The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
incognito

Grevillia and banksia seed prop

Hello, wondering if any members are succesful germinating these babies? I have read conflicting info, in that you can scarify seed for faster and better germ with smoked water or smoked vermiculite. Grevs are pretty hit and miss and can take up to 8 months to germ? I treated my grevs with boiling water overnight and my banksia seed with bong water.. Does this sound okay? What could I be doing better or am i overthinking things and they will do fine just binged straight into the growing medium? Many thanks in advance!

More than a few Banksia spp live with symbiotic fungi so a cup full of soil from around the mother plant will help with germination rates.

The best advice i can offer is to look at what habitat each species you are sowing comes from and try to mimic that.

Thanks :) my first time growing these babies from seed. And yes you are right I should research the individual species. I'm onto it.

I have a book on natives that says that the banksia seed needs to be soaked in water for a week and then dried very quickly either in the sun or over heat before sowing.

I have never tried this method though

Some banksias, including Banksia integrifolia ssp. integrifolia germinate really easily without any special treatment. I salvage seedlings of this species from playgrounds where they germinate atop pine bark that lines the ground.

nice :) ive really only gotten into natives recently, since I planted my block with various acacias, and been looking for drought and frost hardy, bird attracting natives with different colour flowers.

Have sown many varietys of grevillia, kunzia, banksia, euc, proteas (I know not native but dang they cool) and hakeas. im hoping to plant out most, as well as bonsai one of each :)

Any other native plant growers keen to do a swapskie? I'll put up a list of what I have, most have popped their heads up bar the grevillias.