The Corroboree
Darklight

Vale ReshroomEd

Sorry to hear this. I never met or knew him personally, but it sounds like I'm the poorer for it.

Rest in peace

Edited by gtarman
  • Like 1

Ed, may your cactus hit the sky and the sambar hit the ground. You'll be missed like crazy my friend, hope you didn't suffer and are now at peace tough fella.

absolutely gutted.

keep ya chin up DL.

RIP fella.

• Like 2

ah man. Such a generous & excellent fella. i didn't know Ed that well but did the odd trade & chat. a totally great human being he was.

Beautiful words Darklight. I never met Ed but it sounds like he was an amazing bloke.

Terrible news and a wonderful post. I messaged him plenty of times in the past year or two without hearing back and though I was worried about him, this comes as a very bad surprise.

He named the Eileen clone after his mum, and sent that cactus clone round the world. Often twice as much as anyone had paid for, and often for free

This. He messaged me and offered to send it to me for free. But I wasnt able to receive it because of customs and that makes me feel really sad now. Farewell, ED!

• Like 1

Touching words darklight :-(

Sorry to hear Darklight. Sounds like a great bloke. May he rest in peace xxx

Edited by tangled

Sorry to hear this. I never met him in person, but like many here, he sent me some Eileen cuttings which grew fat and juicy.

I'm sure he will be remembered often when people tend to their plants.

Rest in peace Ed.

• Like 1

Oh no :(

Met him in the Otways and sure enough "Eileen" was the beginning of my cactus appreciation!

Safe Travels Ed....

• Like 2

I had the privilege of meeting Ed at a poorly attended camping trip one year.

We were the only two there for most of the weekend, and ended up spending hours chatting.

Other colourful types came and went but we both saw the weekend out and cleared out the next day.

I helped him pack up the camp that he'd generously set up for all and then sped off home, only to have him catch me along the dirt road 20 mins later in his 4wd with headlights flashing and horn tooting, desperately waving to flag me down like some kind of rogue cop -

He'd forgotten to give me the Eileen cuts that he'd brought along to share :)

Had a few msgs and trades with him after that.

He was an interesting and likeable dude.

:worship:

• Like 6

He'd forgotten to give me the Eileen cuts that he'd brought along to share :)

That's so Ed hey :D

It took a long time to find out he was gone because he hated fuss. We had this out years ago a few times, I was seriously cross and accused him of going into a corner to die like a dog and he said he could do what he fucken liked he hated fuss that much and hated people seeing him sick.

Fair enough, losing him was always going to suck anyhow

My mobile was out the entire time around EGA, I got it back on a month later, all messages SMS gone etc. And every time I called his landline I'd leave a message- his voicemail thingy sounded different and he sounded so fucken healthy. Prolly an old message. Or a good day. Hope it was the latter

He was always hopeful, always seeking a cure for the thing that ate him medicine couldn't name. And suddenly it was August and almost a year since we last spoke. Too much space.

The house here is full of presents he'd send randomly. Thoughtful. Weird little things would arrive from Alibaba or Amazon. Those neomagnets. A jewellery box. Some whisky tumblers you make out of ice cubes. CD Data dumps of docs he thought would be useful. Sparkly things for the godkids. We got into this huge present war for a bit, he reckons I started it and he hated to lose. Got quite competitive and heated. I demanded he stop because I would rather him call me than send me stuff. He said " Most days all I can do is press "Send" cos I have all my mates' details saved in the store pages. It's my end of the convo love".

I never did put that beautiful kimono on he sent, because I'd never be able to tie it according to tradition and if he saw a poor effort he would have been most disappointed. He did like the whisky tho, we had a bit of a blue about it too. Very much the traditionalist. All proper construction, loved things made to last, loved the old things. Straight razors, peerless metalwork, proper spelling and grammar flawless between every fucken word, every second one that wasn't fucken

Don't often take off the earrings he sent me. Wasn't that a right barney. We'd have these great two minute arguments of slashing at each other and then resolve it and get over it right away. We always took the other's answer as gospel. If something changed our minds we'd bring it up next chat "Yeah I was thinking about that thing you said last time... "

Fuck we had some great convos tho. I keep trying to put stories together and the bare bones don't do justice to the delight of talking to him, hanging out. You never knew where a simple sentence would take you.

I can still hear his voice inflecting, always on a rise when something struck him " Hey what's this about...I thought... " and off we'd go. One minute you're on the West Coast of Tas hunting with your dog and negotiating fish and chips in some godawful inbred town, next we're 20th century composers and political trends, personal takes on gender politics, phytochemical analysis, gossip, alcohol quality, the care and feeding of lab equipment, how much pig you can fit into the freezer in the back of his landy, which generator is better for camping, the nature of love and loss, bizarre things that happened to us or people we knew

Loved a yarn, did Ed, and he was grouse at it

Drove the troopy like a madman, good at it too. Fucken thing looked like something the four horsemen of the apocalypse would paddock bash on a rooshoot. Tyres and wires everywhere. Half the dash ripped out, mostly by his dog, the rest jury rigged to some no-name tablet he'd modified a map system for which was a vast improvement, he claimed, on the ones out of the box. The voice navigation was Darth Vader. Sliding backwards down some high country hill in the near dark, eyeballs parallel to the valley floor hundreds of feet below, maxed out on painkillers and sick, hands me the beer so he can get both hands on the wheel for a minute " fuck, this isn't dangerous, it was a little bit dangerous when we rolled it a bit further up the hill that time. Come out alright tho, walked out "

Wherever you are mate, may there be whisky, and whiskey, and may it be the finest ever

• Like 10

Ed's generosity and compassion on this forum since joining in 2002 was exemplary and he will be remembered by many for it. The knowledge he shared helped many on this forum and many others - not just plant stuff, but lots of detailed technological projects.

