The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Evil Genius

Anyone growing Trichocereus Peruvianus from Rio Lurin/Lurin Valle?

Hi Guys, looking for pics of Trichocereus Peruvianus from the Rio Lurin/Lurin Valle in Lima. This type has been distributed in the past couple of years. I have seeds and I´d really like to know how they will look like, so I urgently need pics if you happen to grow this type. It was sold from Sacred Succulents and also some other distributers. I saw some seedlings that looked Cuzcoensis while some others looked like Peruvianus and I´d really like to know more about them.

So yeah, if anybody should grow some, please post them here. I know there are a couple of pics on the internet but I am particularly interested to see how the plants that were grown from Sacred Succulents seeds look like. There are a couple of different plants with the label Rio Lurin or Lurin Valle around.

Edited by Evil Genius

Here are some pics from the internet:

There is a KK2147 from Knize on the website of some seed shop and it definitely looks like a Cuzcoensis. You can find it if you google KK2147 and Rio Lurin.

And this one is from the same area. KK242a. But it looks a lot less like a Cuzcoensis. So I am sure you see my dilemma. :)

Trichocereus-Cuzcoensis-KK242-Rio-Lurin_

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 1

Just off hand, does anybody know if the seeds supplied by SS are seeds they grew out themselves or are they seeds from fruits they collected while traveling to south america?

If the seeds are from fruits they collected, who's to say what trich species the flowers were pollinated with.....??

• Like 2

Hi Zelly! Their seed from Peru is usually labeled like this: BK08.276.1 Their crosses usually don´t have those labels. Didn´t come across some crosses with their Peru plants so far, so I assume they haven´t reached flowering age yet.

I'd probably just consider it one of many T. pachanoi types that exist in the same region as so many others and wouldn't think that it is somehow distinct. Who knows if it even represents a particularly prominent form, hell, do we even know where specifically on the Rio Lurin it comes from or whether or not it's just somebodies cultivated plant grown besides their home? Wiki states that "The Lurín River is a 108.57 kilometres (67.46 mi) long watercourse located in the Lima Region"... and "crosses the provinces Huarochiri and Lima in the Lima region before emptying into the Pacific Ocean" Seems like it would be best to say it's just a clone of unknown provenance. That it, the photo above of Trout's, came from Knize doesn't help matters, in that case it could have come from anywhere. Not to say one shouldn't find the plant pretty and therefore desirable of course, or that it wouldn't be a nice "tag" addition to the good ol' collection.

~Michael~

• Like 1

HBaYz8g.jpg

I'm not sure of this is a rio lurin Peruvianus or not but the person I got it from started it as a cutting 15 years ago and the base has white spines.

1hFaFww.jpg

• Like 5

That first shot is just the sort of plant I love. Truly beautiful.

~Michael~

Thanks Guys!

MrDoRight, amazing plant. Thanks for posting. So was the plant labeled "Rio Lurin" or did you just post it because of the white spines at the botton? White spines is very common, especially on types close to Cuzcoensis. So it wouldn´t be possible to ID one just because of the white spines. If the seeds I have would turn into the same type as the one on your pics, I´d be extremely happy. I am currently growing them but they are still too small. Very strong seedlings though.

Hi Jefferson, thanks for posting these. I know some of them, and the first worldwideseed pic is probably mislabeled. I´ve seen this very same pic being used by them for at least three different KK types on ebay and it shows Trichocereus tarmaensis. It´s none of my business how they label their stuff. Doesnt matter if they made a mistake or if it happened because of Knize. But I know it´s sth else.

About the others, I know that there are cuzcoensis types in the lurin valley as it is large and there were numerous collections, some with cuzcos and some others with non-cuzcos. That´s the problem and so far, the pics from Kykeons blog are the ones that definitely show a cuzcoensis from Rio Lurin, which is why I cant wait to see first pics from some of the seedlings in my grafting competition.

Those pics (allegedly) show the plants that I got my seeds from. If the Lurin seeds will grow into cuzcos, they probably weren´t from the types you can see here. But I think it´s possible there are cuzcos at that very same site and I currently do not know what mine will grow into.

Trichocereus-peruvianus-Lurin-Valle-1-10

I personally think it´s very possible that my seeds will turn out to be a cuzcoensis type as well, but there are as many non-cuzcoensis plants from Lurin than there are cuzcos and that´s the problem I have. Knize offered seeds from Rio Lurin from at least three different sites and under three different KK numbers as well. So yeah, it´s total chaos.

But thanks a lot for posting them. There are two new ones from Kykeons blog that I didnt see before. Thats a start.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 3