The Corroboree
Heretic

Outdoor Cubensis Cultivation

A few weeks! Most dung-loving species I've seen seem to prefer err... mature manure. I find it hard to imagine going from spores in the cow trough to fruits in the fields within a span of weeks. Does this really happen? I have seen some really half-arsed attempts at wild colonisation succeed, though it can take a year or more (ie until the next season), and mostly nothing happens at all. I've also seen some really intensive attempts produce wild fruit within months, but those were cases where the patches were so well cared for you could hardly call them "wild" -they were more like gardens. Anything happening within weeks just seems unlikely - was this in a tropical climate or something?

Maybe the cows would spread the spores by their nose and mouth etc. if they dipped into the trough for a drink they'd be in contact with thousands of spores each time. Multiplied by how ever many cows are using the trough then it would start to add up. The cows constantly graze so they would be spreading them constantly.

I can't see many of the spores making it through the digestive system of a cow and staying alive long enough in the manure to be effective, but using them to spread spores from the other end would get them out there.

I think my re-quote of weeks may have been a bit of an understatement considering germination period & colonization, perhaps the natural digestion aids the germination process. I was thinking a sheet of paper printed until its purple would be sufficient for establishing a field. As said above may have to wait for the wet for the patties to fruit after the dry has aged the manure. Still an interesting no effort way of getting things going, Harvey in WA would be a good start, I'm sure the next generation of mycological spotters would appreciate it!

• Like 1

I think my re-quote of weeks may have been a bit of an understatement considering germination period & colonization, perhaps the natural digestion aids the germination process. I was thinking a sheet of paper printed until its purple would be sufficient for establishing a field. As said above may have to wait for the wet for the patties to fruit after the dry has aged the manure. Still an interesting no effort way of getting things going, Harvey in WA would be a good start, I'm sure the next generation of mycological spotters would appreciate it!

If I were going to do it I would make many litres of liquid culture and then spray the field every couple of weeks with a super soaker. I doubt you will have much luck with a single piece of paper with spores on it. If it is a well manured field you might have better luck burying some colonised cakes or bags. It's very unrealistic to expect to just take some spores and germinate a field

• Like 2

How does thousands of billions of spores in a trough become an unrealistic way of germination? Natural paddocks don't have culture sprayed around, cows ingest spores dropped by the previous crops. Not being antsy just believe the idea has potential. :innocent_n:

• Like 1

How does thousands of billions of spores in a trough become an unrealistic way of germination? Natural paddocks don't have culture sprayed around, cows ingest spores dropped by the previous crops. Not being antsy just believe the idea has potential. :innocent_n:

You're right... sorry I forgot you mentioned about the trough thing... that could be cool...