The Corroboree
obtuse

EGA Super Plant Meet this weekend: updated information

It is with great pleasure we announce special EGA Melbourne Plant meet. Please bring seed, plants or goodies to trade with fellow plant heads.

Where: Abbotsford Convent Room: Oratory

Date: 6th December

Cost: Free

Time: 12.30 - 5.30

We have 4 EGA speakers for your education and listening pleasers.

*Sebastian Job: The Light of the Toad of Light

Talk duration: 20 minutes + 10 minutes Q and A

Presentation Synopsis:

Users of the powerful naturally occurring tryptamine 5-MeO-DMT frequently report that they are briefly dissolved into IT, pure being-nothing, the energetic void, infinite love, or as many simply say, the Light. Obviously this Light is not an 'object' in the ordinary sense, and users invariably stress its ineffable character. In this talk Sebastian will be considering how we might think about this Light and its socio-cultural significance.

BIO:

Sebastian Job, PhD, is Honorary Associate in the Department of Anthropology at the University of Sydney and Visiting Lecturer at the National Institute of Dramatic Art. His research in recent years has centred on the entheogenic uses of psychoactive substances both in Australia and Latin America, with a particular interest in the environmental, political and philosophical significance of the cultures of use of these substances.

**Carl TuneIn: Giving Exotic Ethnobotanicals the Conditions They Need*

Presentation synopsis:

Carl TuneIn will give an outline of seven of the major environmental factors affecting plant vitality. Then, using well-known ethnobotanicals, he will show "how to successfully grow everything from tropicals to alpines in Melbourne". The audience will then share their own successful techniques and vexing problems.Personal or organization

Bio:

Carl has worked in many fields (education, computing, manufacturing, military, farming), and has six tertiary qualifications (from public policy to surgical theatre nursing). He's successfully grown ~40 different species of ethnobotanicals, and gardened in California, Oregon, Idaho, West Australia, New Zealand, and Victoria.

***Arik Reiss: The Pathologisation of Cannabis Use in the Mainstream Media.

Talk duration: 20-30 minutes + 10 minutes Q and A

Presentation synopsis: Arik will be discussing media representations of cannabis and how mainstream perspectives based on "pathology" or "otherness" frame much of the public discourse. He will suggest ways to rectify these misrepresentations to create a more favourable image and thereby improve the possibilities of changing drug policies.Personal or organization

Bio: Arik Reiss is the director of "Druglawed" and "Inside New Zealand: High Time?", documentary films discussing the failures of cannabis prohibition. Arik has been working full time on drug policy media since 2008. His third film on the subject of cannabis, Druglawed 2, is currently in production.

**** Michael Bock: Shamanic Plants of New Guinea

Presentation synopsis: Whilst there is no evidence of the Australian Aboriginies using any plants shamanically (apart from one reported use of Pituri), the indigenous people of New Guinea (which was part of mainland Australia until a few thousand years ago) used many shamanic plants. This talk explores what we know about the Shamanic Plants of New Guinea.

Bio:

Longtime researcher of Australasian flora, Michael has presented many varied topics at EGA, all based on an aspect of Australasian natural history to bring his research to a wider audience.

For info on the film screenings see the following links;

The EGA main page -

Sydney Facebook event page -https://www.facebook...68407116840338/

Melbourne Facebook event page -

Edited by obtuse
  • Like 5

You guys down south have all the fun.

You guys down south have all the fun.

like in..............down south of the zippa?

or

like in..............down south in the sea

or in the fact that taxation is a weird rich peoples folly

• Like 2

FOMO. My current work schedule is the bain of my existence. Have fun everyone and behave.

cheers

Will see if I can make it down. Last years was awesome :)

Don't see any mention of the plant meet on the EGA website or that facebook page...
I'm flying form Sydney to Melbourne on the 5th and can only come to the plant meet.
I've wanted to attend one of the meetups in yonks but I don't post, let alone visit recently so usually mis-time the Melbourne meet events on the gardens!

Can someone fill me in?

we will have updates on the plant meet in the coming week. the date is set for the 6th of december.

plus we have had to wait for confirmation of our location.

The main focus has been getting the film screening organised, so apologies for delays on info.

Look forward to seeing you at the plant meet. it will be well worth it based on previous years meetups.

Edited by obtuse
  • Like 1

Yes Obtuse, it will be a special day that for sure, i am just cutting the final event info together now so you should not have to keep people waiting much longer.

There are 5 speed lectures scheduled for the day ;-)

;-)

R

Thanks Obtuse for updating the main post with all the full info

Edited by RonnySimulacrum
  • Like 2

updated my first post. and hope to see many of you at the film and plant meet.

• Like 2

will see you all at the plant meet!

Cannot wait peeps, four plant talks and some cool kids to hang out with, Dinner and beer on site, what more do we want that's legal ;-)

I will have some very special trees available :) Looking forward to seeing you all there!

2ujpfdc.jpg

• Like 1

The convent Gardener in keen for donation for the garden, so if anyone has some extra plants they would love to give a good home to let myself or Obtuse know.

• Like 1

The convent Gardener in keen for donation for the garden, so if anyone has some extra plants they would love to give a good home to let myself or Obtuse know.

Would they want cactus?

Yes Cactus and anything really is fine ;-) Natives even better ;-)

R

I'm really looking forward to Sunday. Sounds like I'm the first speaker (CarlTuneIn) at 12:30.

Will be giving away living plants to participants. A bonus for tough questions from the audience. Even more for pointing out any mistakes I make.

See you then. Be there, or be cube.

Carl

• Like 1

anyone coming that has some loph pollen they could bring?