The Corroboree
franky

Help - Moving seed grown cacti from unnder lights to outside.

Hey All,

I've had quite a bit on the go during winter, seedlings and grafts under CFL's inside, they have been alive ~4 months growing well. I want to start getting ready to move them outside for spring time.

I am wondering how you guys go about it, I want to get them into my greenhouses, which are covered by greenhouse plastic and 30% shadecloth year round.

I also want to try and do it with as little touching to the plants as possible as well, ie id only like to move them around once or twice is that possible?

I was thinking once the days warm up a bit mroe here I'll move under 2 x 30% shadecloth and eventually start removing shadecloth one at a time.

Anyway what do you guys do? would lvoe to hear.

Cheers.

bonus here is a pic of one of the grafts i'm talking about a variagated astro, that might be starting to crest out? we will have to wait and see!!!

post-11920-0-32242600-1437532778_thumb.j

post-11920-0-32242600-1437532778_thumb.jpg

post-11920-0-32242600-1437532778_thumb.jpg

pick up the tray or pot or planter or whatever the plants are growing in, carry them into the green house & set them down in their new home. done deal.

for added effect, circle your house 3 times (counter clockwise) while carrying each tray pot or planter....reinforcing the idea to each plant that survival is up to them, sink or swim, live or die. :wink:

for added effect, circle your house 3 times (counter clockwise) while carrying each tray pot or planter..... :wink:

is that clockwise on the other side of the equator from you? left foot or right foot first?

pick up the tray or pot or planter or whatever the plants are growing in, carry them into the green house & set them down in their new home. done deal.

for added effect, circle your house 3 times (counter clockwise) while carrying each tray pot or planter....reinforcing the idea to each plant that survival is up to them, sink or swim, live or die. :wink:

I have tried moving some straight into the greenhouse in the middle of winter, they looked good although we got one non cloudy day and the plant was instantly shrivelled from sunburn. It seems the suns a lot stronger than the cfl I have been using crazy Edited by franky

Why don't you move them to the green house and cover their container with several tissues. If they show any signs of discoloration, increase the layer of tissues.

If they're green in 2 weeks, remove one or 2 tissues. Keep doing that until they can handle the light on their own ;)

• Like 3

Make sure to keep the temperatures in the greenhouse below 29° celsius and cover the plants that are very young. Also make sure to keep them well watered during the hot days. You can slowly remove the covers after a couple of weeks.

from lights, to shade for 3 or 4 weeks, to outside, keeping an eye all the while, especially if you get a really hot day early on.

ps. im far from expert but its working well for me.

What about the other way around? I have some trich seedlings that are not quite a year old that have been nearly acclimated to full sun and are doing great. For my more mature cacti I usually dry them on a covered porch that gets a lot of sun but no rain for a month or so before the first hard frost and then into"cold storage" for the winter. Do the seedlings have the resources to handle that treatment or should they come back inside and under the fluoros again for the winter with a regular watering routine?