The Corroboree
☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

Acupuncture destroyed what little of my back I had left ,all I hear of is how great it is.. anyone else feel the same?

,Acupuncture destroyed what little of my back I had left ( at the time ) ,all I hear of is how great it is.. anyone else feel the same?

here's the little story ... with all the long weights removed to save on whining and boring yous ;)

:-

GP referral to pain management over back issues ....

(since passenger in 2 car accidents 2008 and 2009- yes stupid enough to trust the same driver twice) ....to: "see if a little bit of acupuncture will fix it for you since the years of physio appear to have degenerated your back to a point that is far worse than initially"....

Pain management referral for weekly acupuncture but incorrectly for cluster headaches when complaint was back pain ... (!)

session 1 (Nurse appeared rather attractive)

- after battling it out what the actual purpose of the session was ...

stuck pins in lumbar region , left me with panic button ... tried to bear it for 4 minutes till I could take no longer...., pressed the fuck outta that little button for 10 mins trying not to move while in agony ... (!) came back , bled out upon removal of pins and couldn't move for ages till dragged self out like lassie with 3 broken fkn legs or something because of the "next patient" (that was missing from the waiting room on the way out)..

session 2 - cancelled since immobilized from session 1...

.... in the meantime I get told by mother (at the time) to give it another chance ...

(prior to the discovery of narcissistic mother disorder)

session 3 (same nurse appeared to be 30 years older than a fortnight prior) and

- sticks 2 out of a planned 4 ( !!!! ) pins in my mid back to shoulder area and whole spine goes into spasm disabling and rendering useless the entire body [for the following 2 weeks] since moving any part of it created unbearable pressure on spine ... and a good 50% further agony/damage by trying to get home in that state .. I mean "surfed sofa" of friend's home ... at the time

flashbacks of her words reverberate through my mind even now : "i recommend you cancel ... I just don't think acupuncture's for you" she says... while I'm desperately trying to cling to the hospital bed for dear life doing anything i can to try to get the muscles to stop tearing themselves apart ...

" you must have moved while the pins were in you" ... pffft! I couldn't stop it spazzing out it was those stupid fucking spikes and their stupid fucking administrators (should've said in retrospect)

what the fuck is all that about? ... I'm used to reading acupuncture works and is highly regarded..!

...that was back in may (i think - so hectic) and I've only just been able to find a few hours a day without pain since..

Is acupuncture snake oil or what?

anybody else had a terrible experience re: apucunture?

Is this normal or did i get a really stupid stabbess to match the equally stupid pain management cow?

thank you for your time and I hope you're having an extremely fantastic day !

bliss wishes and brightest blessings ,

-L'Orse

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

incidentally i was told by my dr that chiropracrtory is not a valid medicine and the only thing that's ever alleviated the issues has been

a form of "self chiro" and a kind of "self acupressure" on anything from oxygen tanks (rolling on them) to kitchen work tops (leaning against them and dragging shoulders/back down the edges) .. to tennis balls..

while tryna save up for the £400 a session chiropractor I recently discovered who said they can do a reallignment of the spine over a few sessions...

I would say by what you have said this was not traditional accupuncture, no TCM involved but western accupuncture by some one who may or may not have done a course in accupoints and proper insertion and points etc. Find a TCM Dr. Or got to china town look in Chinese herb shops?

• Like 1

thank you

, it was uk NHS .. we don't have a china town here but we do have a very strong link with china n my town (mainly student exchange) which has created a crop of nice TCM stores - one of which got really excited when i showed them how cordyceps could be grown at home on my android ..

I'll ask them next opportunity I get and see if they can shed any light on it because they're the friendliest one :)

I couldnt read about your acupuncture, I tried but I felt yucky. I had acupuncture on my back once... Never again. It was terrible. I felt soo much worse after it. Acupressure from the same practitioner was alright.

