The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

heyowana

Why subs are sub par and meanies even worse.

Why follow a dead end path. Sooner or later one must ask oneself why.

They are never the kind of mushrooms you could call your best friend. There is something a little sinister lurking somewhere close by.

They get you out of it,no doubt about that. But are they that satisfying.

There are mushrooms with a much CLEARER message. They don't waste the users time with all the shiftiness and subordination.

I can call them my friend and helper because they show the way with love.

They show the way to where more of them grow. Instead of looking at the patch with trepidation thinking if I have too many I will pay for IT to pay me a visit. Pure bliss courses through my body anticipating the delightful high that will unfold when I eat those funny little fairy mushrooms.

Instead of worrying about this that and everything else I'll become a pixie. A pixie free to follow the pixilated way of the pixie mushroom.

You see before I typed this a hazy mist was wafting around my room. It helped me to make the comparison between heavy metal meanies and subs with those folky little mushrooms.

Then a brainwave hit me. It's a bit like comparing those wonderful sativas of years gone by knockout indicas. Sooner or later people come around to the clear cerebral creative high of the sativa as a recreational pursuit.

Same with mushrooms. In my younger days I too wanted to be blasted by those very pretty subs. As I aged I learned that you can't judge a book by its cover. Now those little brown and goldy brown fragile looking mushrooms are the way. They look so insignificant with their small caps and greyish lavender gills. Their nature makes up for that.

They do hide well but more fun the quest.

So I ask that next time wherever you are looking think about all those OTHER mushrooms.

We here in Australia can take our head out of the sand and find those little mushrooms. When you do you'll know why.

cubes are just a fun pastime, imo. Lot's of fun, but nothing significant will come from them.

Subs on the other hand, are as therapeutic as it gets. They'll brutally force you to face reality, as it truly is.

cubes are just a fun pastime, imo. Lot's of fun, but nothing significant will come from them.

Subs on the other hand, are as therapeutic as it gets. They'll brutally force you to face reality, as it truly is.

Insignificant? Roger. Got that. I'll have mission control pass your message onto the appropriate entities. Over.

tumblr_m2vfcaJNsl1r9ymddo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mwiw1vUvio1r9ymddo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m0x0j5dXAs1r9ymddo1_1280.jpg

@Xenodimensiona

Ground control to Major Tom, we need more trippy pictures, I ain't done just yet.

A cube is a cube is a cube? :huh:

Yes cubensis when picked in the wild isn't much.

If you google Psilocybe strictipes that is the morphology I am talking about.

They are not P.strictipes but look a bit like them.

Subs are over rated.

When having consumed a large shopping basket of coastal subs which are stronger than the mountain ones I started to think that even meanies with their short lived high are more profound.

The little mushrooms I am talking about can be found in the same habitat as meanies in the same time frame as well.

Difference is that you need enough rain to make puddles and to runoff down the gullies.

They are never on cow or horse manure. They grow near it.

First time I tried them was about nine years ago.

Then I had tears of joy because I had returned home.

Broaden your horizons because the gold you seek thtough subs can be found in other places.

Perhaps the name of the thread should read.

Why subs meanies and goldtops are over rated.

Answer because unlike the rest of the world Australians do not have the opportunity to compare them to other mushrooms.

That will change in time. I just want to kick start that change so others can experience those funny little mushrooms.Take it from me they are worth the effort to find and even photograph because I think that teonanacatl is a fitting term for them.

I have never found subs meanies or goltops to be worthy of such a title.

i ask this as a relative myco-ignoramus, but you talk about all of these unidentified magic mushrooms in australia and you're encouraging people to look into it

consumption of wild mushrooms has always been considered a dangerous game suitable for careful types

how do you expect people to proceed? we don't have names, pictures, guides, just some loose descriptions and anecdotes.

Also relative myco-ignoramus (I like that term....), but... isn't it a bit like writing off a culture just because you don't like their food or medicine? Different strokes is all I'm saying. Some personalities get along better than others :)

As far as psilocybe mushrooms are considered, the effects are dose specific, as in you need saturation of the serotenergic system for significant psychedelic effects.

As such I refer to my earlier statement, in so much as if one were to consider certain psilocybes less potent or 'special' than others, then one obviously isn't taking a significant enough dose. Many of these mushrooms differ in their psilocybin and psilocin content of course, and therefore to achieve the same effects one would have to be aware of this as it pertains to each individual mushroom and raise/lower dosage accordingly... I presume. :huh:

here is perhaps the best post i can find easily explaining why there are qualitative differences from mushroom to mushroom. certainly there is an abundance of opinion on the difference between cubes and subs which is why i've refrained from throwing my hat yet again into the ring.

