The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
trucha

Interesting reads

Question

Todos las cactus de Peru by Carlos Ostolaza

http://www.minam.gob.pe/diversidadbiologica/wp-content/uploads/sites/21/2014/02/cactusdelperu.pdf

This book has my vote for being the best book thusfar written about Peruvian cacti/

Joël LODÉ's site has a summary of their recent revision of Cactacae

http://cactus-aventures.com/Taxonomy_of_the_Cactaceae_Index_of_Synonyms_&_errata.pdf

I have not yet seen the parent work but that will hopefully change in the very near future.

• Like 8

5 answers to this question

thanks for recommending! ima book guy, but ive only ever read one on cacti. most ly use cacti books for reference. Ill have to order this one. thanks again!!

I saw this a few months ago.

It has some amazing photos.

Now who's working on an English translation? :)

Spanish is actually pretty easy to deal with even if a person does not speak Spanish. Especially in Carlos' clear writing style which is aimed at a general audience.

The text can be copied and pasted into google translate or into freetranslation.org which will both typically produce a very horrible translation.

From there use Reverso to nail the words down and 80-90% of the contents will become intelligible. Mark Faint's Turbinicarpus website has a nice multilingual taxonomic words glossary that can fill in the crucial blanks in Reverso's vocabulary.

My reading comprehension increases dramatically every year due to not letting myself be intimidated by my lack of fluency. I'd be totally screwed if I had to avoid reading Spanish, German or French language publications. (And most of us, perhaps even all of us, also have friends who can help out with the trouble spots that we can't resolve.) Personally I wish I was fluent in a dozen languages so as not to constantly feel like I am deprived of access to an entire world of great literature.

• Like 4