Had chiro some years later from a family friend, whom I knew I could trust. At the time my back was ridiculously tense . After treatment it felt strange and sore for a few days but improved each time until I could really move again and I could lie down and actually relax. It helped me in a big way . Try and see someone good, you hear some bad stories about chiro too

• Like 1

I would say by what you have said this was not traditional accupuncture, no TCM involved but western accupuncture by some one who may or may not have done a course in accupoints and proper insertion and points etc. Find a TCM Dr. Or got to china town look in Chinese herb shops?

these were pretty much my exact thoughts while reading your post thunderhorse.

ive had TCM acupuncture a couple of times, lower back & lower leg. Was very happy with the results.

My experience of chiro is that it works, but is not a fix, but more an ongoing periodical series of realignments, rejigs & expensive jointcracking.

• Like 1

Spose it depends on the practitioner, like every other sort of treatment. Sorry you seemed to have gotten a useless person first sesh :(

My first accupuncturist was useless, no effect at all, so I didn't try it again for fifteen years

Second accupuncturist was a bloke in the dodgiest looking place, but he was really good. I was scarily functional. Saw him til I moved out of SYD

Third practitioner was pretty meh and kept insisting I felt better when I didn't, fourth was great.The fifth one was the best I ever had

Make sure they sit with you during a sesh and don't walk out- sounds like you have both serious medical condition and reasons to be suspicious. They should be working to fix that too.

Have heard good reports about chiro, and the odd horror story from someone who it happened to. Check round for people you know who recommend a good practitioner. I'm still sceptical but I know people who swear by it

• Like 1

Oh my dear Horsey what has this cretin done to you? Are you feeling okay now?

I've been having acupuncture lately and I've found it to be amazing. Maybe it's just the fact that I got very lucky and the only practitioner I have seen is incredible, and the way she works fits my dispositions perfectly. I wasn't so sure on the idea of getting needled, but the reality of it is not a concern to me at all.

Sounds like what you've been having is some form of torture. Really really poor workmanship. I'd be making a complaint.

• Like 1

My experience of chiro is that it works, but is not a fix, but more an ongoing periodical series of realignments, rejigs & expensive jointcracking.

My general thoughts too. I've tried all sorts of bodywork over the years for an ongoing back problem and think if you can find a good bodyworker thats going to work the whole body then thats the way to go.

My experience of Chiros is they work the spine but don't spend enough time on the muscles so even if you get all yr spine straightened, if the muscles are pulling things back out of alignment then you'll be back in there having another adjustment soon enough. But I guess thats part of their business model, to have recurring clients. But OP, £400(AU$800) per session with anyone is just feckin crazy! Who on earth charges that kind of money for a bodywork session unless it involves a shag?

Anyway, as I said, my thoughts are that it may be worth seeking out a good remedial masseuse or even a rolfer. Someone that can work your whole body, spend a good period of time with you each session and sort out all the muscles that affect your back but also be good enough and well trained enough to know how your long standing issues can be addressed and alleviate your symptoms rather than exacerbate them.

Edited by simhanada
  • Like 1

I had some 'needling' done in my lower back a few times by an osteopath. She explained it was 'medical acupuncture' and not like TCM Traditional Chinese medicine. She thought it was a good idea and it did help in the short term. It kind of freaked me out that the needles were going in all the way and sitting between the wingy bits of my vertebrae. I had the spasms and electric shock feelings too. You probably have a very complex problem after car accidents but i find nothing gives me relief like a hand full of benzos, a chaser of pain meds,a massage ( happy ending optional) a cup of tea and a early night in bed.

• Like 1

Haha . I joke about the happy ending!

I insist on one.

They have a picture of me up at the counter of most places. 'Don't serve this man'

• Like 3

knew a girl who went temporarily blind from acupuncture for a back complaint. no shit she had to take a few weeks off work, and was terrified she wouldn't return to normal.

Doctors and the rest are just like any tradie really, you get your shit ones and your good ones, true fact! sorry to hear about your trouble though

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your input guys ...

