The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
heyowana

Unknown small brown mushrooms of the Psilocybe genus fruiting in NSW.

Actually Im going to go with a regional phenotype of Psilocybe alutacea going on the photos on the shroomery which have that more reddish orange stipe.

Edited by Zen Peddler
  • Like 1

Thanks Zen Peddler. I offered Inski anything I could. He didn't seem interested. We had a discussion on shroomery about his proposed guess for an ID. I don't think he liked my attitude. Maybe he is too busy more likely.

I've read some of your posts about P.subaeruginosa and you sound well informed.

That was my initial reason to ID as P.alutacea.

Inski's photos of it are wonderful.

Changed my mind for two reasons. First P.alutecea has a bluing reaction of dung growing species which it is.

These mushrooms have the bluing the same as the tropical liberty cap mushrooms I have picked.

They don't blue straight away. Takes about 4 hours. Then it is a steel blue colour.

Most importantly they fruit syraight out of the mud. The woolly tuft of mycellium makes them hard to pull out.

I thought P.aztecorum because the cap goes white.

Now I'm changing my guess to - too hard.Just want to find them in a more natural habitat.

thats odd inski didnt want to look at them he was all over my find wanting to get them under the scope

although that may have something to do with wanting some sort of comparison to his own alutacae finds

Inski guess was P.strictipes.

TimT from shroomery has been a great help.

He was saying he will get them DNA sequenced if Alan is too busy.

These mushrooms have a really thick gelatinous pellicle. I collected some specimens and had them in a metal bowl.

The caps stuck like they had glue on them.

Have a look at the cluster of 10 and you'll see what I mean if it's magnified a bit.

I know P.strictipes fits the bill with the seperable gelatinous pellicle along with P.semilancesta and P.pelliculosa. There are radiata pines on another property around here.

When I google pelliculosa its stem looks a different colour along with its a pineforest psilocybe species.

The ones I found at Dalmorton had a similar cap.

Their stem was greyish white though. They went straw colour as they dried. These go really white on a sunny day. Yet they retain the dark stem.

• Like 1

yeh thats obviously why he was all over my find then because his guess was alutacae and he's found those himself
so thats probly why he really wanted to check them out

TimmiT is great he's always a good help very very interested to see what results he comes up with :)

I'm interested to find out even if they are a known species. I'd prefer that in fact. Then I would know their prefered habitat.

An unknown would appeal more to academics so they have a new species to study.

Either way it will fun finding out.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how to edit my text via my mobile.

Until I do my apologies for leaving words out etc.

Great thread and very curious looking mushrooms! If you come across them again I'd be happy to take microscopy pics/measurements to post up here for future reference.

• Like 2

Thank's ferret. Only one fruited in the last week.

Hopefully they'll be back next season.

That would be great for you to have a look at them.

hey Heyowana, this on shroomery this morning - posted by TimmiT............

as your on a phone mate i have taken the liberty and posted this here, hope this is ok......

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/21886930#21886930

07/03/15 12:31 AM

Ok, I've created an observation on Mushroom Observer and included a microscopic description and a few micrographs. It's hard to draw any solid conclusions from the microscopy.

When examining the collection I noted that almost all had small sticks/twigs attached to the base, which makes me think they are lignicolous. With that in mind I don't think Psilocybe subaeruginosa can be ruled out.
Edited by pimento
  • Like 1

if he's cystidial form descriptions are correct (and id only trust inski to get those right imo) then its unlikely to be subaeruginosa.

It has none if its macroscopic features so the fact that its lignious means very little.

• Like 1

TimmiT has all the specimens. A.Rockefeller suggested alba.es which costs 20 dollars for DNA sequencing. I sent that message to TimmiT.

Can't quite follow P.alutacea for macroscopic ID.

The stem on mine matches the colour of the cap when wet. When drier the cap goes white yet the stem remains dark. The stem is really pliable and thin.

The ones I picked in Qld resemble P.samuiensis.

These don't for the first two reasons mentioned above.

If DNA testing was needed to differentiate between P.alutacea and P.samuiensis then they must look quite similar.

When I used to pick pineforest psilocybes P.pelliculosa? they would have a white cap if the weather was dry.

Here is another idea. As P.subaeruginosa can fruit in eucalypt and pineforest maybe there is another type of Psilocybe species native to Australia that can exist in a variety of habitats.

Endless speculation from me until DNA sequencing. I am prone to speculation because I've picked species that look like P.alutacea,samuiensis,strictipes and pelliculosa.

I went past the spot and the one that came up 7 days ago is still there intact. It looks the same size wise. No bluing. They only blue from injury. There is a photo on p1 of a little one on its side showing greenish blue colouration on the side of the cap where it had been pressing against a stick.

Where they are still has visible water on the ground. Where there is no visible water there are tiny ice crystals.

A wee little one is there today about 2 feet from the week old one.

We get very heavy dew here. Still not sure if that's the reason why the water is there though. The habitat is on top of red clay so it holds water well.

Still it might be a spring there because everywhere else is drying out from not having rain.

All the P.subaeruginosa died out weeks ago from the cold. Looks like a long wait until the next season unless I can these little brown mushrooms elsewhere.

How does the DNA testing work? Wouldn't you need a range of 100% positively ID'd similar species to use as reference samples? Or does the company provide that?

A.Rockefeller said if I get it done he'll help me to interpret it. So I guess it's not that straightforward.

P.alutecea sounds OK. I was reading a thread on shroomery and they were getting heaps of them off horse dung.

The NZ's were saying they don't turn blue easily but they were pretty good otherwise.

I just need a bigger area than where they were.

So next season might be really interesting.

So if they were alutacea there are some horses down the road that wander everywhere. I've never seen any evidence of them in my place however.

I'll have to go down where they are and have a look around.

Perhaps I should just put some horse manure downhill from where they have fruited. That way if they aren't alutecea no harm done.

So I could cultivate them?

Sounds better all the time.