The Corroboree
rahli

Alicia anisopetala working thread and seed giveaway

Hi folks,

I'm putting together a working thread for Alicia anisopetala.

I am asking for folks to research and compile information on this plant. Each member can put together a post in whatever format they wish, covering all and any aspect of this plant. Please edit any additonal info into your existing post so each participant only has one post.

There is a seed giveaway to the top 3 posts according to number of likes. Voting will cease once the seeds are ready to havest and sufficeint info is compiled in the thread (the thread stops for 4 days after the seeds are ripe. I'll check the edit dates).

post-3173-0-55828000-1444545121_thumb.jp

post-3173-0-25427200-1444545115_thumb.jp

Flowers on Sept 20th

post-3173-0-06465400-1444545130_thumb.jp

Seeds on October 11th.

I can only send to within Australia and according to your local quarantine laws.

It would also be great if the winners have the experience, knowledge and garden space to grow this vine out to its full potential and further distribute the genetics among the community.

Looking forward to reading everyone contibutions to the working thread.

post-3173-0-25427200-1444545115_thumb.jpg

post-3173-0-55828000-1444545121_thumb.jpg

post-3173-0-06465400-1444545130_thumb.jpg

post-3173-0-25427200-1444545115_thumb.jpg

post-3173-0-55828000-1444545121_thumb.jpg

post-3173-0-06465400-1444545130_thumb.jpg

Edited by rahli
  • Like 14

Phaemon's Dog here - Hell yeah! - All my knowledge is that slivers of the wood polished make outstanding jewellery pendants and until this decade no-one outside Americas had even heard of it! Or could even confirm it was real. Oh, and it's known as the yage' of thunder. Friends in High places recommend its use by only the most experienced shaman in the solitary work of brujero ​where they will enter the spirit underworld to cast spells, break the spells cast by others and conform phantoms...scary! Visions of this world are said to be tinted green. The other three yage' are used for healing, vision quests and ceremonies. Now that I've got a little research done I begin to see the extent of the conflicting accounts! There is a lot of rivalry getting about the information isn't there. This is definitely something I will bring to Pat Uri's attention - he got some influence in South A​merica with the tobacco scene, genetic analysis labs, etc. and might get some straight answers!

I'll swap you:- 1) its weight in gold; + 2) Pat Uri's password; +3) equivalent quantity in B.caapi seed; and +4) I'll even throw in photos of EtherealDrifter's pussy!

Accept my offer or I'll post bomb you with a whole album of photos of EtherealDrifter's pussy!

First, suckers!!! P's Dog.

Edited by Pat Uri
  • Like 12

Black thunder.

From the Malpighiaceae family, 'Black Yage' is from from the Peruvian rainforests, growing up to 6 meters tall. Difficult to germinate, with the thick seed coating requiring scarification similar to other related seed, and can take weeks to months to germinate. The seeds have an interesting butterfly shape that differs from the single winged shape seeds of Caapi.

Here are some nice drawings I found.

post-16827-0-86003300-1444557058_thumb.g

The butterfly wing shaped seed with casing can be seen at the top left.

post-16827-0-86003300-1444557058_thumb.gif

post-16827-0-86003300-1444557058_thumb.gif

Edited by Conv3rgence
  • Like 5

A lot of conflicting information online.

A plant from South America often compared to Black Cappi.

Seems to have some simularities to Black Caapi in effect but, lingering positives effects re mood up to a week longer ,potentiates Mary jane/smoked dmt, claims that increases the overall strength & duration of entheogens.

Reports of increased body temperature,glowing/metalic quality to vision,MAO inhibition,effects harmala like.One claim that at 45gms no effects except for nausea ,other claim active at 50gm.

Found a claim that the plant was tested and,that the leaves contained Dmt ,i dont know if that was ever confirmed

We need some personal experiences to confirm the effects

• Like 2

Alicia anisopetala, also known as Black Ayahuasca, Trueno, Thunder and Black Caapi is a plant found in Bolivia, Brazil and Peru that belongs to the Malpighiaceae family. It's a rare and largely undocumented plant that is purported to contain both tryptamines and beta carbolines.

image.jpg

It does seem that there is very limited information about this plant and if given the chance to grow some seeds I will definitely put seeds, seedlings and cuttings back into this community at my cost. I've just bought a nice 5 acre property on the side of a hill with undulating land and a lot of spots that range from full sun to fully shaded. I chose this property because it has a northerly aspect and turn the key on 6th November. My idea is to plant it out with as many plants that suit the environment.

• Like 2

Ooh cool giveaway mate. I've been trying to research this mysterious liana for some time and never has a plant sent me in so many circles.

The Genus name Alicia honors the French Botanist Alicia Lourteig(1913-2003). There are only two species in the genera which belong to the family Malpighiaceae. The other species being A.macrodisca. Both species are widespread in South America, growing in forests and woodlands, secondary vegetation and along rivers. One of its distinguishing features are densely hairy white/pink/lilac petals that are completely concealed by the sepals during enlargement of the bud. I could go on a bit here but i'll spare you all the incomprehensible botanical jargon.

In terms of its ethnobotanical usage, well.... Every scant piece of data I come across seems to have an equal and opposing force so to speak. Some internet sites claim that it contains both beta carboline and tryptamine alkaloids and yet analysis have proven otherwise. Some sites speak of it being used for divination in the same way that B.caapi is utilized yet I challenge anyone to find a Paper with reference to its usage in any traditional/medicinal form. I found an obscure paper by a ethnobotanist who was studying traditional aya usage with the Matses(I think from memory) who states that he took a sample to a tribal elder and was told that it was "just a jungle vine". On related Ethno Forums the subjective experiences seem to be conflicted.

None of this is conclusive?? In terms of the scientific botanical literature, the plant knowledge in the Amazon Basin and Guiana Shield is vast, there's a hell of alot we don't know. The Ethnobotanist was only with one tribe of many in the region that utilise Aya. The forums are merely conjecture. And just because it has tested negative for B carboline alkaloids doesn't mean it's not active.

My personal opinion is that it does not have a history of ethnobotanical usage. Whether this is from a mis ID in the field like what may or may not of been the case with P.cartha (Shultes&Hofmann 1992), or a language barrier/ miscommunication between a Traditional Healer and a western Scientist, or even dodgy oversees vendors whom are finding something else to pillage from the Amazon and sell to discerning customers. This is only my opinion and I would love to be wrong.

At the end of the day it is a beautiful liana with shimmering silver leaves and gorgeous flowers typical of the family. It would also grow very well in FNQ :wink:

• Like 2

Get your contribution to the working thread in folks. Seeds are mostly ripe. Only a few left to rippen then it's coming to a close.

• Like 1

Thanks folks for contributing to the thread. Pm your details and you will receive some seeds.

• Like 2

All seed packs have been posted. 5 packs with around 10 seeds each.

I would be great to have germination rates updated in the thread.

• Like 2

Seeds received mate, many thanks!

Will get these down ASAP and post in this thread with results..

Thanks again Rahli :wub:

• Like 1

Seeds ripened around the begining of November

post-3173-0-62798700-1447547532_thumb.jp

post-3173-0-73735700-1447547535_thumb.jp

post-3173-0-59230000-1447547538_thumb.jp

post-3173-0-62798700-1447547532_thumb.jpg

post-3173-0-73735700-1447547535_thumb.jpg

post-3173-0-59230000-1447547538_thumb.jpg

post-3173-0-62798700-1447547532_thumb.jpg

post-3173-0-73735700-1447547535_thumb.jpg

post-3173-0-59230000-1447547538_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

will be sowing soon, just need to make another humidity chamber, I've got an old aquarium ready, its just needing a clean :) My other one is currently full germinating those three free caapi strains from sharetheseeds, although only the tuncuta has sprouted so far. I'll post updates in this thread, I will probably be sowing alicia tomorrow.

• Like 2

Sowed Alicia on 17/11. Used a diluted hydrogen peroxide (approx 0.06%) soak for 3 hours before sowing, burying up to the depth of the seed head. I left the wings intact and attached, folded together like a butterfly with closed wings. I used small pots inside an old aquarium with plexiglass on top with a slight air gap and a heat mat underneath. Soil mix was a rich potting mix, amended with perlite, pumice, spongolite, zeolite, and pumice sand grains.

This same method has given very good germination rates with 3 different Caapi strains, but I have no idea how his will work out for Alicia. I can only hope that maintaining appropriate levels of humidity, heat and light, as well as daily misting and air exchange, can deliver good results. I will post pictures only when I see a sprout.

• Like 2

Here's my little Alicia. About 2 or 3 months old I think, from seed from EF if I remember rightly

IMG 1006

• Like 2

Hey Cubism,

Where did you get the seed from?

All of my plants came from Kiwiboancaya seed around the end of 2010.

The give away seeds are the first setting i've got on one of my 5 vines. Would love to know if some of the clones i have distributed have already set seed or if your seed came from elsewhere.

Thanks

Edited by rahli

I think it was from the member endorfinder. No idea where he got it from though mate.

Thanks

• Like 1

They originated from World Seed Supply. Did I send you other varieties too Cubism?

• Like 1

I think you were gonna send some caapi at a later date. All good though, no need now.

• Like 1

I had some muricata and "white aya" seeds too, can't remember who got them though :(