The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Auxin

Homophobes are psychotic and immature

Its now official, peer reviewed clinical medicine has diagnosed homophobes as being psychotic and immature :lol:

Abstract
Introduction

Homophobic behavior and a negative attitude toward homosexuals are prevalent among the population. Despite this, few researches have investigated the psychologic aspects associated with homophobia, as psychopathologic symptoms, the defensive system, and attachment styles.

Aim

The aim of this study was to investigate the psychologic factors mentioned earlier and their correlation with homophobia.

Methods

Five hundred fifty-one university students recruited, aged 18–30, were asked to complete several psychometric evaluation.

Main Outcome Measures

In particular, Homophobia Scale (HS) was used to assess homophobia levels, the Symptoms Check List Revised (SCL-90-R) for the identification of psychopathologic symptoms, the Defence Style Questionnaire (DSQ-40) for the evaluation of defense mechanisms and the Relationship Questionnaire (RQ) for attachment styles.

Results

After a regression analysis, we found a significant predictive value of psychoticism (β = 0.142; P = 0.04) and of immature defense mechanisms (β = 0.257; P P = 0.02) and depressive symptoms (β = −0.152; P  = 0.04) have an opposite role. Moreover, categorical constructs of the RQ revealed a significant difference between secure and fearful attachments styles in levels of homophobia (secure = 22.09 ± 17.22 vs. fearful = 31.07 ± 25.09; P P 

Conclusions

We demonstrated the involvement of psychoticism and immature defense mechanisms in homophobic attitudes, while a contrasting role is played by neurotic defense mechanisms and depressive symptoms. Moreover, secure attachment is an indicator of low levels of homophobia compared with the subjects demonstrating a fearful style of attachment. Hence, in the assessment of homophobia and in the relevant programs of prevention, it is necessary to consider the psychologic aspects described earlier. Ciocca G, Tuziak B, Limoncin E, Mollaioli D, Capuano N, Martini A, Carosa E, Fisher AD, Maggi M, Niolu C, Siracusano A, Lenzi A, Jannini EA. Psychoticism, immature defense mechanisms and a fearful attachment style are associated with a higher homophobic attitude. J Sex Med 2015;12:1953–1960.

[Link]

I love how the immature correlation managed to score a P 

• Like 6

I could have told everyone that since i was very young. Oh hang on.. I did =)

I personally didn't need a trial to show it.

Nice Post. Thanks.

Really? I thought they where just ignorant and stoopid. Racism and homophobia are just dumb. Full stop end of story.

• Like 1

It also correlates neuroticism and depression with not being homophobic....

• Like 2

I like to have sex with homophobes.. Mmmm homophobes =P

Seriously though, These types confuse me (if i deny most are closet cases). The homophobe is most often observed in it's natural environment, the common corner pub. Wearing worn out clothes, thongs, and often a shirt depicting some brand of alcohol, these folks are are about as far from attractive to a homosexual as can be.

A homosexual (with a few obvious exceptions) is often found to be a well dressed person, work / career oriented (often in retail) and is attracted to the same sort of person.

Why do these "homophobe" types always seem to think homosexuals would even be interested in them? They make no sense to me.

1/ closet homo?

2/ penis envy (never seen a big or even half decent dick on a homophobe)?

3/ clothes / image issues (drink all their money trying to deal with their internalized homosexuality thus cant afford to "look good")?

1,2,3 all the above?

Religious indoctrination is one. Some religious actually oppose homosexuality, oddly enough.

Some ignorant trash want to feel superior to someone, anyone, so they blindly make up prejudice against entire groups so they can pretend theyre better than someone. This is a disturbingly common aspect of human psychology.

Some of those dirty, unkempt, beer befuddled guys you mentioned as being unattractive to homosexuals might just be jealous and resentful because they know they would be turned down.

Sometimes its simply politics. They think theyre supposed to be homophobes so they act that way to fit in. Recent history in my country is pretty funny, really. Gay marriage was illegal virtually everywhere and politicians were homophobic by default. Then something tipped and politicians realized 'what the hell, people dont actually seem to care if gays marry' and legalization swept across the country at record speed. Now only the politicians that get votes because they are bigots (like the tea party) make homophobic comments in public.

I'm not sure on the penis envy one. In my experience, getting my hands on a homophobes penis is quite difficult and I havent managed it enough times for statistical analysis.

• Like 1

"jealous and resentful because they know they would be turned down." yeah, in essence i think thats it =)

"I'm not sure on the penis envy one. In my experience, getting my hands on a homophobes penis is quite difficult and I havent managed it enough times for statistical analysis."

That was very funny =) much enjoyed. A fine sense of humor you have :worship: