The Corroboree
doxneed2c-me

Sick Cactus Help Please

http://imgur.com/a/Xzjfy

photos are here. I starved it of water in the time it took me to get back on this site. I haven't been so active but plan to be arounf more but need help saving this guy.

Edited by doxneed2c-me

Chop the top off and keep it dry
Once the top is cut off you could then try removing the black bits, dry that piece out and have a go at rooting it too.
They are tough
Good luck

• Like 1

Hey Dox, looks like black rot. You know, the benign type that usually heals up just fine. But when it´s about infections, you can never know for sure. But personally, I´d probably not cut it and let nature sort it out. :)

• Like 3

I'm with EG,just let it be. The black area will probably just scab.

• Like 1

I would probably hold it upside down [or horizontally at least seeing as its a little one]

/ might put a bag on the pot and a few rubber bands to stop the media falling out.. or

/ unpot the plant and bag the roots closed off with a rubber band

(to stop all the bits falling over the next bit...)

and then drip alcohol handwash gel on the black bits making sure to cover them all thinly - without using a toothbrush ...

allowing gravity to spread it over the rot towards the tip... possibly blowing the gel to help..

then blow garden sulphur at it from a squeezy garden sulphur cloud blower bottle until it has made a nice frosty thin layer coating the black bits only - or as close to that as poss ...

1 small blob i reckon would cover that... then a cloud of sulphur to "scab it" to simplify the above

41vmBbtGdrL._SY355_.jpgdmeu_y910747_01_std.lang.all.jpg

i might even do it to the plant upright without having to move it or unpot it at all

-if i was to go easy on the handwash gel so it didnt drip down the plant too much

.. and I do do especially if it happens on my big cacties.

and then ^^ what the other SABers said dependent on the outcome... especially the bit about keeping it dry ... but i would add ventilation to that too incase it wasn't assumed.

... this scabby tek has enabled me to stop having to slice my cacti for quite a while now.. but if this didnt work I would slice and operate.. well , I have done in the past , but so far not needed to whilst using the "scab tek" [touch wood]

good luck!

and good to see ya buddy!

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

I put a light misting of sulphur suspended in water on it and I will let it be.