The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nut

ID-- northern Thailand

Question

It has just started raining here, very dry start to the wet season. Had a dream last night about finding a bunch of mushrooms last night and these were across the road. Going back to a big lake that had about 30 Buffalo crapping everywhere the other day, hope to get a few more interesting pics on that walk. Anyone know what these are?post-6697-0-39262400-1436781892_thumb.jppost-6697-0-91478500-1436781979_thumb.jppost-6697-0-61931200-1436782000_thumb.jp

post-6697-0-39262400-1436781892_thumb.jpg

post-6697-0-91478500-1436781979_thumb.jpg

post-6697-0-61931200-1436782000_thumb.jpg

post-6697-0-39262400-1436781892_thumb.jpg

post-6697-0-91478500-1436781979_thumb.jpg

post-6697-0-61931200-1436782000_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

9 answers to this question

I guess these are in the Parasola genus now. Psathyrella previously.

• Like 4

Good job mate, thanks. Should have some more for you before the week is out!

• Like 1

Hey nut, where abouts in North Thailand are you?

I'm currently in Chiang Mai till 30th July, had a successful hunt today for pan cyans!

I am over in Udon Thani. So in the north east. It's been super dry here until a week ago so only just looking like things may pop up now. Have to go back on the 22 nd or I would be keen to head over there. How did you find yours? I found a large lake near a friends house out in the sticks where a huge amount of Buffalo are taken to graze. I gunna check it out Monday. The Thailand call em Hed Keekwai, which translates to

something like mushrooms from defecating Buffaloes lol.

Nice! What's it like there? Are you able to easily get by with English?

Yeah it's been rather dry here as well a part from 2 days of decent rains starting last weekend then sparse rains since then.

I found two specimen on a rice paddy field that had water bufallos (lucky find as I wasn't conciously looking for the right species)! Then I headed to the San Pa Tong water buffalo market where farmers meet every Saturday to auction off water bufallos in pens. I figured there would be a lot of shit in the pens and lo and behold I came across a decent cluster there (http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/21950411). It seems panaleous cyanescens are more commonly found on water buffalo shit whereas cubes are found more commonly on elephant shit ( https://www.reddit.com/r/Drugs/comments/1jqgxx/ive_been_mushroom_hunting_in_thailand_for_20/). I was consciously looking out for cubes and couldn't find any apart from some very small pins that were growing.

It also seemed (and it makes sense) that the shrooms in this climate/lack of rain grew under shade or near the fenced pens which makes sense as it'd be less dry under the scorching sun. I went about mid day so it was easier to tell where shade would fall throughout the day (definitely suggest morning though if you're not a fan of the heat).

Yeah ahaha when I was on the farmers rice paddy field he came up thinking wtf is this cunt doing (not really he was really friendly but he was checking up on me). I asked him bout hed kee kwai and showed him a shitty drawing of shrooms growing out of dung that I drew on my notepad. He said 'mee mai' which meant no food or something along those lines. I spent about an hour trawling through those fields and didnt notice any growing directly on the large blobs of shit but saw two randomly in some small-mid sized grass, I'd say thats more due to the lack of rain however.

Edited by THP

I am over in Udon Thani. So in the north east. It's been super dry here until a week ago so only just looking like things may pop up now. Have to go back on the 22 nd or I would be keen to head over there. How did you find yours? I found a large lake near a friends house out in the sticks where a huge amount of Buffalo are taken to graze. I gunna check it out Monday. The Thailand call em Hed Keekwai, which translates to

something like mushrooms from defecating Buffaloes lol.

Dude there are mad houseboat psytrance parties on that lake...

Ooze Bar ...

Edited by mesq

The lake I am talking about is out near Nong Bua Lam Phu. I only saw small long boats and heaps of large bamboo structures to lift fishing nets out of the water. Where did you mean Mesq? Always down for boat party but can't imagine they have them where I am talking about. THP Udon is nice, smaller than Chiang Mai and you could get by with no Thai but it would be helpful if you spoke some. My girlfriend lives here and some of her friends speak some English but not that well. A lot of people speak none. I speak a bit of Thai so which makes things a bit easier. Great idea on the buffalo farm. I tried to find one in Udon but online only read about the Chiang Mai one. There must be one around. I know cubes do occur up here asx I have spoken to locals , there is both the Pans and Cubes. The farmer said no( mai) have( mee). In other words don't eat. I have asked about them specifically and revived the same answer from various age groups usually with a knowing smile. Everyone up here seems to know of them. How long are you in Thailand for?

I see that's cool man, I've been trying to learn a bit of a Thai on the side whilst I'm here haha. It's fun interacting with the locals.

Yeah that's the thing hey, I can definitely see many things being off the radar (on the internet) in a smaller/non-touristy town of Thailand. Even some of the info about things around Chiang Mai you gotta dig deep for.

Yeah otherwise elephant camps could be good as well for the cubes, wouldnt hurt trying to ask the care takers or riders if they have elephant camps in Udon. Id assume there are a lot of rice paddies with water buffalos out there as well though? Wouldn't hurt to look through them, a lot of other hunters with exp in Thailand have also said there's no real issues with wading through farmers land as they don't raise an eyebrow really. I reckon that lake is a great idea though, especially if 30 or so buffalos were in the region recently and there's some good rain :) Good luck on the hunt!

Interesting to note that the locals there know about it haha. I really wonder how many locals trip regularly. I'm here till 30 July then heading back to Perth. Hopefully b town will be booming when I get back, haven't had a successful sub hunt yet (only have gone down once though). Were you in Thailand till the 22nd?

Yes mate here till the 22 nd, then have a bunch of work to do before uni starts again. I hear there is plenty of subs down that way now. I want to take a look down there myself but have not had the time. It can be hard work finding them down there. The easy places to get to get so hammered these days, it sucks.