The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ThunderIdeal

exploding head syndrome

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome

anybody care to discuss? i get this sometimes.

drifting off is something i experience vividly sometimes tens of times in a single day. those states are among the most compelling that i experience, up there with typical psychedelic experiences but occurring in different portions of my consciousness, including portions more unknown to my waking self but very much touching the edges of my waking self. i recently realised that as i get older and my conventional sense of meaning becomes more tenuous, i find that the sense of meaning i retain comes in large part from these fleeting half-witnessed, half-grasped ineffable moments.

• Like 2

Is it in stillness?

Also, I think I saw a doco on that once :huh::wink:

And also 'treatments'? It will be nice when the day comes that the West doesn't perceive 'abnormal' states of consciousness as something other than a name to throw some pills at.

Edited by Responsible Choice

in my case it's too infrequent to cause any distress. practically anything can interfere with me before i completely drift off so i'm accustomed to repeated attempts to doze off. it's for this reason that i have intimate knowledge of hypnagogic states and perhaps exploding head is common but rarely interrupts the dozing off process; if it doesn't interrupt the dozing off process then you won't form a memory of it.

so, i'm not interested in treatments, but i intuitively sense that with a systematic approach doctors or even layman could fairly quickly hone in on the cause, and that's what i'm interested to know about! for starters, is it internal, perhaps to do with neurotransmitters or parts of the brain activating/deactivating, or could it be external, for instance a very subtle sense, perhaps of very low frequencies of EM uttered from the earth, or EM interference from human activity or nearby thunderstorms.

• Like 1

If you think it might be linked to certain events, maybe try keeping a journal of when it happens (& I dunno, maybe 'severity' as well, if that's a factor?) - if you have times & dates you might be able to spot a pattern where it's linked to you diet or sleeping patterns or weather or whatever. Do science to it!

• Like 1

Wow, I never knew I had this. I can remember two times when this caused some embarrassment on public transport. Nodding off on a quiet train with a few people around me when I get that reflex and jolt up. People reactions as well as my unwillingness to say anything or apologise leaves an awkward tension lingering in the air haha.

Not to long ago, after a somewhat difficult experience with mushrooms I was left someone paranoid about my mental health. And it was around this time that this syndrome really stood out. As I was wondering if it I had uncovered a latent mental illness and these noises were the beginning. When you're in that frame of mind these noises, which can be really realistic, can cause anxiety. Fortunately I'm fine. But it's nice to put a name to these weird brain spasms. Or whatever they are.

Cheers

funny you mention the shrooms. most of my experiences are comparatively recent but i remember my first experience which had similarities to exploding head, but many years ago. it was the only time i think i ever lost waking consciousness in the middle of an acid trip and woke like my head was ripped through a portal of hissing white noise.

Edited by ThunderIdeal