The Corroboree
Conv3rgence

waterbed heaters

For geminating cacti seed, I have been running a waterbed heater with great success that has a heat setting control, and no probe. Its way more effective than my seed mats, its much larger, and it was free.

I recently picked up 2 more waterbed heaters but these both have probes. Can I duct tape the probe to the top of the mat? What do you guys do with the probe?

• Like 1

I love waterbed heaters....I only grab the ones with the thermostat control so sorry cant help with the probe question.

Just assuming here but, the probe is to measure temperature. I'm not to sure if the heater has a dial to set temperature but if it does the probe would be to regulate the temperature. in this case. the medium would be where you want the probe to keep it at the set temp. but yea idk how you've got it set up. from what i've herd they like to burst into flames haha so I would definitely want the probe doing its job.

• Like 1

You shouldn't need artificial heat for cacti seeds.... Take away container and a window sill is all you need. For Perth that is.

Edited by mr b.caapi
  • Like 1

You shouldn't need artificial heat for cacti seeds.... Take away container and a window sill is all you need. For Perth that is.

Well, last month, my takeaway container seeds by the window didn't germinate and the ones on the waterbed heater all germinated. Perhaps I'm in the wrong part of Perth?

These do actually have a thermostat control. They just have a probe to measure the target heat to respond to, intended to be a waterbed. I've read of people duct taping the probe to the mat but then experiencing not enough heat generation, because the mat shuts itself off to rapidly.

I'm thinking of putting a piece of fibre cement sheeting over the heater to conduct and spread the heat, and lay the probe on top of that with the containers. This should provide a more even heat distribution as well as a buffer for the probe so it doesnt insta-shut off the mat. Also fibre cement is not flamable.

Edited by Conv3rgence
  • Like 1

Does the probe go into/onto the waterbed bladder? Havent come across that design.

Maybe another small takeaway container with water in it on the mat, with the probe taped to that??

They can get hotspots where the pots/containers are, when I was looking for a more uniform heat across the mat I made a low box to put the mat in and then covered it with a layer of fine dry sand.

Edited by waterboy 2.0

Waterbed thermostat would work best heating water?

Why not make a hot water bath the same way people use an aquarium heater to colonise jars of mycelium.

I. E. 2 x tubs stacked so the bottom holds heated waterand the top one sits in the heated water.

I find the smokey translucent tubs are great for cacti germs. I prefer over takeaway tek anyways

post-13277-0-21884500-1441665929_thumb.j

post-13277-0-21884500-1441665929_thumb.jpg

post-13277-0-21884500-1441665929_thumb.jpg

Edited by doublebenno
  • Like 1

I recently picked up 2 more waterbed heaters but these both have probes. Can I duct tape the probe to the top of the mat? What do you guys do with the probe?

/probe jokes ;)

I duct taped a probe to a thermostat mat years back and it works fine.

As long as you keep a container sitting on the probe filled similarly to the ones you intend to use, it will (reasonably ) accurately measure temps.

If you leave the probe uncovered it will be responding to the ambient room temps, not the container and media temps, the latter will be a little more insulated

Just my experience

• Like 2

I'm finding that the probe heating mat has quite n intense burst based heating, different from my other mat without a probe which is more steady/stable.

This probe based mat gets intensely hot very fast then switches off to being almost cold before resuming the cycle. This is with the probe taped to the fibre cement. It seems to volatile for seedlings, maybe with the probe on top of sowing medium like you suggest will provide better results. I'll drill a container tomorrow and test.