile.php?User=169393

I am nowhere near a psilocybe expert but it just doesn't look quite right to be a psilocybe to me.... The stipe and top of the cap look a bit off. Could be the pics, or my interpretation of them and lack of knowledge.....

• Like 2

Some potting mixes have some small pieces of wood. and yeah, I forgot you have summer there, crazy bogans. its winter here.

• Like 1

My guess would be Psilocybe alutecea or something weird. Could be a sub but it has a number of unusual characteristics based on that one photo. Examination of the cystidia under a microscope might be more helpful although DNA is better.

I wonder if the fern has a mycorrhizal association, I can see some blue bruising on the third immature fruit,

Edited by Etho

I don't think these are P. alutacea as they have a pronounced nipple on the top of the pileus, and these don't.

These do resemble a yet to be named Psilocybe sp. that has been found in potted plants before. It's close to P. moravica but is probably somethng different.

Some links:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/14381066#14381066

http://mushroomobserver.org/7388?q=2hrpI

You should save and dry a specimen for DNA sequencing. Contact me if you want to sequence it.

• Like 2

i suppose you know moravica=arcana=serbica=boemica , huh?

I'd love it your subs to be sequenced and compared to serbica, cyanescens and azurescens clusters from europe. plus cyanofibrilosa cyanescens and azurescens from us

I sure do.

I'd really like to get these sequenced.