The Corroboree
mushfun

Hops to go.

Hops for spring. Two or three named varieties. First three who want them post and and PM your address. Get your brew on!

• Like 4

oh hell yeah! been after some for a while :)

pm'd, cheers.

That sounds great. :)

Manic you already had some coming so another 2.

• Like 1

yes please, pm'd

Edited by in_spirit

yes please, yes please

Cheers heaps MF. Mine arrived today. Very keen to get these going and hopefully I'll grow enough to give some to a couple of avid, brewer friends of mine. :)

• Like 1

Got mine also, thanks a million. The names got quite smudged on mine, I can make out Cascade and Saaz I think but not the third one??

Thanks again :)

• Like 1

Good to hear it. The third would be hurstbruker

• Like 1

Received this morning, thank-you so much :)

• Like 1

Thank you for them man, got them in the dirt today

• Like 1

Mine have only been in ground for 2-3 weeks so they have no shoots just yet but thought I'd show the set up I'm using for this year. I also need to mulch the pots which I will do with hay/straw this weekend. They are in the sunniest spot in my garden which is why I have them in pots for now. I've read pots are a good way to go for the first year.

These big pots were only $10 each from cheap as chips, I did have to spend 15 mins on each one cutting drainage holes in the bottom as they have a template for drainage holes but they aren't actually punched out. And each of the "large tomato cages" were also only $10 each from cheap as chips. (Bunnings charge $18 for the exact same ones so in case anyone needs cages like this head to Cheap as Chips instead)

post-13830-0-03794100-1442545042_thumb.j post-13830-0-09563400-1442545043_thumb.j

post-13830-0-03794100-1442545042_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-09563400-1442545043_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-03794100-1442545042_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-09563400-1442545043_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like they'll like that. I reckon they would be hard to kill.

• Like 1

Sexy hop pot Zed.

ive 2 up so far, the pots are little black ones, I want to get them established then i will move them to a trellised area I got planned.

Le Zedness has informed me that hop plants may be poisonous to dogs

i will take some pics n post them.

• Like 2

Interesting about being poisons to dogs I hadn't heard that. I've got three dogs and don't think they have caused a problem yet, or the dogs showing any particular interest in it.

Hops

Poisonous to: Cats, Dogs

Level of toxicity: Generally mild to severe, depending on the amount ingested

Common signs to watch for:

• Elevated body temperature (with temperatures exceeding 105⁰F/40.6⁰C)
  • Increased breathing
  • Racing heart rate
  • Anxiety
  • Vomiting
  • Abnormal clotting
  • Death

Humulus lupulus, commonly known as hops, is a plant used in the process of brewing beer. As home brewing increases in popularity, more dogs may be at risk for exposure. Hops plugs (which typically are dried) tend to be more toxic than hops pellets.

The exact toxic principle is unknown, but may be related to essential oils, resins, phenolic compounds, or nitrogenous constituents within the plant. When ingested by dogs (or rarely, cats), signs of hop poisoning include malignant hyperthermia (with temperatures exceeding 105⁰F/40.6⁰C), increased breathing, a racing heart rate, anxiety, vomiting, abnormal clotting, and even death.

Death has been reported in dogs poisoned by hops within 6 hours of ingestion (without treatment). Any breed of dog may be affected, but breeds predisposed to malignant hyperthermia (e.g., greyhounds, Labrador retrievers, Saint Bernards, pointers, Dobermans, Border collies, English springer spaniels, and northern breeds) are at higher risk for toxicity.

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/hops/

Had heard of it happening , didnt think it was so bad.....but potential for death changed me tune

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 1