We didn't talk much the last few years [he was a bit upset at how I handled an admin situation], but darklight always kept me up to date and I had hoped to connect with him again, but he ran out of time.

Darklight, I think you need to post a picture of you in that kimono. Ed surely would have wanted it that way :P

photo-493.gif?_r=0

• Like 5

Unfortunately I never met Ed, or even spoke to him for that matter, so I'm not really sure it's my place to comment here.

But he sounds like one of those precious gems of a human that the world is worse off for losing.

I just wanted to share this for people who may be grieving, I think it's quite a beautiful sentiment....

Death is nothing at all.

It does not count.

I have only slipped away into the next room.

Nothing has happened.

Everything remains exactly as it was.

I am I, and you are you, and the old life that we lived so fondly together is untouched, unchanged.

Whatever we were to each other, that we are still.

Call me by the old familiar name.

Speak of me in the easy way which you always used.

Put no difference into your tone.

Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow.

Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes that we enjoyed together.

Play, smile, think of me, pray for me.

Let my name be ever the household word that it always was.

Let it be spoken without an effort, without the ghost of a shadow upon it.

Life means all that it ever meant.

It is the same as it ever was.

There is absolute and unbroken continuity.

What is this death but a negligible accident?

Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?

I am but waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near, just round the corner.

All is well.

Edited by Psyentist
  • Like 3

People leave us and we ponder the ever after but reading Darklight's posts my honest belief is that this lovable, intelligent rogue would be busy setting up his own parameters and control groups to compare in this -his greatest experiment ever.

r.i.p bloke

• Like 1

man sorry to hear it. Ed was always very kind to me. I bet hes up there stirring shit out of cs right now- those two where always razzin each other :) lookin forward to hitting the "sippers" bar in the hopefully distant future.

• Like 1

I think you need to post a picture of you in that kimono. Ed surely would have wanted it that way :P

Nice try. I'd look like a frilly toilet roll doll. With bad hair. Not gunna happen :P

lookin forward to hitting the "sippers" bar in the hopefully distant future.

I can feel the genesis of a very strange religion coming on

Edited by Darklight
  • Like 2

Fuck only just seen this today :( Hope He was aware of how much he was valued by the community, and fucken A was always kind and most generous to me. Great posts DL

• Like 1

So sad, so generous. I am lost for words.

• Like 1

I never knew him, and feel i'm the poorer for it. What a thoughtful (and touching) eulogy Darklight...

Edited by CrayZ

I can't believe I didn't end up going on one of those camping trips he so very kindly offered to help me along with... It sounds like I missed out on having the experience of meeting such a human being :( Darklight you speak so evocatively I feel like I knew him far better than the few PMs we'd had.

• Like 1

omfg, i have been so caught up in study i missed this Completely.

fuck.

Ed was amazing we had some lovely chats via pm, and he gave me some amazing Eillen cuts that i treasure dearly.

I was meant to meet Ed at an EGA one year. but he was very unwell on the day and didnt want to talk, instead had a long chat with his Mum, Eileen, who was traveling with him. We had a beautiful long chat and she was so apologetic on Ed's behalf. i have my own anxiety issues so understood completely.

I had always hoped to finally catch up with him for a long chat and thanks for the stunning cuts he gave me. such a generous person, so Ed out there in the ether, thank you so very much.

Safe journeying

Cheers, Ob.

• Like 2

Well, this is sad news. I only found out about this a few weeks ago when I was trading a few Eileen cuts.

Ed was an awesome guy. One of only few members I've met through this forum and definitely one of the nicest.

Back when I was unemployed and a Bum in Colac I started corresponding with Ed and he offered to take me out and show me around the otways. I was pretty familiar with the otways then but Ed knew them like the back of his hand. I came back from those little outings realising how big that forest is and wondering how one guy could know so much. Heaps of stories. One in particular about one of his dogs tearing up the seats in his 4WD lol.

At the time I was pretty depressed and felt a bit useless so those outing with Ed were an awesome distraction. That's something I appreciated and never expressed to Ed, that I wish I did.

He also gave me a shit load of cactus haha. I tried to get a photo of the Eileen that he gave that has since become a monster but the file's to big.

Really, a genuine loss to the world and this community. R.I.P

• Like 3

On 30/09/2015 at 3:02 PM, etherealdrifter said:

this lovable, intelligent rogue would be busy setting up his own parameters and control groups to compare in this -his greatest experiment ever.

r.i.p bloke

He so would. It'd be logged by some old unit he got off ebay and hacked into workable with fencing wire.

Was gunna say 'baling twine' instead, but Ed would never hack anything with flimsy, and he'd organise proper documentation :D

It was his birthday the other day, I didn't miss it but was too gutted to post

Fuck he woulda loved the last EGA, then we woulda taken the troopy somewhere steep and stupidly unsafe so he could show me a plant and then we'd drink whiskey or whisky

So many lovely new people, so many lovely old people, and still there is an Ed-shaped hole in the universe

May we all be his greatest experiment ever <3

Edited by Darklight
  • Like 2