The Corroboree
Yeti101

Mental Health and Suicide Prevention Resources

Sally we're here for you mate, whenever you're ready. Lots of good people are thinking about you mate. Look after yourself buddy. 

• Like 4

I'd like to add an article that has been helping me through dark times and accepting it's OK to be where I'm at:

"Reconnecting with oneself means to be involved in questioning how life can become worth living. It is about wanting one ’s own life back and allowing recovery, by recognizing personal resources that make this possible. Reconnecting with oneself arises from a mutual relation with important others, who can support a sense of being grounded and belonging within everyday life. This is facilitated when the persons are mutually connected in a shared experience of humanity. Being in recovery is also characterized by a continuous struggle with despair at the edge of life. When the present situation is experienced as unbearable for the person, suicide can appear as a way out. Being in the midst of this struggle for recovery, includes a fear of being left alone, as one not only questions the meaning of life, but also one’s ability to handle life.

Thus, experiences of being connected to oneself and important others, mean a possibility of moving beyond experiences of fear and mistrust, and facing what matters in life. This facilitates for the person to explore alternatives, as to how life can become worth living. Thus, recovery is grounded in acknowledging one’ s own experiences, and striving to understand what these experiences mean. The meaning of recovery is further described by its meaning constituents: being in an expressive space and giving voice to oneself, regaining dignity through nurturing connectedness, and finding a balance in the tension between life and death.

Being in an expressive space and giving voice to oneself

Narrating one ’s experiences when struggling between life and death, means to experience a possibility to give voice to oneself. Being in such an expressive space is crucial for experiences of recovery when the person is at risk of suicide. Accessing one’s own voice can be challenging, as thoughts of suicide can make it difficult to stand up for one-self, and explicitly put words to one’s experiences.

'I usually explain it in terms of pressing my feelings into a box, just like I am pressing things into a box, so some day...then it will pour out. (...)It’s really hard for me to put words to my feelings and express what I am thinking and feeling and what it is that is wrong.'

When one is able to give voice to this ongoing narrative about one’s own life, the hidden can become visible. This involves expressing oneself to professional caregivers that listen and pay attention to the person behind the suicidal behavior, and who also give room for the narrative to evolve. Having space to share one’s life history in such a way, allows for experiences of liberation and reduced suffering.

Regaining dignity through nurturing connectedness

This meaning constituent is about becoming aware of one’s own worth, through engagement with both professional caregivers and supportive relatives. This awareness is intertwined with a sense of being seen and taken into account, which emphasizes connectedness with oneself and important others. Specifically, regaining dignity through nurturing connectedness involves a sense of being reaffirmed as a unique and valuable human being. To be seen and taken into account, also has meaning for one’s possibility to feel secure in moments of loneliness.

Finding a balance in the tension between life and death

Being in a vulnerable situation and struggling with suicidal thoughts, means to experience a tension between life and death. Finding a balance in this tension entails a wish to influence one’s vulnerable situation. This balance is not limited to finding a steady state. Rather it is a way of finding one’s footings in a multi-faceted reality. This involves allowing a vital rhythm in life, and acknowledging one’s varied needs. For example knowing when one needs to rest and to be active; to be in solitude and to be together. To find the space to become grounded in everyday life and to recover oneself, means that meaning and coherence can be re-established. This rhythm contributes to bearing in life..."

"Suicide/attempt can be understood as the result of a complex interaction of three elements of experience: 'lack of trust', 'lack of inherent worth' and 'suicidal exhaustion'. The first two may be seen as conditions from which the third emerges, but so that all the elements are related to each other reciprocally and the exhaustion and the suicidal thoughts, feelings and behaviours it gives rise to feed back into the initial conditions. Trust, understood as an aspect of experience that allows a person to accommodate uncertainty in relationships and in thinking about the future, is lacking in suicidal people, as is a self-determined sense of worth that is independent of external factors. Substituting inherent worth with self-worth gained from extrinsic factors, and trustful experiencing with strategies of self-reliance and withdrawal, a person begins to consume mental resources at a high rate. 'Suicidal exhaustion' is distinguished from other types of chronic mental exhaustion in that it is experienced as non-contingent (arises from living itself) and hopeless in that the exhausted person is unable to envisage a future in which demands on his/her mental resources are fewer, and their replenishment available."

Full text: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com.sci-hub.bz/…/inm.12…/abstract

• Like 2

I wish I'd just die, I have been wishing for it for years now... Just far to piss weak to actually go though with it on my own.

But every time I reach out for help, I just get accused of being a hardcore drug addict who's just trying to scam drugs. I mean, goddamn, I'm a suicidal loser with no hope of anything better in life... Offer me drugs and I won't say no, so what, ya pack of bitches!!!

Fuck all these bitches and there paranoia of being scammed by a non-suicidal drug addict. There so goddamn paranoid that they would rather just shun people off who possibly might go and disconnect the air filter of there car, wind up the windows and run the engine. Rather than dare let someone get a buzz from dropping a few benzodiazepines.

