The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
PositiveHAL

Hayfever remedies

Please share if you have any

A little desperate over here

• Like 2

i take 1 fexofenadine(telfast) 180mg a day. does wonders :)

some antihistimine medications are pretty effective. I guess i'm looking for some natural ye olde remedies that people have taken to and gotten results. My local market sells fresh horseradish, im wondering if taking that in large daily doses would help?

as a side note i just read that the old school OTC antihistimine Phenergan also acts as a weak anti psychotic which is interesting

Interesting that you mention Phenergan - I always find Polaramine does the trick.

Interesting that you mention Phenergan - I always find Polaramine does the trick.

do you use it for days on end right through spring? any unwanted side effects?

Phenergan is an anti psychotic ?

Do they just class anything that knocked you out or sedates you as an psychotic these days ?

nah its to do with how it acts on brain chemistry, nothing to do with its sedating quality.

MODS: i since found other similar threads with alot of good input. can we get the threads merged?

I gave my son promethazine (phenergan) once on a doctor's advice to assist with treatment of his allergic eczema. He came out of his bedroom wide eyed and talking about the owl that was watching him from the corner. So I have my doubts about its effectiveness as an antipsychotic!

• Like 2

Change - it's a dopamine antagonist, among other things. Supposedly antagonist at 5ht2a receptors too - I remember reading reports from people who had taken the stuff pre-emptively to ward off nausea during trips (it's also used as a motion-sickness med) who just said it made the trip feel "flat", but didn't block it. It's one of the old school of anti-histamines, before they invented these "non-drowsy" versions. It can knock you out pretty good, one of the "mummy's little helper" class of meds. I believe they often mixed it with a mild stim for daytime use - before I discovered other meds for motion-sickness, it would take 200mg+ of caffeine to offset half a (25mg?) tablet, so pretty sedating yeah. Unless you actually want the sedation, or can't afford the non-drowsy sort (phenergan is much cheaper), go for the newer types like telfast.

• Like 1

I've seen horseradish, garlic and vit c sold as hayfever remedy so is worth a go maybe. I think mustard makes you produce excess mucus doesn't it? Could be good for flushing out your sinuses...

If you think of hayfever as a condition related to asthma, eczema and arthritis there are many natural remedies that may help
as i see it ... possibilities being antihistamines, anti-inflammatories, adaptogens,
& depending on what your main symptoms are try for symptomatic relief also
so if your'e wheezy the look to the respiratory herbs etc.

as i’m having trouble with my eyes i got some eyebright extract, + fish & krill oil
i'm also taking withania extract (adaptogen), boswellia serrata extract (anti-inflammatory), propolis (bioflavonoids) , vit b5

& starting on the medicinal mushroom extracts.

there are natural antihistamines, nettle is said to be a good one

i’ve had this shit for 20 yrs , neva usually take antihistamine pills but this season if i’m going in the garden or mowing the lawn :/ its impossible. Cetirizine zonked me for 24 hrs. Fexofenadine doesnt make me drowsy but its not totally effective, at least i can go be outside in the garden after taking it.

could try bee pollen? i dunno

Tried many things in the past.,, only thing that ever actually worked was duboisia myoporoides leaf chewing. Which has its side effects as well.
I found eating camembert cheese would coat my throat so it wouldn't itch... seriously (desperate)
Cucumber slices or frozen teaspoons on the eyelids

• Like 2

Osha root (Ligusticum porteri) is reported to help many people who experience hayfever, cedar fever and allergies.

It is often ingested in capsules but a chunk the size of a thumbjoint can be broken up and used for a making a decoction or a tea. The vapors coming off a cup of tea can also help clear congestion in a person's head and sinuses whether it is from allergies or a head cold.

In Austin I had a number of friends report that the use of Osha helped desensitize them to their responses to the massive juniper pollen releases that occur there (producing what gets referred to as cedar fever). Those trees in the hills around Austin crank out so much pollen that look like they are smoking during that time of year.

Edited by trucha
  • Like 1

I'd avoid Phenergan - a friend who used it for travel sickness would become non-functional after dosing. You could get them to move and sometimes respond, but generally only by forcing them to. Not a state I would want myself or anyone else to be in. Unsure of the dose that was used.

The cheapest non-drowsy anti-histamine I can find is Loratidine in a 10mg tablet, which works great for reducing the hard sweling I get on insect bites. Has anyone ever used it for hayfever?

Yerba Mansa (Anemopsis californica)

Self Heal (Prunella vulgaris)

Nettles (Urtica dioica, U.pilulifera, U.urens)

Horseradish (Cochlearia armoracea)

Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare)

Ma-huang

Raw Honey

:)

• Like 1

Thanks for all the valuable input people

I always use codine for colds/ hayfever myself. works a treat, but such pills are filled with tons and tons of unwanted destructive shit. Thus, been after a natural plant medicine for this for some time now. due to misuse and irresponsible people and the laws such have brought about, i cant grow anything for it as such.

On that note, has anyone tried any of the incarvillea plants for hayfever / colds / runny nose? once i get this sorted i dont see how i shall ever buy anything ever again from big pharm :wink:

With their know best / know nothing approach to "service", that's just fine with me.

Coedine is the reason i have not suffered more than 3 hours to any cold / fever / hayfever / runny nose etc. in more than a decade. Some d!khed pharma clowns still think they know best, trying to sell me some crap i dont want and makes everything worse.

Just coedine (15-30mg).

I'm becoming convinced that those who ask for treatments don't actually even want them. you can hand people the cure they need and they refuse and continue to ask.. LOL.

If anyone actually wants to do some interesting research on incarvillea plants for such, I'd LOVE to hear their findings.

Edited by ghosty

as soon as you head indoors, wash the pollen off your hands and face. it makes a huge difference.

ma huang (ephedra) was mentioned - chinese medicine says you should steer clear of it for hayfever. hayfever's considered a hot-natured condition, so it should be treated with cool medicinals. ma huang is one of the hottest herbs we have, so it's likely to exacerbate symptoms if used incorrectly.

try a tea with sage, peppermint, chrysanthemum, and goji berries instead. should help clear the hayfever and treat the accompanying feverishness, sore throat, and dry eyes. add a bit of crushed magnolia bud as well if you have it to help open the sinuses, but you don't need much of this and it isn't entirely necessary.

in a pinch, plain old peppermint tea is usually adequate - along with my above advice to wash off the pollen.

Edited by Scarecrow
  • Like 1

"ma huang (ephedra) was mentioned - chinese medicine says you should steer clear of it for hayfever. hayfever's considered a hot-natured condition, so it should be treated with cool medicinals. ma huang is one of the hottest herbs we have, so it's likely to exacerbate symptoms if used incorrectly."

Well said. I agree. :wink:

as soon as you head indoors, wash the pollen off your hands and face. it makes a huge difference.

Good tip.

Another thing you could try is a saline nasal spray to also wash your nose + sinus of any pollen, too.

These are natural (basically just measured salt water), and can be cheap, or not so cheap (like FESS -- F***ing Expensive Saline Solution).

You can make them yourself with sterilised water, and even add things like tiny drops of ginger, lemon or tea-tree oils.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone's mentioned bala. Sida cordifolia is plentiful, easy to grow, and ime pretty decent against hayfever and congestion.

• Like 1