I really appreciate that and will mull over and allow it ll to sink in and then see where to go next ...

in fact it's helped me find one or two options already *sends big hugs*

tryna figure whether to go tell my new, new, new GP (that allowed me more than 4 cluster pen injections a month with the biggest apology... on friday, bless him)

or go to a solicitors first (with no warning to the Dr's) ...

and kinda looking forward to next time i'm in town to ask at the TCM store :)

I'm a lot better than i was back then though thank you kindly Bogfrog hun, just trying to come to terms with what's happened piece by piece..

I can at least walk and been building up from slow: sit - stand transitioning.. with a pause before setting off .... building up to country walks with the kids over the last fortnight or so

(we're just on the city/country boundary - closer than ever) to morning and afternoon school run and a couple of meetings in the city.

... I feel well enough to consider moving the odd cactus since the last 2 weeks with an extra pair of hands I managed to locate...

plus i have the cops to take round with me next time i get a van and go round to get them cactulars, kitty fishies, and remainder of the kids stuff (again)... so they can log my old's and her BF's naughty behaviour and apprehend it where necc' ( like with the kitty) which feels really good to the back.

(maybe next weekend fingers x'd)

just another 3 or 4 "increments" worse than prior to the inacupuncture and a whole lot of retrospect and distrust in everything that has suddenly turned nightmarish since she switched and infiltrated my; first "new dr" after my childhood dr retired (the best dr ever), my youngest's mum and many many other fields inc' virtually the whole family and every friend i ever had as a child , thank fk the cops are the only ones who arent stupid enough to buy it.. and consist of mainly blokes that she didnt teach at the all girls school way back...

strangest rabbit hole i ever found this one ... at least it's found now though.....

how to get out is another challenge i guess lol

but back to the acupuncture... I appreciate TCM so much it's almost tempting.. but so far i think I will give stabbies a miss at least for the foreseeable... and see if I can get to the bottom of it and thrash it out either legally or failing that; with a decent GP (high hopes with the new one)

you beauties , thank you for your input! , helps me to not slate acupuncture as a whole ...,

and will be equipped to help anyone else, after your reassurances with similar ones including; that acupuncture can be baddass if done properly, but it's not an art that is respected enough currently in the national health service of the uk

(at least round here)

spoke to a nice lady copper about chiro that said her sessions were even more expensive but she felt like she had got her old back again and thus to her was worth every penny ..

so might just do whatever i can as and when i can afford re chiro and make a new thread about it when the time comes... thanks for the warnings on chiro too Flora and Darklight :)

... and sorry about the graphic description initially Flora but thank you for helping still

and *giggle* to WaterTrade B)

knew a girl who went temporarily blind from acupuncture for a back complaint. no shit she had to take a few weeks off work, and was terrified she wouldn't return to normal.

Doctors and the rest are just like any tradie really, you get your shit ones and your good ones, true fact! sorry to hear about your trouble though

'kinell !

did she return to normal or was her eyesight permanantly diminished in any way?

true true and thanks ND

it was a good couple of weeks of very screwed up vision but it returned to normal, but left her unable to work during that time which was also tough given she was a casual, hence no pay

@ ND ... oooh the bastages , they pull sneaky stuffs like that here , only exception i ever had was in a pharma [which even had it's own med care and place to sue them with after an 84 degree face burn from a baby medicine pumping machine incidentally :innocent_n: ]

glad she can use her eyes still ..

Yeah I agree with what others have said, find a good TCM practitioner. As soon as you said you were receiving treatment from a nurse this rung bells. There are likewise good and bad TCM practitioners it can take a number of tries or a number of sessions to get in sync. I've been overwhelmed by detox symptoms from acupuncture and become very sick make sure you are aware of this and let your acupuncturist know. I received treatment for scarring tissue in my back muscles and recovered from years of pain and inability to use my back in a few months. Good luck!

• Like 1