Hopefully, they hook others up with quality care though... But me, I'm on my own.... I excepted that reality ages ago.

ok, so i was in the same boat, but it involved scopolamine (dont go playing with delerients, kids). half your dose over the next 3 weeks by cutting pieces off your pills then half over 1 month, 5 weeks, 6 weeks etc... until you halved at such a slow pace you dont need it anymore.

exercise is important. walk 15 minutes or more atleast everyday no exceptions, its a boost to hormones and happyness. apart from that, just do yourself.... if you want to commit suicide id suggest not doing it -  but like you said, i am also too weak to go through with anything like that, and ive moved on to a point in my life where i would never consider suicide again unless something drastic happened.

Edited by Curb
desensitisation

Can we please NOT encourage people to kill themselves in the "suicide prevention" thread? :rolleyes:

edit: Thanks for changing your post Curb - the rest was good constructive stuff, I'm glad you left all that in. :) I know you weren't literally encouraging anyone, it's just that this might be one of those situations where it could be Really Bad if someone mistook your tone thru the computer screen.

Edited by Anodyne
  • Like 3

if you are reading this , you understand that sab aint just about cool plants and awesome seeds

It's also about cool and awesome people who are here to help others. IV never met such a supporting bunch of people. Much respect guys and ladies.

• Like 1

Only new here but really glad to see this thread, definitely a community I'm grateful to have joined :) props to yeti for posting this!

• Like 2

There’s a really good forum at https://www.suicideforum.com/community/

I got fed up with Facebook etc and went on a “forum frenzy”, and that is probably my favourite (after this one of course!)

What inspired me to post it is I dropped in here and someone had liked my comment in the thread about Andy. As I’ve written there, I didn’t know him or even of him, but suicides always touch me in a way that I don’t quite expect.

So please take a look at that page if you need help. I donated $20 today to support an app they are developing. There are so many people in emotional pain at the moment I think it’s a really great idea (especially since young people go for apps).

:):wub:B)

Edited by GypsyLee
  • Like 3

Hi guys and ladies,

I posted in this page a while back, about I was having a hard time with my mental health. I was given meds from my GP and all that.

I'm now 8 months off the meds and my life is just about back to normal, I still have bad days and all that. I'd like to say a big thank you to the support I got from the people of sab, and if anyone else is having mental health problem then reach out to someone here and talk even if it's via a PM, don't bottle things up, I will try to help anyone who needs it.

Onyeka.

• Like 4

I just saw this. As soon as I saw the headline I suspected suicide, but you have to read between the lines so much it’s just absurd to me.

https://amp.news.com.au/entertainment/music/australian-idol-contestant-kate-cook-dead-at-36/news-story/920ebb83fdb1f77987e59dce11f21241

Instead of watching their video or contacting those lines (or as well as), how about this?

Edited by ZefSide95

WOW, i'm having a bit of a rough trot (apologies for my absence). The black dog demons are really getting the best of me lately. The more i try to keep them at bay the more i self sabotage and let them run riot. The more i research and try and take positive steps, the more the negative traits i posses take over my chosen course. I;m not one to give in but FUCK i can see why some do. Give me some inspiration guys. 

• Like 2

Stay strong @Average Joe!! There are a lot of us in the same boat as you.

Try to get away from rumination by focusing on your present moment, focus on your surroundings & body sensations, take things day-to-day, moment-to-moment.

If you want to try a simple meditation (about 3 mins tho any longer helps) you can try:

- Sit comfortably, on a cushion or chair.

- Close your eyes.

- Feel the sensation of your body sitting on the chair. (1 min)

- Feel the sensation of your arms resting on your sides. (1 min)

- Feel the sensation of your clothes resting on your body. (1 min)

You may not find immediate relief but doing that daily will bring positive results over time. This is the crux of most "mindful" meditation methods (training your mind to be in the present moment rather than ruminating on bad thoughts which is either a harbinger or reinforcement of depression).

The above is a suggestion for mild depression resulting from changes in personal circumstances (i.e. you are generally a person of sound mind and well being). Anyone with clinical depression should definitely seek professional help.

Edited by andros88
  • Like 3

Thank you andros88,

I have battled away for the last 20 years, know the signs, and can usually reign it in to a manageable level (though never relieved). I'm getting tired of the fight, but know that if i cross the dark line it's game over for me. I hate living on this edge but it feels like this is were i'm supposed to be. Every time i gain a bit of ground, career, relationship, family balance stc, it all just blows up in my face. 

I will try your method, see if i can get a moment of peace between my ears.

i have tried meds in the past but i dont find them effective which led me on the path to this community; I find tempoary relief in plant medicines but have got to the point were i think maybe this world just isnt for me. 

• Like 2

@Average Joe As someone with mild depression I don't like being reliant on medication and hence started meditating. I found it to be an effective method because it allowed me to finally control my own mind (and not be a slave to my emotions and whatever random thought happens to pop by).

If you have some moments to spare, I hope you give it a go. There are longer meditation retreats you can join if you think you'll be into it. At the end of the day, lots of people don't want to do it because its hard work. But I would take hard work & a controlled mind any day over the pain of depression.

Edited by andros88
  • Like 2

Average Joe, I know where you are at all too well. Exercise helps a lot. Music too. So does socializing.I know it is probably the last thing you feel like, but give it a go. Talking to people on here is good. Best is getting out and having some face to face. Mate pm me any time you want a chat, would help me too.

Second time I've edited this.. 

It was a question about struggling with a hyper awareness of my moment to moment existence after many prolonged meditation sessions. wanted to rethink my wording.

Edited by Pedro99