The Corroboree
alfamiller

asking farmers if its ok to go for a stroll on there cow paddocks

possibly find a station where bush camping is allowed? station owners usually love having responsible campers who appreciate the environment staying on their property. From personal experience it usually leads to unlimited access to station tracks (4wd)! :wink: and interesting mycological spotting.

^ Nice contribution. Thanks Olive :wink:

• Like 1

Agree with the above, quality informative post one for the archives

• Like 2

From my limited experience of strolling around paddocks on mycology expeditions I've found pissed off cows with a bad attitude to be way more threatening than farmers.

There have been a few times where I've scrambled under fences to escape them...mild mannered my ass.

Love the idea of approaching farmers with gifts like scotch. Really makes sense.

• Like 1

Also may I add while you are looking around focused on the ground do look up and often. Or you may make the same mistake I did 10 years ago and walk in to a territorial angry bulls paddock.

ive recently made friends with a farmer who is happy for us to collect poo from hes feilds :) so far weve been twice and come back with a ute load of poo full of mycilium that ive put into a cut down IBC and its colonizing like crazy!!!!!

also picked a nice bucket full of goldn goodness :)

• Like 4

Bless you Olive you are exactly right.

Property owners have been screwed by Duty-of-Care laws for decades - in my local Brahmans Society chapter the general feel is anyone on your land is up to no good and can successfully sue you if you don't take reasonable action to get them away.

Doesn't mean owner's aren't decent people that would happily let you wander around - it is just peace of mind. We rarely see folk on our properties - and we know everything that goes on.

If you could advertise on the pub's bulletin board you will pay for bags of dry manure to be taken as pocket money for the local kids you will be well rewarded. Take them home and water them up covered in tarpaulins - let them heat up in fermentation - and you will be rewarded with flushes of mushrooms and then excellent fertilizer.

A couple of winter collected bags of turds turns into near half a tonne of the best growing material ever.

I hate the way the paranoia has gone - but it is there, for real.

Any local rural school would be pleased to accommodate supply of manure, but permission to enter the property is just too full on these days and really out of mind set.

Even paid contractors are in/out only. Hope this helps - best way to profit yourself and the kids and the school and the owners.

Regards.

• Like 4

"so if it gets nasty, film it. ;)" this is not legal and may cause more trouble. looking for mushrooms or trouble?

"When I went to QLD on a cube hunting trip, I found I didn't have to trespass or ask at a farm at all, there were heaps growing along a road side cows had walked down. Massive fuckers, so easy to spot from the car. This then led me to a creek that was gov land (signage) n there were more cubes than I knew what to do with, I collected heaps of the big ones for making prints."

i agree, not ever seen any reason to enter a persons land. i only look for em every 10 years or so, if i feel they are needed. think i know this place too :wink: great place for a relaxing BBQ

• Like 2

"so if it gets nasty, film it. ;)" this is not legal and may cause more trouble. looking for mushrooms or trouble?

how exactly is it not legal to film someone threatening you? i get that it may be illegal to film on someone's property without their permission, but if they start violence or are threatening your life you must be entitled to record the evidence.

As for farmers being unhappy with hippies on their land, i didn't think this was texas! i am on my parents' farm right now and i can assure you all the ~50 neighbouring families would not take strong issue with it, they would probably just suspiciously ask what you were up to. I do it all the time when the neighbours stroll around on our land! People around here don't seem too fazed by such things.

Personally i wish it was like sweden where you can go on anyone's property unless you camp within 100m of their house, or if they find you and ask you to leave. it makes much more sense. people should be allowed to walk about the earth, as long as they don't cause any trouble (or make infuriating lawsuits...)

finally incog your dad sounds like a cunt. i am sorry for how your life must be and have been.

Edited by Francois le Danque
  • Like 2

Bringing up an old thread here but what about NSW pine plantation? Can you legally take a stroll through one of these? 

12 hours ago, TheMooseZeus said:

Bringing up an old thread here but what about NSW pine plantation? Can you legally take a stroll through one of these? 

Pine forests are usually state forests/recreation areas and you can walk through them to your heart's content.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Glaukus said:

Pine forests are usually state forests/recreation areas and you can walk through them to your heart's content.

Aw yea, sounds great 

Even if you don't find any mushies it's a great outing. :)

• Like 1

Most farmers hear will happily let you hunt vermin on their land,  20 years ago they would even pay for your ammo.

For me the farmer looks a bit grumpy and glares at cars even near his property, i am fortunate with the bush and my excellent hearing and vision :D i read Spooge found them in public land, i think i know the area, its on my list if i ever get busted from the farmer :)

Some rules for trespassing.  Don't ask ....Steal, unless you know they're cool.

While some may object to this, this is what is generally done until approached by that farmer.

1) Don't get caught. This saves a lot of hassle, so its a good idea to stay out of the line of sight of any buildings.

Under this rule, asking a farmer for permission may not always be wise. The worst that can happen may not be a simple no.

What's worse is that permission may be granted, only for the farmer to next be phoning the cops while you're out picking.

On the other hand, if a farmer does unexpectedly chance upon you, be straight up, ask permission and assess from his behavior whether its reasonably safe to go ahead.

At least a good number of times (although not always) farmers can be surprisingly cool if some respect is shown.

2) Show respect. Close gates. Don't spook and/or disturb the cattle,  a whole herd may end up stampeding across the field causing alarm.

Be discreet. Don''t go plowing across fields with a whole bunch of people. Go alone or with one other person.

Be secretive and limit visual exposure to passing traffic.

3) Happy hunting.  Be wary & take no bull.

Edited by Mycot
Spell corrections. better formatting + small addition
  • Like 1