The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tangled

cacti seedlings turning weird color.

Been growing some psych0 seedlings and going well but recently they have all turned a browny reddish color. Is this a cause for concern?

I had a few do this recently, I have a feeling it was heat related but idk i'm new at this. they bounced back for me after a while. I left them in direct sun for about 1 hour unknowingly and a few went red.

• Like 1

Mine are inside under a window sill. Yeah Im very new to growing my own cactus from seed which is why im worried ive stuffed up somehow. Hopefully you are right though and they will bounce back.

Pics?

Bedo'spines is right - sun will turn trich seedlings red, but move them to a more appropriate position and they will almost certainly recover.

• Like 1

That´s a sign that they are stressed, usually because of excessive heat and/or not enough water. Not life threatening and happens all the time but a good indicator they get too much heat.

• Like 1

OK i will try moving them to a different spot and giving them some water. I haven't been watering them much as I was worried about over watering but perhaps I went too much the other way. Here is a pic color is darker and more browny red in real life some reason the color doesn't show up properly on my camera.

post-16476-0-05107000-1443274331_thumb.j

post-16476-0-05107000-1443274331_thumb.jpg

post-16476-0-05107000-1443274331_thumb.jpg

Red in a yearling or seedlings means its burning. It'll be aight! Just give it a lil more shade to aclimate. I turn whole trays red all the time, just gotta make sure you don't over water or underwater em.

• Like 2

Been growing some psych0 seedlings and going well but recently they have all turned a browny reddish color. Is this a cause for concern?

This usually indicates too much light , ime ....

Suggest partial filtering of the light source . I use the sun , and find fly wire quite good for cacti seedling growth once they're established . maybe a shade cloth when very young and tender . You need to harden them up gradually .

• Like 1

Thank you for all the advice. I will see how they do with a bit less sun.