The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zen Peddler

i have a sudden urge to move to FNQ

no cold weather mushrooms

• Like 1

I had a moment of this yesterday too..

A friend of mine was talking about the Daintree and Cape Tribulation. Well, dunno if its exactly FNQ. Pretty close though.

He said the main issues in living there were the humidity, immense heat in summer, and the possibility of certain people going a little mad living in the jungle, and never wanting to leave.

• Like 3

i like the juxtaposition of things that would be enjoyable if not for the other things.

i'd urge you not to underestimate those other things either. the mosquitos, the heat, the local bipeds, the threat of death by amphibious reptiles.

would you mind telling us your reasons to go?

Edited by ThunderIdeal
  • Like 1

do mushrooms grow in far noth queerslag anyway?

i'd go how expensive could it be(without googling prices) anyway?

The top end has always been a tropicakl jungle for us anyway?

So anyway, i'd get there for a while just to be able to grow herby tropicals(for a change aye

:wink:)

Still remember not even being able to get into the Cowbay hotel because of all the stubbies flyn threw the air

good times

FNQ anyway.......

I came to FNQ for a holiday 5 years ago....am still here now :wink:

• Like 3

i like the juxtaposition of things that would be enjoyable if not for the other things.

Yeah, it mostly sums up how I feel about it.

Crocs, dengue and other such nasties can be avoided pretty easily. Unemployment and dodgy locals, not so much.

It can be a great place to be if you have the money or the means, but it can be pretty harsh too, like in the remote northern areas, and especially during the warmer months. :unsure:

do mushrooms grow in far noth queerslag anyway?

They certainly do

i reckon the place rocks too. Id like to live there, not much employment unless you like mine powered rape

Thanks for the replies everyone.

My thought processes for considering this change are as follows:

1. I have no doubt now that a warmer climate - tropical or dry hot - considerably improves a shity health condition I have that while not being major can make like a real drag especially in the cold months. Also because its autoimmune the extra vitamin D would make it far less likely that my kids might develop it if they carry the gene.

2. We live in the hills and its very dark and wet here in winter. I wouldnt say its depressing as such but during the winter Melb in general can be a hard place to motivate oneself in the morning and I love outdoor activities but im fucking sick of being cold all the time when i go out to do anything. It makes me feel like shit for some reason.

3. I want to get away from the city office job trap semi-death thing. Ive been working a well paid job for a long time and although I am good at it, it just feels like im killing time until retirement or something. it pays very well but with 40 hours a week plus a 40 minute commute there and back it feels like a lot of my life is travelling, working, travelling, eating, sleeping and then im back. Problem is that I have no idea how people survive on less than fulltime hours - even with reasonable pay and frugallity we struggle to survive here on a single income. Bills just get higher and higher.

4. I hope that if I worked in Cairns or Townsville or somehwere similar I would have less of a commute, more time / weather in the day to be active antrd just a slower pace of life. Here in melbourne i just feel like we are always at 100 miles an hour to try and catch up on life inbetween just commuting and working.

Maybe i just need a break from working or something. I dunno... Im not depressed - far from it. I feel like after a recent holiday in FNQ my batteries have been recharged and i wasnt even that aware they needed it.

Edited by Zen Peddler
  • Like 1

And as for mushrooms - cultivation wise the three best candidates I have taste wise are SRAs, Lepista sublilacina and Piopinno which all actually struggle with the cold down in Melb. Cold weather mushrooms are generally slow growing.

Also garden wise because of the cold here it can take a carrot 12 months to mature!

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Maybe i just need a break from working or something. I dunno... Im not depressed - far from it. I feel like after a recent holiday in FNQ my batteries have been recharged and i wasnt even that aware they needed it.

Having also spent a while in FNQ recently to escape the rat race in the Canberra winter, I can sympathise completely! Sick of being freezing...

If you're thinking of a move to a smaller town to keep commute times down, how about places like Wollongong or Newcastle up the NSW coast? Not very cold, and might be easier to find work than further up in Cairns or Townsville.

• Like 2

I would let someone solder my left nut to a barb wire fence to settle in FNQ...Go for it fella..

• Like 3

3. I want to get away from the city office job trap semi-death thing. Ive been working a well paid job for a long time and although I am good at it, it just feels like im killing time until retirement or something. it pays very well but with 40 hours a week plus a 40 minute commute there and back it feels like a lot of my life is travelling, working, travelling, eating, sleeping and then im back. Problem is that I have no idea how people survive on less than fulltime hours - even with reasonable pay and frugallity we struggle to survive here on a single income. Bills just get higher and higher.

Once you get away from the major centres on the east coast, the cost of living comes down a fair bit, so it's easier to get by with less. You can do it even in Sydney, as long as you don't like eating out at restaurants, buying coffee, going to the pub, paying your bills on time...all that stuff's overrated anyway!

I hear you Zen Peddler, my family's been on a single income for a while, and sometimes it's a real struggle. I can't see us staying in Sydney too many more years, the cost of living is out of control.

Edited by Glaukus
  • Like 1

Ive been up here forever and love it! Been a hermit for years and am considering moving down south mostly for human interaction and a change of scenery..

Would definitely recommend living up here, not so much townsville, but cairns and surrounds is great. The tableland region is beautiful and quiet..

Not much employment around is the downside but housing gets pretty cheap in rural areas

• Like 1

hey zen peddler

i have been up in the tropics of far north Queensland for the last couple months.

As this has been the only place i have travelled in Oz i can't compare it to anywhere else.

but I have been wearing a tee shirt and shorts the whole time, there is an amazing amount of wildlife, friendly freaks, invasive turbina & argyreia to harvest seeds from.

oh and i noticed you mentioned an autoimmune disease maybe being a reason to move.. I have psoriasis of the skin & psoriatic arthritis.. to the point that in Aotearoa winters I can barely move in the morning and am a sore grump till the evenings.

since being here mornings have been much easier, no cold to make my joints ache to the point where amputation seems better.

plus the sun is good for the skin, and the warmth makes the sea so much more inviting. just watch out for crocs :)

work hasn't really been abundant, unless you are into seasonal stuff like bananas?

peace

• Like 4

The further north the better it gets, I live in the most northern house on the Australian mainland and it's great. Yeah sure everything bites, stings or has teeth here but the winter min is about 18C and that mostly cold enough for me. There are some really cool mushrooms that can be cultivated where it's hot, Volvariella, Calocybe and some oysters to name a few, and many more that are under explored.

Dunno what industry you're in but I have to try hard to not get work, though I'm not fussy with what my work is and I don't have a family to support.

• Like 3

they have spiders that eat snakes in qld

fuck that shit

• Like 3