The Corroboree
BedOSpines

Hi guys, new hereTrichocereus question

Hi from NSW somwhere.

Today marks my first ever cactus seed germination, I've been lurking here for a while soking up information and didn't find anything about this.

This is my 6 hour old Trichocereus Cuzcoensis sprout, I thought it was a funny looking pic but I'd really like to know if the white hairs are roots or something els? It's the biggest sprout at this point and the others don't have this yet.

post-16958-0-11271700-1439989493_thumb.j

Thanks guys.

post-16958-0-11271700-1439989493_thumb.jpg

post-16958-0-11271700-1439989493_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I'm guessing roots /fuzzy pic/ .. tricho sproutlings do this .. :):)

Edited by mysubtleascention

If the substrate mix is not too tight..probably yes..

My mixes are tight though and I use thin skrew-driver as a shovel to bury them somewhat and a spray bottle to settle the soil wet.. 7-10 days after they hatch.. :):)

• Like 1

Welcome! To my eye that seedling looks variegated... could just be the photo but is it a yellow/white where as other seedlings are green?

Thanks guys. Thismorning they are looking a little greener, got some leds in the mail that I plan on making into a good little light for em, the cfl I have I think is less than ideal not knowing the spectrem it throws.

The soil is river sand from the river, out of the few places I looked it was the most coarse some rocks up to 3mm I would think, but still some really small stuff that might be worth screening out? so hopefully it's ok, it also tends to develop cracks on the surface so this could mean it tightens up to much?

I must channel them good vibes :)

Hi and welcome!

Your seedling looks very normal, those fluffy roots are the first stage, it is probably worth gently standing the seedling upright and sprinkling a little more substrate around it to help it on its way.

Not that likely to be variegated Mystical Oyster, they all come out a little pale when theyre born, should green up in coming days and weeks.

• Like 2