The Corroboree

Why are we here?

• Like 1

phluxx me...

?

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 1

This is pretty-much a meaning of life question right?

I've found that the pursuit of happiness is indeed a noble cause in life. And prolly the best way to find happiness is by bringing happiness to others. That free-hugs guy was definitely onto something profound :)

When I'm feeling lost or just need a 'shot in the arm' so to speak, I find the book of Ecclesiastes to be a real comfort. Thought to be written by the wise man King Solomon, it brings a real sense of balance and reality to the rest of the Bible, -a book for troubled minds.

He basically says live a simple life and be happy with just being happy. Steer clear of trouble and don't get too carried away with trying to "keep up with the Jones's"

He even goes so far as to say be wise but don't be too wise, be holy but don't be too holy... Surprising to read that sort of sage advice in the Bible.

Anyway, I base everything on my own personal experience these days, You only get one life and you can't trust no one!

Edit...

Just found this on Wikipedia, commenting on the book of Ecclesiastes.

"one should enjoy the simple pleasures of daily life, such as eating, drinking, and taking enjoyment in one's work, which are gifts from the hand of God. The book concludes with the injunction: "Fear God, and keep his commandments; for that is the whole duty of everyone" (12:13).

Ecclesiastes has had a deep influence on Western literature: American novelist Thomas Wolfe wrote: "[O]f all I have ever seen or learned, that book seems to me the noblest, the wisest, and the most powerful expression of man's life upon this earth — and also the highest flower of poetry, eloquence, and truth. I am not given to dogmatic judgments in the matter of literary creation, but if I had to make one I could say that Ecclesiastes is the greatest single piece of writing I have ever known, and the wisdom expressed in it the most lasting and profound."[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecclesiastes

Nice to know I'm not theonly one who it struck a chord with :)

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 1

Maybe we are here to think of a reason why we are here? Could our existence be a paradox? :)

Edited by dajindo
  • Like 1

R you feeling OK Bog? Ups and downs are part of life remember.

You've brought much happiness to your fellow SABsters.

Love, sunshine and happiness my friend :P

Edited by Halcyon Daze

There is no answer.

Reminded me of this one time I heard a Carbon Based Lifeforms tune while tripped out,

The sample said: "There are no answers. Only choices."

It felt like an "answer" to my search for answers. Powerful words.

• Like 1

maybe you're a keen empath

or maybe boggy is just asking the big questions to see what comes out

• Like 2

why would complex life even evolve at all?

is it "just the way it is"? like a goldilocks theory, but again i don't think we have enough information to make any firm declarations reguarding that

perhaps we as a species are just too young to understand that, after all in tej context of the age of the universe we're just newborns.

i imagine somewhere in the depths of the universe there's a species that's worked "it" all out, but like niell de grasse tyson states:

af8c4e5e719f27164230bb559bb8e522.jpg

To ensure the universe remains random and chaotic neutral.

dnno bout you guys but I'm here to assist the plants and fungi in their agenda and a few animals too..

and to enjoy it and take it all in; learning as much as possible as fast as possible [cept for off days lol]

and to "find the others" :innocent_n:

• Like 3

She didn't come accross like there was anything wrong to me Halcyon, I just thought she was asking some probing questions.

Personally I think it's good to see the discussion back up here and out the Bitches & Gripes section.

Edited by Sally

She didn't come accross like there was anything wrong to me Halcyon, I just thought she was asking some probing questions.

Personally I think it's good to see the discussion back up here and out the Bitches & Gripes section.

Didn't think it at first but then, well, I just had a friend go through a major existential crisis, wasn't nice at all.

Maybe I just need to lay off the OTC's :P

• Like 1

We're here to be human!

Some of us spend so much effort in trying to escape being human, being better than human, rather than just enjoying being human, with all its flaws, pleasures...

In the words of Ram Dass: "Incarnation is not an error, you are exactly where you are supposed to be".

Edited by Glaukus
  • Like 3

No existential crisis here mate... Well, nothing out of the ordinary anyway. I just reckon nows a good a time as any for pondering things that we know we can never really answer for certain, but we may find clues along the way which help give our lives meaning.

And people seem to have their thinking caps on, which is better than playing Internet tyrant so I like to encourage more thinking with more q's. big Q's.

• Like 3

We're here to be human!

Some of us spend so much effort in trying to escape being human, being better than human, rather than just enjoying being human, with all its flaws, pleasures...

In the words of Ram Dass: "Incarnation is not an error, you are exactly where you are supposed to be".

