The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
spooge

cubensis the cow

i have ordered a calf which I'm going to call cubensis

this calf hasn't even been born yet and is 3 months away

i live in a state that is in the south of the country and cubensis don't grow here at all.

i believe by introducing spores to the cows water we may see some results at certain times off the year when the conditions may be right here.

i thought we might want to chat about it while we await cubensis's arrival in 3 months time once she has been properly weened from her mum etc

am going for a meat cow as i can't be bothered milking a cow 2ce a day

• Like 10

I remember you joking about naming a cow Cubensis a few weeks ago, I didn't think you were serious.

What breed did you go for ?

I hope your fences and creeks etc are sorted.

& I hope those phlebs are in a safe area where the calf can't get to.

• Like 2

:lol: calfs are so cute

make sure you post some photos

• Like 1

I remember you joking about naming a cow Cubensis a few weeks ago, I didn't think you were serious.

What breed did you go for ?

I hope your fences and creeks etc are sorted.

& I hope those phlebs are in a safe area where the calf can't get to.

I don't know what they are called Sally, I know it will be black and white or white and orange, i like the sound of the white and orange one.

Its a meat cow so what ever meat cows are called, i suppose theres a few types though.

They guy she's comn from is 'mad hills' so getting strait answers is difficult, i will ask though so we know.

have asked for a smaller one from the calfs born, $ depends on which one i choose, am going for a pretty one as i don't want an ugly cow.

I re did most of the fencing when i got here thats all sweet, if she starts to wreck them i will electrify the paddock(s) she is in.

the sheep and goat and alpacas havnt got out but i suppose their a lot smaller and lighter.

am also wondering if i may get some mushrooms some up in the alpaca shit as they are ruminators also, one of the alpacas died a few weeks ago, i reckon brown snake.

had a suffolk die within 20 mins last year after being bit by a brown.

Yup she'll be no where near the creeks they are all fenced off as I'm trying to rehabilitate them.

At times i run the wiltipols down one section as theres nothing native there at all just grass, there wiltipols are very low impact for a cloven hoof animal, when all the suffolk and alpacas die off i will be replacing everything (apart from cubensis) with wiltipols as you don't have to get them shawn as the shed themselves, they are also really nice sheepies, they like a good scratch behind the ears and really love sheep nuts.

Herself will be on the other side of the property so le phelbettes will be schweet.

• Like 1

:lol: calfs are so cute

make sure you post some photos

most defiantly, on this thread, her and lots of pics of her poo with fungus hopefully.

I'd say theres a special time in Oct-Dec here where its warm and wet enough for poo loving mushrooms to grow

maybe there should be 2 cows and the other could be called Pan :)

feed will be an issue for the 3 months of dry here during summer, cows eat heaps, i will need to buy in rolls of hay.

Edited by olive
  • Like 1

Where I live Cubes grow wild. When I was young I always dreamed of having a few cows so that I would have my own shroom field.

But now I grow my own Cubes.

IME the Cubes from fields where the cattle were grain fed were more potent that grazed cattle.

Maybe feeding your cow some colonized corn might do the trick also.

Cows, goats, mules and donkeys were always my favorite farm animals.

• Like 1

Just spore prints in the water trough and nothing else?

A super soaker full of spores/blended cubes could be a good backup method.

Edited by BeerAlternative
  • Like 1

Just spore prints in the water trough and nothing else?

A super soaker full of spores/blended cubes could be a good backup method.

I have heard of a few people that without success.

The theory is that the spores germinate and incubate inside the cow's gut since cows don't have stomach acid. That is why you don't find Cubes in the wild on horse manure, yet horse manure works well for cultivating them.

• Like 4

Love Cubensis the cow already! get an outdoor patch going for huge caps, big prints and a bucket loads of spores. Will be very interesting to watch this one,

• Like 1

You could have got a dairy cow/calf, you wouldn't have to milk as it isn't spontaneous. Being a social animal might be best for the cow and for yourself to put another animal in paddock with, then you shouldn't get charged by a ton of steak eager for company :) yes they get very excited when left alone and someone shows up.

Edited by in_spirit
  • Like 3

Good point - they do like some company - doesn't need to be another cow. Have you considered a donkey?

As in_spirit points out, the, milk isn't spontaneous, so it more about potential size and whether or not you will eventually eat them.

You could have got a dairy cow/calf, you wouldn't have to milk as it isn't spontaneous. Being a social animal might be best for the cow and for yourself to put another animal in paddock with, then you shouldn't get charged by a ton of steak eager for company :) yes they get very excited when left alone and someone shows up.

what does that mean man, that they don't need milking if theres nothing to feed?

i had thought cows need milking everyday.

Yes, theres an angora goat thats going to be its friend, their were 2 but we has to put down as it was dying.

Good point - they do like some company - doesn't need to be another cow. Have you considered a donkey?

As in_spirit points out, the, milk isn't spontaneous, so it more about potential size and whether or not you will eventually eat them.

Id love a donkey or a miniature horse.

are we referring to milk as cubes?

I ant gonna eat the filthy things, yuck, i just wanna are if its possible tis all.

Im thinking spores in the water will get into the gut, go through the 4 stomachs and bang-0, shroomette.

Sorry, poorly worded sentence.

Dairy cattle (and dairy goats etc) only produce milk after pregnancy - so you're correct - as long as they don't get knocked up, no need to milk them.

And I know you would never eat anything that grew on cow poop :) - I meant are you ever going to eat the cow? All cattle are technically edible, but I image that some breeds produce better beef than others.

• Like 3

noooooooooo never, i will never eat her.

she will die old on her farm.

bitch isa lawn mower

• Like 2

you could print a wild mushroom onto an apple cut in half then hand feed it to cubensis?

• Like 1

I can see this cow turning into a religious icon

:worship: All hail cubensis :worship:

Well cows are sacred in India...

Edited by Glaukus

Do they really not grow on cow poo in the wild? because I read this all the time but i have got quite a few old memories of it being very different. And I mean smack on the poo not around.

Do they really not grow on cow poo in the wild?

Yes.