The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mineral

Cacti yellow discolouration

Hi everyone. Sorry if there's a specific sub forum for this and I'm in the wrong place.

Not the best pictures of the marks on the cactus because they weren't taken specifically for this topic. I'm a little concerned about the yellowish spots on the base of the cactus. I think there are a few new ones as well, but I'm not certain. They were there when I bought it, by the way.

Any ideas?

post-14788-0-59448500-1436674210_thumb.j

post-14788-0-59448500-1436674210_thumb.jpg

post-14788-0-59448500-1436674210_thumb.jpg

The yellowing at the top is sunburn perhaps. I wouldn't worry too much about the spots near the base - they just look like scarring to me.

You haven't had any orange or black spots have you?

It looks like typical scarring to me. Absolutely nothing to worry about in my experience. Looks like it's growing nicely as well.

• Like 1

Could be scale insects, try gently rubbing them off with an old toothbrush.

Its normals, just something tasting the cacti, then coarking over. Sometimes if it gets bad I will seperate the affected plant and scrub off the insects with a toothbrush and let it recover in isolation.

yup its probably rhizoctonia aerial blight just tasting the cacti, LoL

as a side note, I'd strongly recommend you ditch that potting soil and go with something that has less than 20% 'composted forest products' in it.

more than likely the 'high acidic content' potting soil is a major contributing factor in the tip yellowing.

you also need to ditch the clay saucer under the pot & you really should provide better drainage, either by choice of pot, potting soil, or ideally, both.