The Corroboree
Brendo

Please help my TBMC

Hey folks,

I purchased my first tbmc a few months back in the middle of winter. It was potted up and has been sitting on my windowsill where it receives morning sun until around midday. I've only watered it once, a nice soaking at the beginning of this month to wake it up for spring.

A few days ago I noticed it's put out two aerial roots both pointing downward and was wondering what's forcing the plant to do this?

I've never owned a crested plant before so I don't want to make any assumptions as I'll likely end up killing it. I know it's not rootbound, so my best guess is it's searching for water.

Thoughts?

Also how often do you feed your crests?

post-13898-0-70230400-1443058268_thumb.jpost-13898-0-05116100-1443058288_thumb.j

post-13898-0-70230400-1443058268_thumb.jpg

post-13898-0-05116100-1443058288_thumb.jpg

post-13898-0-70230400-1443058268_thumb.jpg

post-13898-0-05116100-1443058288_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brendo

It looks fine to me. The roots can happen sometimes... sometimes for no reason at all! Usually it happens when the plant is a little thirsty though, or when growing up against something.

In your case, the cactus is probably just a eager for a drink! I'd proceed to water it as regular.

Also, don't be too nervous with this plant. I have one, and it doesn't seem to be especially frail. Sure, it probably isn't some invincible beast like some of these clones are... but for a mutant, it's pretty resilient and does fine under typical care.

• Like 2

aerial roots could mean high humidity but they are 100% normal on a whole lotta trichs for various reasons; in ground, in pots, in open air, etc

regarding watering, something to consider is its nearly impossible to kill a cactus plant from insufficient watering, & very highly possible to do so by too much watering.

considering a trich will grow roots in BONE DRY soil looking for water, you may want to rethink your watering regimen.....myself, I like to keep my plants guessing when & where their next drink of water is coming from. Its not uncommon for the soil in the potted ones to go bone dry....even for weeks on end

one school of thought is fat plump (almost to the point of splitting) over watered over fed plants & the other school of thought is more natural like, hard grown plants....

as for feeding, get yourself some time release ferts like osmocote 14-14-14, mix it in the soil & forget about it.....

• Like 6

Could also be because the spot where the roots are growing out of is in the shade...

its the bit growing roots that you will hopefully trade with me for :)

• Like 1

Like others have said, I wouldn't worry about them. I think most of my TBMs have thrown air roots, both crested and not. I think that gravity may be a factor, the only columnars that have thrown air roots for me are ones that are not perfectly vertical in their pots, and have always thrown roots on their downward sides. Same reason why when you root cuttings log style roots only grow out the bottom. I think that since the crests and monsters grow in such unusual configurations you end up with "sides" oriented horizontally which can eventually trigger root growth. None of this is to say that humidity, light or hydration don't play roles in this phenomena.

• Like 1

my question is, when they do this, if you cut below the roots and let dry to replant, would the aerial roots dry out too?

Maybe jam soil under the roots. Let them get to water to establish then cut.

Edited by quarterflesh
  • Like 1

my question is, when they do this, if you cut below the roots and let dry to replant, would the aerial roots dry out too?

I don't think so. On my TBMs that have thrown roots the roots grow a bit and stall, looking dried out on the surface, then continue to grow from the tip some time later. If you are wanting to make a cutting this way because it already has roots I don't think the rood dying while you are drying the cut is going to be an issue.

• Like 1