The Corroboree
eddy eddy edwards

For Sale: Spirulina Platensis live culture. Free express post.

Hello everyone.

I have some nice healthy and dense spirulina culture. The attached photo has just been taken.

$50 for a 50ml flask of culture and enough nutrients to grow 5L of spirulina. Free express post.

I can also email an instruction manual or I can just post the link when I track it down again, this is the easiest I have found to follow with the ingredients and ratios for the nutrients, it is what I have been using and works very well. I can also give the details of where I source the nutrients, all from Australia.

I will post on Monday and Tuesday and for now will only have 10 sets available but will update when more is ready. Prefer PayPal payment sent as friend or family.

Cheers,

eddy.

post-16986-0-25320800-1440717737_thumb.j

post-16986-0-25320800-1440717737_thumb.jpg

post-16986-0-25320800-1440717737_thumb.jpg

Edited by eddy eddy edwards
  • Like 4

Hey Eddy

Im really interested and i have a few questions

Did you source it from the CSIRO ?

How can you guarantee that its Spirulina in that jar and not just a mixture of alge ?

Im over the moon that someone on the forum as finally been able to get a culture, ill be in touch :)

• Like 1

Hiya.

Yes it has been a long time coming for me too.

This is not from the CSIRO, i got it from the US. It started out as a 1ml vial of spirulina, I actually had 2 sent over but one of them was yellow and dead upon arrival but the second has gone strong for me. Was a tense wait seeing if I could actually get it. Then I have spent a couple of months building up my culture and finding a workable medium that was easy to attain in Australia and cost effective which I have, and it is working great.

As for proving it's spirulina, for now I have attached a picture of a pH reading (pH 10). It's not much but all I have at the moment. I was planning on buying a microscope at some point so I guess I will go ahead and see if I can do that today. I would like to see it too and confirmation before I sell it would be best I agree.

I will give an update hopefully later today with a microscope image of some spirally algae.

Cheers.

post-16986-0-33207000-1440800193_thumb.j

post-16986-0-33207000-1440800193_thumb.jpg

post-16986-0-33207000-1440800193_thumb.jpg

Got a microscope.

Focus isn't the best, taken with my phone at eyepiece but can definately see it's spirulina.

Nice long spirals too which is good, and I didn't see any straight filaments which I think is also good.

post-16986-0-80049200-1440814409_thumb.j

post-16986-0-16601700-1440814425_thumb.j

post-16986-0-80049200-1440814409_thumb.jpg

post-16986-0-16601700-1440814425_thumb.jpg

post-16986-0-80049200-1440814409_thumb.jpg

post-16986-0-16601700-1440814425_thumb.jpg

Why not to tassie mate . Its not prohibited , in fact the csiro algal lab is here

...lol...its just a fckn hassle to access.

I cannot id from those images, I have microscopes and cell counting chambers, and a bit of know how.

I've only just got outta surgery from something fckd...lol.. I can so id and a cell purity and density count for nothing mate.

I wont be back home for a few days, if proven I want, if contaminated can isolate and purify.

Welcome. ...WB from tassie on a fckn phone...lol. ..carrying 40 plus inches of scars and guts full of endone. .rofl

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 4

Those images do look ok, resolution is not good enough for me to confirm structures.

WB

Well I guess you guys on here would know what is postable to where.

I will try take some better images tomorrow, when I look in my scope I'm pretty sure I can see some structure.

Just out of curiosity.

What's involved in purifying and isolating a culture in a liquid suspension ?

I'll get to thia sally...lol me not making much sense for a coupla reasons

This took me 15 mins...lol

• Like 3

Eddy I am so keen for a culture mate if your happy to send to tas.

I cant make a move on it however until later in the week. Pretty much bed bound for now, and when I get back can PM ya proper.

Hi eddy,

Fantastic! I'd like this too, please. I'll pm you. Thanks!

Hey Eddy,

I am very keen if still possible.

Here are some more pictures of the culture

Thanks again for joining the corroboree Eddy :)

x800

x800.png

x2000

x2000.png

• Like 2

Thanks Eddy :wink:

new plaything...lol

Edit - your media eddy is that to a specific formulation?

I am looking at knocking up a Zarrouk medium, need to amend me chem stash though to complete.

Can do decent stock solutions that way.

Edited by waterboy 2.0

Hey WB.

The media I use is the one in the PDF manual in the earlier link. It seems to be working good and is very easy to manage.

I've heard that zarrouk is the best though.

• Like 1

I've come across a few mentioned, Zarrouk is a good one, made heaps of it before although

was making sterile near pH neutral cultures. Also have good specs for it in notes.

There would be some strains no doubt that would noticeably respond to different mediums.

Might make fck all difference with this. I know I can production batch it though...lol

That strain show a really strong and uniform coiling response to bright light, which is a good survival mechanism

against light stress. It should take some really bright light when it gets dense.

• Like 1

Yeah I accidently left my early culture on the window sill one day when I went to uni and it ended up being very sunny and hot.

Maybe it is a case of survival of the fittest and the ones that survived ended up making what I have today and what you have. Coil or boil.

• Like 1

So will one of you science legends make enough spirilina to sell me?