As you said Glaukus. I agree that on a spiritual level we are here to learn from the human.

On an ecological level i think we are meant to be keepers of the balance around us, individually & as a species which we are currently failing at miserably.

• Like 1

Halycon, yeah I do get pretty pronounced ups and downs, which is as you say, a part of life. I guess that's what makes it interesting.

When I was a child, I really did not want to be here, and for a long time I thought there was no point in being here at all.

Now that I have had some more time to experience the good things in life, and had enough understanding of the not so good things that I developed the will to create changes, at the very least in my own life, and through the way my behaviour affects the lives of the people close to me, I am happy to be here.

I propose this as a question to you all because it is of interest to me as a question, and your responses are of interest to me as a..I suppose, as an athropology enthusiast. Human culture is interesting because we are all a part of it, we create it through our thoughts and our actions. We may be individuals, and our influence may be very small, but we are still a part of the whole, so what we think does matter.

I think there are some universalities in the cause for our existence as a race, and there are also individual "quests" which we each uncover in the course of our life time.

This is my personal view at this point in time:

I see two opposing paradigms which have existed in my mind, and I sometimes fall into stream A. when things get rough, but in general I lean towards stream B.

A. the nihilistic view, that there is little to no meaning for our existence, that this is a pointless exersize in differentiated conciousness, and there's no challenges to overcome, no responsibility for living in a healthy, fulfilling way, and nothing to look forward to.

Then there is B.

B. is the stream I commit myself to. That we are here to uncover the fullness of the human experience. That every experience we have enables us to develop as individuals, who exist in a collective network, which is always exchanging information.

I have come to develop the point of view that humans are fundamentally divine beings. This divinity is not expressed in most cases, and is only fully expressed by a very very very small number of people. But the core potential, I believe, is the same.

Someone once gave me the metaphor of carving, or sculpting. We all begin with a block of stone, and gradually throughout our lives little fragments of this stone are shaved off. Some people work steadfastly at carving their stone, every day chipping away at the things that sheild them from knowing who they truly are. Others might not carve much off their block at all, they might carry the fears and sorrows and expectations of others with them through their entire lives, never uncovering their potential to be any different than they are. Some might live like this for a long time, and then an intensive experience may shake them up enough that they begin peeling off the layers that had them blinded. I think the progress does not need to follow a consistent, linear progression. I think a lot can be shaved off in a very short period of time, and maybe the reverse situation can occur, maybe someone can carve themselves into an exquisite sculpture, and then without truly realising what they are doing, rapidly begin layering concrete over themselves.

..tbc.. Just had a guest arrive..

• Like 4

Im not sure we are here for a reason. Besides the whole stalk in the night dropping me off to my doting parents and leaving this place in a better state than when i arrived.

But from the look of everyone elses answers, i might have a narrow veiw of life

if humans, and life, are "just" chemical reactions, then why did something as complex as the human mind evolve at all? why didn't the chemistry just remain at the primordial soup, i mean one chemical reaction is as good as another right?

so i lean toward the human mind being a by product of needing to deal with complexity in our environment, and our mind does help us pass on our genetic code (we've colonised just about every corner of the earth). and our intelligence and ability to manipulate the environment to suit our needs means we're going to colonise space soon, further expanding our ability pass on our genetic code. but why the need to pass on any genetic code in the first place? i know it's a biological imperative but "just chemical reactions" but life seems to have a peculiar hang up about sustaining itself, quite abnormal for a simple chemical reaction

• Like 1

it wouldn't be here anymore if it wasn't good at perpetuating itself.

i like to think of two opposites reaching towards one another, like a stalactite and stalagmite each growing towards each other from distinct, significant origins meeting in the middle only in the smallest way. there are two such sets of opposites:

1. future and past. i will leave to your imagination how the unfolding of time could be a dance between beginning and end, explaining how we could live in a "goldilocks universe" without the need for infinite or near infinite non-goldilocks universes.

2. matter and spirit... oceans of life and physical phenomenon striving towards forms more suitable for receiving non-physical direction by some guiding universal essence or suchwhat

We're here to do stuff.

image.png?w=400&c=1

Edited by BeerAlternative
  • Like 1

no idea. to much to deal with.

but I bet no matter what tripped out notion comes about what is ACTUALLY going on with life, the universe, any purpose, whats REALLY going on is even more tripped out than that.

does ones head in.

• Like 1

to fuck, to evolve, to exterminate ourselves and then start again

were not the first, we won't be the last

• Like 1