The Corroboree
spooge

pics of the acacia plants i look after.

Cheers Horus, i can't wait till they grow up nice n big, n yes a huge thanks to Communacacian for germinating and growing n spreading these wonderful trees around!!

The creek has been right off a few times this winter Micromegas.

how the creek looks when its running 'normally'

IMG_3658.jpg   IMG_3659.jpg   IMG_3656.jpg

how the creek looks when we've he'd some good rain for a few days

IMG_0863.jpg   IMG_0860.jpg   IMG_0857.jpg   IMG_0855.jpg   IMG_0851.jpg   IMG_0849.jpg   IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_3658.jpg

IMG_3659.jpg

IMG_3656.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_3658.jpg

IMG_3659.jpg

IMG_3656.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

• Like 3

^^ that's awesome.

surely will test out bank integrity!

and your whitewater rafting skills!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, spooge said:

an update..............

Acacia are wonderful.

Courtii - These have mostly done well, the water rats give them a bit of hassle undermining them etc, the root disturbance doesn't seem to bother them as yet, they will lean a lot though if the rats are mining under them, so i have them staked. The water rats are part of the ecology here, they airate the soil and feed the nanking kestrels and perform functions i wouldn't even know about so i can't poison them however much i may want to sometimes. The courtii leaves discolour in the drier areas in summer and in the wetter areas in winter, couple of losses in the very wet areas, overall they are a wonderful majestic and hardy tree.

IMG_2254.jpg  IMG_2941.jpg  IMG_2978.jpg  IMG_2979.jpg

Longifolia / Obtusafolia hybrids - fastest growing of them all, would make great rehabilitation trees for wet area erosion - fast, hardy and robust. They have done very well in the wetter areas, couple of losses in the really wet areas and some have fallen over in high winds. Many will flower soon. I am a bit concerned they will pollinate they obtusafolia and dilute the line.

IMG_2940.jpg  IMG_2944.jpg  IMG_2946.jpg  IMG_2948.jpg  IMG_2952.jpg

Maidenii - Shoulda got more pics of these, I've grouped these trees on a couple of spots on the slope of a dam, they can handle very wet conditions in heavy clay and are doing well, they do go a nice reddish colour in winter and then return to green over summer. Slow to start but take off when they hit waist height. They tolerate low light and can handle growing in the vicinity of tall gums well.

IMG_2945.jpg

Floribunda - Second in growth rate to the longifolia hybrids though still very fast, have these planted along a boundary fence line in a very dry position in summer, lotsa rain in winter. Second pic is the first planting, now 3 years old from tube stock. They were covered in flowers again. 

IMG_2982.jpg   IMG_2981.jpg

Acuminata - When i first started planting these i concentrated the plantings on a north facing slope thats very dry in summer. This slope is home to a massive colony of water rats so there is lots of soil disturbance going on. Decided to risk a few in some wetter areas and have been surprised that they have lived and have grown well in wetter areas as well. In some of these clay/damp areas they have grown faster than some obtusafolia. be interesting to see if they will live to be 20yrs in these wet areas or if they may not cope with as they get older, especially if we have freak rainfall one winter....... The water rats mining under them on the north facing slope doest seem to bother them, Some are beginning to flower, more should flower soon.

IMG_2947.jpg  IMG_2961.jpg  IMG_2968.jpg  IMG_2967.jpg  IMG_2977.jpg

Obtusafolia - Lovely, kinda fast but slow as well, lost a couple in areas that are too wet, they tolerate the clay and the dry summer better than i thought they would, colour up nicely in winter, the red stems on the fresh growth are beautiful and glow against the green background. A couple of the larger ones flowered last year, lots more have flowers this year. 

IMG_2950.jpg  IMG_2951.jpg

Confusa - Was a bit of a gamble and some fun planting these, i had no idea really when i planted them what i was doing, i just thought i should put them somewhere where they have good drainage and can dry out in winter. North facing slope home to water rats = lotsa soil disturbance. Some have lived and are establishing them selves, I've left the wraps on them so they can warm up a bit in winter and get some moisture in summer. How they will go in the future will be interesting to watch.

IMG_2974.jpg  IMG_2975.jpg

Phlebophyla - The first lot of these we got i was so very careful with, had them in pots for 2 years as i felt i had to get them to a decent size before 'risking' putting them in the ground. We have exposed areas of rocks which would have been nice to plant these trees in on the property but not really in areas that are practical to access, they are also exposed, i wasn't sure if they would need summer watering and if they would handle these exposed areas. Solution was to plant them in the 'garden', close to a tap so they could be watered if needed, was essential to plant them on a slope in my mind so they have very good drainage, the slope they are planted on gets full winter and summer sun for periods of the day but is protected from high winds. The oldest ones will flower for their second time year, no seeds from them as yet. The second batch of tress we got i have risked a little, planted them on the levy of a dam, a protected spot thats very clay, does dry out a lot in summer though, theres retic there, haven't had to use it.  

IMG_2248.jpg  IMG_2249.jpg  IMG_2250.jpg  IMG_2251.jpg  IMG_2939.jpg  IMG_2256.jpg  IMG_2257.jpg  

Its nice to watch them grow and the groupings starting to bush up creating homes and food for lotsa things.

IMG_2255.jpg  IMG_2953.jpg  IMG_2954.jpg  IMG_2955.jpg  IMG_2956.jpg  IMG_2957.jpg  IMG_2960.jpg  IMG_2252.jpg

Starting this years plantings...... Ive found for the conditions here its best to pot up the tube stock when i get them and keep them in the shade house and grow them to waist/chest high for 6+ months and then plant them out in autumn after the first couple rains and keep planting till spring. This way I've been getting about 90% success rate compared to 60% planting strait out into the ground from tube. The tree wraps have helped heaps with warmth and moisture they also protect the base of the trees from rabbits. Im up to my third use on some of them, the wraps last but the stakes do rot off at soil level and need to be replaced after a year or two.

IMG_2958.jpg  IMG_2962.jpg  IMG_2971.jpg  IMG_2963.jpg  IMG_2964.jpg  IMG_2976.jpg

Visited phlebophyla in habitat a couple months ago the trees were coming to flower, bout 6 weeks in front of the ones here, i took only memories and pics. 

IMG_4122.jpg  IMG_4123.jpg  IMG_4126.jpg  IMG_4127.jpg  IMG_4136.jpg  IMG_4137.jpg

Bro, I love your vision. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the longi hybrids diluting the genes, ime, they add a fantastic quality. Trust me!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glaukus said:

Bro, I love your vision....

I totally second this G!!! I love Spoogies gardening shenanigans.....never does anything at less than 110% effort!!!

Wish I had half as much energy as you Spooge mate, and good to see Olive is still pitching in with the work too :)

• Like 1

Thank you Glaukus and Cubism for the nice words.

These trees are exciting to grow.

interesting Glaukus that Longifolia add instead of depleating, in your experience do these two types of acacia grow close together and amongst each other in habitat?

Olive is good at barking and cleaning dishes Cubism, i should make her a harness and little trailer to cart wood around.

Nice to see you back around here spooge and to read your valuable contributions..

Nice one!!

Respect

• Like 2

How's all the trees going spooge ? 

So much inspiration in this thread 

you have done spectacularly well.     I just wanted to add .... courtii ... from seed .... I had planted them directly into the ground (after boiling water treatment and swelling) 
into what was essentially bamboo chip mulch on top of red volcanic soil in northern rivers NSW.     never had a problem with them.   just keep wood ash well away or they'll die. 

whow what a thread (that I hadnt seen in the past) .. as always, amazing ambitious project , well done spooge. 

• Like 1