The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Derkshaman

Vines & Climbers / Shade Plants

Lately I'm doing a lot of work in the garden. Besides constructing a hoop house, there is also a large alley in my yard that I'm filling with potted cacti.

On one side of the alley is wrought-iron railing. In the afternoon, some pretty intense sun shines down through this railing and I am hoping to set up some plants as buffers to provide a bit of shade blocking. Really any kind foliage will be helpful, but if possible I'd like to plant some climbers. Only interested in perennials- I get attached to my plants.

I'm interested in plants that are fast growing and can survive some intense sun. Most interested in something that climbs, or vines of some sort... but also would appreciate suggestions for bushes. I live in zone 9a, so triple digit summers are typical... the location intend to plant is mostly full sun, so this thins out the possibilities quite a bit. If it grows well in AU, it would probably do alright in my climate. The most important feature is to tolerate sun and grow relatively fast. I don't mind watering often or some work to get the plant established. Culturally valuable plants are always a plus- if there is ethnobotanic history, pretty flowers, or any use that is awesome but it definitely isn't a must.

I'm avoiding the plant 'cat's claw' because it is rather invasive and very messy. One plant in particular is appealing to me and seems suited for the job; the plant is passion vine- a sort of variant of passion flowers. Does anyone have any experience with this plant?

Sorry for the broad thread- I'm kind of thinking out loud. Would love to hear the communities' thoughts too, and maybe you can introduce me to some new plants. Will post a photo soon too if it helps give people ideas.

Appreciate everyone reading this :)

Edited by Derkshaman

I hear they also do well in hard sun? This is my original plan but I still need some confirmation :wink:

Hard to go past some of the passifloras.

Edited by Derkshaman

2nd vote for passiflora, it grows like a weed and should overtake the fence in no time, providing stunningly beautiful flowers for you and your neighbour. Also the dried flowers a mild MAOI, and sleep aid / relaxant.

• Like 1

Rivea Corymbosa is good too, I have punished this vine with direct sun, frequently 35deg C + in summer with little water and it powers on, bountiful seed harvest :-)

Handled exsposure to 40degrees (about 104) but only a handful of days get that hot here

Edited by doublebenno

Rivea Corymbosa is good too, I have punished this vine with direct sun, frequently 35deg C + in summer with little water and it powers on, bountiful seed harvest :-)

Handled exsposure to 40degrees (about 104) but only a handful of days get that hot here

Awesome, thank you- I will look into these. In my climate, during summer, we have weeks of ~110 degree weather usually. But if it has managed 104, it seems to be worth a shot.

rivea will take the heat if it has water or is in ground for a bit. the bigger worry is the seeds spreading once it throws out flowers, i had to kill mine in some locations to avoid it getting into the wild here.

Paasifloras should go fine in full sun, or maybe you can inter-plant them with other vines to start with if they need more shelter when young (sometimes nursery plants have led a very sheltered life & need to be hardened up slowly). Aside from the medicinal uses, there are many varieties with edible (& delicious!) fruits, and they all have great flowers. P. ligularis & quadrangularis always catch my eye:

240px-Passiflora_quadrangularis-IMG_4479

A hoop house would be ideal for harvesting fruit. :drool2:

P. edulis grows as a weed in Oz, eg. along the sides of roads & in disturbed forest areas. It can form really solid shade once it gets going, even to the extent of choking & over-shading other plants, so keep an eye on it if it grows well - it's not invasive though. If you get cold winters it may lose its leaves & then grow back in spring. You get most flowers/fruit if you grow them up off the ground & prune the vines each year. Vines are supposed to only live for 7-8years or thereabouts, and sometimes succumb to fungus & root-rot & so on, so if you want to grow them it may be best to plant a few varieties or do staggered plantings every few years so you don't lose all your vines at once if this does happen.

• Like 1

Here is an older photo - it's at least 3x larger now and flowering every day with dozens of blooms. I will try to get a new pic up soon.

Phoenix, AZ - yes it survives the heat

WoodRose-2.jpg