The Corroboree
ace1928

University Is Driving Me Insane And I See No Other Option

Well I'm off to do a 8 hour environmental survey in 30 degree perfect spring weather. Two little cuties and a really interesting guy makes up the team( the girls are interesting too !). I would rather that than being stuck in a Comms room playing with my cable. I mean the cable.

Is it really that mind numbingly boring ?

Even if it is, it's only a small slice of your adult life.

To have tertiary qualifications in any field opens the door for you in many unrelated areas. A good percentage of jobs advertised these state that tertiary education is required, often they don't even care what field your degree is in as long as you have one.

I'd get the degree and then start looking further afield.

• Like 1

Perhaps lodging complaints will get some updated materials or improve the style of teaching.

lodging complaints seemed like a good idea at the time.

In a fair and just society complaining about a service your paying for should results in an improvement in the service

But this isn't a fair and just society

lodging complaints about the quality of education im receiving has resulted in being targeted and marked harshly

And the marking system is bullsh*t, when i asked why dont i get my final exam paper returned so i can see how i was marked, the response i received was "its just like the HSC, know-one gets to see their exam papers returned, get used to it"

This leaves me thinking if i had to coin to put in the lectures pockets and kissed their ass id get a perfect score in every exam.

How is this exam marking system not open to corruption when know one gets their paper returned ? .... pretty sure its corrupt

• Like 1

lodging complaints seemed like a good idea at the time.

In a fair and just society complaining about a service your paying for should results in an improvement in the service

But this isn't a fair and just society

lodging complaints about the quality of education im receiving has resulted in being targeted and marked harshly

And the marking system is bullsh*t, when i asked why dont i get my final exam paper returned so i can see how i was marked, the response i received was "its just like the HSC, know-one gets to see their exam papers returned, get used to it"

This leaves me thinking if i had to coin to put in the lectures pockets and kissed their ass id get a perfect score in every exam.

How is this exam marking system not open to corruption when know one gets their paper returned ? .... pretty sure its corrupt

Every university has an appeals process for the grades given. Just go to the faculty your school sits within and tell them you want an assessment review. They have no choice but to do it. Don't take your immediate tutors response as gospel if you feel you have been marked incorrectly. This goes for exam papers and assignments. Once you appeal your work will be looked at very closely by multiple markers.

The process a uni has to go through to make changes to a course and how it is delivered is long and tedious. It also has to be done a very long way in advance of the next year being delivered as guidelines and Statements of Assessment Methods have to be set well in advance of people enrolling in the topic. So I think it's unlikely you will see your own ideas being implemented whilst you're a student in the course as even if the academics agree change is required it wouldn't get implemented until well after you had moved on from that year/topic anyway.

This is based on my experience working for a university. Your institution may work a little differently of course.

• Like 1

I have been able to see any of my exams but I had to go see the unit coordinator and I wasn't allowed to take the exam just look at it.

I don't remember posting that but fuck. That is some funny shit.

Not what I thought science was about. It's a real shame.

The circus known as academia is not the endpoint of a lot of sciences :wink:

I'll stick it here as well...my bent..

You need resilience to survive the science game in the real world......I've been at it for over two decades :wink:

Science shouldn't be a game
And im still not getting what you're meaning