The Corroboree
naja naja

Sry for my absence and some finds from today

Soooo, I'm sry to all for my long absence. I have been busy, too busy. It got to the stage where I couldn't even come here as I felt guilty for wasting time. Somehow last few weeks things seem to finally coming under control and I'm not falling asleep before my child. Hopefully I am back permanently

Inspired by heyawonas' finds and jealous of bluemeanies beautiful hauls of edibles. I have moved closer to the bush so have been walking and looking a bit. With such a dry winter I have found few edibles. Only occasional shaggy and field/Forrest mushrooms. Today I decided I'd drive to some pines and expand my area of search after being further driven by my first hedgehog mushroom find. And I was well rewarded! Found my first W.A. Fly agarics. Appearing a few years ago now these seem to be spreading very rapidly through the southwest.

th_372205901_Amanita2015echo_122_475lo.J

I then spent the next two hour picking hedgehogs in massive swathes through the bush. It is a place I have found golden chanterelles before. But only a scant few. The hedgehogs were everywhere though. I got tired in the end so would have left many thousands behind. They are fiddly to pick without breaking and getting dirty. I stopped with 2kg.

th_221092553_hedgehogs2015echo_122_109lo th_722110695_hedgehoghaul2015_122_62lo.J th_221119419_hedgehoghaul2015_122_471lo.

Along my travels I also found 2 of what I think are Porcini. B. edulis. There were what appeared to be several more rotted away. I will keep an eye on this area. Would be a nice find for W.A. If it is. These specimens were to old to be 100% sure. It's been really dry here lately. Hopefully this new rain brings on some more.

th_220569333_B.edulis2015.3_122_370lo.JP th_220605153_B.edulis2015echo_122_478lo.
th_220618555_B.edulis2015.2_122_500lo.JP

Over all I am very happy with the last two days. 3 new species for me. Two gourmet and one of those in abundance. I fried the hedgehogs in some butter and they were awesome. Best shroom I've ever eaten!

Edited by naja naja
  • Like 11

Hey Mate. :D

Yeah i noticed recently i hadnt seen you in ages., so nice to see you back.

yeah kids heh, little critters really wear you out.

sounds like you had some fun and good eating.

cheers.

Good to see you back dude, nice work, ill drop you a PM in the next day or two.

Hope all is well. Nice agaric :)

Thanks guys. Nice to see youse still here too.

Those definitely don't look like boletus edulis. They are the wrong colour and the cap is the wrong texture. When you cut them in half B edulis won't be that dark-ish colour either, they will be pretty much white fleshed all throughout except maybe a slight reddish tinge right near the skin of the cap. Yours are quite different.

Awesome hedgehog finds! :)

If it's not edulis. It is still a bolete I have not come across before. I was hoping the flesh was that color due to the age. When I cut it in half the flesh stained pinkish within seconds. It stood out as not being the same slimy cap that all the slipperies have. Wishful thinking I guess. I will still try and find a fresher specimen after this rain.

Gday mate. What did u think of the hedgehogs? Just found these recently myself and i was blown away by their flavour. Really one of my favs and they tend to pop up in similar spots to native chants ive noticed.

• Like 1

Yeah they were great! The best I've eaten so far. No fungal aftertaste tasted like cheesy bacon. I don't like many mushrooms, but these are a delicacy. And sooooo many. I reckon I could spend all day picking and not make a dent. Deff at the top of my list with so few others in abundance unless u like slippery jacks.

Thanks for the id bee em

• Like 1

Fridge in zip lock going to dehydrate a bunch. Selling the rest. Eating a heap.

Najie!

I'd love to buy some of these hedgehogs!!

Does anyone know if there are laws about how many mushrooms one can take? Similar thing to bag limits in fishing. I had never thought about it until now. I know there are laws with regard to take of wildflowers. Anyone?

Basically none. Most collected to eat are introduced species. Obviously picking in nat park is probably a no no

• Like 1

I would not be able to send them interstate unfortunately. Maybe one day.

Cook them up into something delicious and send Incog a care package :lol: A nice Beef Stroganoff perhaps.

Epic hedgehog finds, and very tasty indeed. Thans for sharing some with me Naja :)

Edited by Hyphal