The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gtarman

Leafy greens that bugs don't eat...

I thought it would be cool to share experiences with types of leafy greens that bugs don't seem to touch. I'm trying to find more plants that I don't have to constantly defend from caterpillars and grasshoppers etc.

My favourite kale is the black Tuscan variety, but that seems to be the bugs' favourite too. I used to grow Red Russian kale and nothing seemed to touch that. It was pretty tough textured and bitter though so I didn't like it much either.

So far my list of leafy greens that have done well against bugs are:

Red Russian kale

Malabar/Ceylon Spinach - but this is quite mucilaginous which is probably why bugs don't like it

Rocket - just have to find a variety that doesn't go to seed easily in subtropical summers

Nasturtium - although I tend not to use the leaves as much, they're mucilaginous and a little hotter than some people like

I'm about to start experimenting with Ipomea aquatica/water spinach, and Aibika/hibiscus spinach and some others.

Anyone have any additions/suggestions?

• Like 2

Gtarman, try wild rocket Diplotaxis tenuifolia - the seeds are pretty easy to find, or I can send you some if you want. Rarely gets eaten by bugs either, doesn't bolt in hot weather, and can be grown perenially. I like it because the leaves stay tender even when the plant is flowering or underwatered - they don't go stringy & bitter like normal rocket.

If you're interested in ipomoeas - sweet potato leaves are edible too and will grow like a weed to cover ground, fences, walls etc (just like a morning glory vine, complete with pretty flowers). They need some cooking as they're a little sappy raw, but they're an acceptable spinach substitute, like malabar-spinach. Bonus is that you get to dig up a bunch of sweet potatoes when the vine dies back in winter.

Not really a leafy green, but nothing ever touches my tulsi (I think because they have a squad of guardian preying mantises) - so now I grow that instead of basil. It's drier & oilier than sweet basil, so it's perfect for drying & makes a great pesto.

Nothing much seems to touch the sorrel either - I guess because of the oxalic acid content?

• Like 2

Ah yeah wild rocket was the one I meant sorry Anodyne, I just refer to it as rocket usually seeing as I never grow the tame kind. Sweet potato can be good but most varieties need to be cooked, I'm looking more for stuff you can just munch raw. Thanks for the tip on Sorrel though, I've eaten that before but didn't know bugs weren't into it.

Dandelion and gotu kola :wink: Super nutritious too!

• Like 2

Sweet. Just planted a bunch of dandelion seeds yesterday :)

• Like 2

Portulacaria afra

Water cress

Several Piper spp

Warrigal greens

Sauropus androgynus sweet leaf

• Like 2

Warrigal greens do great for me also ipomea aquatica(morning glory/chinese spinich)

• Like 1

nettles are great dried, as pesto, or in soup.

fresh or dried clover

chickweed

viola spp.

toughness of kale can be reduced by bruising it (roll it between your hands or something) before cooking.

• Like 1

Chicories

Mustard greens (tho you'd want to limit its consumption raw)

Spring radish and storage radish greens are rarely bothered for me, but the one variety of storage radish I have doesnt taste all that great raw and eating raw spring radish greens feels like french kissing a cat.

Maca greens but I've never actually eaten the greens myself, either. I just know theyre edible.

Young squash leaves, tho I always cook them.

Rutabaga greens dont get too troubled here, I eat them raw in cooler weather

My turnip greens dont get bothered at all, but they taste like a dead mules arse in the heat of summer

I've yet to see anything eat my lettuces but I dont grow them a whole lot. Some varieties, like Oak Leaf and Jericho, can handle more heat than others.

Its encouraging to see sweet potato listed, I've toyed with the idea of growing it but my little 260 square meter garden never seems big enough for everything, lol

• Like 1

Brahmi - don't see many bugs on my brahmi plants. Edit: pretty small leafy greens though :)

Noticed a definite decrease in bugs all round by only watering in the morning - watering at night = bugs delight!

Edited by IndianDreaming

Sorrel is a good one, here it is a perrenial and self seeds, is kinda drought resistant as well.

Tastes bitter on its own though, in a salad it replaces lettuce just fine and with a bit of dressing the bitterness vanishes.

Bugs will eat it, however it is very prolific and out grows any attempts of bugs eating the plants.

• Like 1