Does anyone in W.A. pick seasonal patches or just burn areas

gallery_7473_899_28953.jpg

gallery_7473_899_242997.jpg

gallery_7473_899_183926.jpg

gallery_7473_899_403028.jpg

gallery_7473_899_27396.jpg

gallery_7473_899_306246.jpg

• Like 13

Awesome pics! I've only ever found a single morel here last year. Wish there were more.

Theres loads of em around here at the moment

Some more pics from today

gallery_7473_899_503258.jpg

gallery_7473_899_319949.jpg

gallery_7473_899_317566.jpg

gallery_7473_899_548482.jpg

gallery_7473_899_240736.jpg

• Like 6

sick finds man , is this in areas burnt this year?

any chance of finding morrels around the gold coast? i often see similar fruit growing from mulch but there the poo smell variety

sick finds man , is this in areas burnt this year?

Yeh man we had a pretty horrible huge ass fire down my way last year burnt a whole lot of bush

so there's plenty of areas to check out

I didn't see any on recent SW excursions, saw most in the city on heavily mulched beds,

I'd like to find some of the ones in the city in mulched garden beds for some experiments
havent managed to spot any when I been up there though

any chance of finding morrels around the gold coast? i often see similar fruit growing from mulch but there the poo smell variety

Those are probably stinkhorns, which are unfortunately totally unrelated to morels despite a few which can look similar. I don't think any of them are actually poisonous, and there are a few species which are apparently eaten (or at least some pieces of the fungus are eaten - not the stinky bit obviously!), but generally they're not considered particularly edible.

lol ... stinkhorn is a very fitting name.....

such a shame as morels are so so tasty. ill do some reserch about growing them at home, would make a lovely treat.

thanks Anodyne for the info and the link, ima get studying :)

• Like 1

Are these down south of WA? would love to go picking these but am not sure if there would be any around perth sort of area...

such a shame as morels are so so tasty. ill do some reserch about growing them at home, would make a lovely treat.

If you can come up with a reliable way to produce morels at home you could stand to make a fortune. Morels are notriously difficult to grow with standard techniques used for most other edible mushrooms.

• Like 1

i find them on freshly laid "beauty bark" and have successfully transplanted them to a patch in the garden

before... [once]

but they are the fastest colonising mycelium known [to the best of my learnings]

and they'll also bugger off as fast as they arrived unless you keep replenishing them ...

other than that [and burn sites], orchards are supposed to be great for morels ... esp olde ones..

got any established apple trees and beauty bark ?

best info on growing them I've ever found is from Paul stamets books ...

might be able to buy a live culture from him?

good luck either way!

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

I obviouslt had a biy much the other night and didn't register what the title said at all :P but anyone know of any up closer to perth?

Ive been trying to sell native morels from north east vic to a number of chefs in Melbourne and most of them tell me they are too tasteless. Wonder if WA bad boys are better value flavour wise?

I've been searching for 5 years now with the morel as my target species. I hag the found a single specimen. A friend did two years ago but only a scant few. I wish I had enough time to go search the burn areas.

Edited by naja naja
  • Like 1

I've found a heap up in the Perth hills jwerta. Usually under grass trees. Also found some in a verge, in the suburbs. A truck rolled there the year before and spilt limestone in it which morels love!

Just putting it out there, I would pay reasonable $$ for a pure Morel culture. If anyone has the resources and expertise, please get in touch.