I have always used lemon juice and always found this to be more potent than brews made without it. I put this down to the acidification of the water. With lemon juice the water will not get as dark and there will only be some blueing. However when ascorbic acid was used the difference in effect was rather dramatic. There was also zero blueing [in fact the whole thing went beige].

I don't think there will be a huge difference in effect when making tea from dry material as the fragile molecules would have already degraded. As it is likely that ascorbic will protect the psilocin, but has little effect on the psilocybin content, only species with high psilocin to psilocybin ratios will benefit greatly. For such high psilocin species the difference in effect can be dangerous.

I would also like to reiterate that the effect of what is presumably psilocin is different to psilocybin, contrary to everything that has been written about these molecules. I already indicated in the thread about 4-acetoxy-dmt that I did not believe this molecule to be turned into psilocin as the effect was so dramatically different. Now, I am tempted to make the same claim about psilocin. If psilocin is on one end of the scale with it's high spiritual & visual effect and feeling of connectedness, and 4acedmt is on the other end of the scale with it's dopamine & libido driven, egocentric, barely visual nature, then psilocybin lies between these two, somwhere near the middle with a strong leaning towards the psilocin side. But it is not psilocin!

This is all hypothesis based on the assumption that ascorbic acid protects psilocin. It would be wise to also do some experiments with ascorbic and dried cubensis [the original material for comparison] to eliminate factors such as increased absorption or the possiblity that ascorbic actually eliminates/precipitates some of the nasties in shrooms. I think I wrote in my original post on this how a thick beige sludge formed after a few hours in the fridge, leaving a clear slightly beige solution. It might be worthwhile to actually sample the sludge by itself :puke: .

the novel thing about this thread is that heyowana is talking about a wide range of personal experiences all across australia. he went into much more detail in another recent thread. now i don't discount his experience or knowledge for one second, i'm in no position to, being a cube and sub muncher and knowing absolutely none of the subtleties in their ID and regional variation, things that have been discussed here by certain members. i think heyowana is trying to further our collective knowledge but doesn't quite have the tools. i'm not sure if anybody does.

it's a difficult thing and i call on the experts to give some attention to this new information.

As I understand it the citric acid in lemons acts to convert psilocybin into psilocin, hence the lemon juice tek is used to expedite the onset of psychedelic effects by reducing digestion/absorption rates. I could be wrong about it being the citric acid, and it may well be the ascorbic :huh:

Regardless I don't think there is any really contentious debate around whether different mushrooms have slightly different perceptible effects, but for the infrequent user it is all subjective really isn't it?

My main reason for posting anything in this thread is just to point out that stating that one mushroom is superior to another is firstly a highly personal opinion and preference, and secondly that at the end of the day we are primarily talking about psilocybin and psilocin, psilocybin being converted into psilocin endogenously upon ingestion. Hence my statement that a cube is a cube is a cube. Some psilocybes are more potent, some less so. If it doesn't float your boat then raise it up, if not you are sitting pretty I guess. :shroomer:

As Fancy Pants said it's a matter of personal preference, and I am loathe to wade into a 'my cube is better than your cube' to and fro, because that is surely a subjective matter... :scratchhead:

Yes the personalities differ no matter what the dose. Wonder why?

Anyway google Psilocybe samuiensis. Different colour cap to P.strictipes but another lookalike.

Now these cow and horsepaddock psilocybes have a gelatinous pellicle. As I said look for the grey lavender gills with a white line along the gill edge.

Between Nov to mid Feb is the time. Hot humid conditions after heavy rain.

So armed with your camera or mobile with those two photos of psilocybe downloaded approach your nearest meanie paddock.

Look in places that have had water running over them. Look where water has pooled as well.

If you see one of these mushrooms put a stick in the ground near where it is. Now follow the water course where the water has been up and down from this spot. Mark any place you find them with a stick. You will see how they love to grow in the wettest places in the paddock.

They seem to have an affinity for couch grass patches that are close to cow and horse manure.

I am hoping a friend that lives in nth Qld will snap some pics for me next monsoonal season.

I'll concentrate around where I live in NSW.

If anyone else feels up to the challenge there could be a gallery of unknown psilocybes from all around Australia if all goes well.

I was interested in shroomery because it has an international panel that has encounters with similar mushrooms.

For fieldwork however look no further than here.

I find the nuances in the character of a mushroom interesting. To say they all take you to the same place

Yes the personalities differ no matter what the dose. Wonder why?

Anyway google Psilocybe samuiensis. Different colour cap to P.strictipes but another lookalike.

Now these cow and horsepaddock psilocybes have a gelatinous pellicle. As I said look for the grey lavender gills with a white line along the gill edge.

Between Nov to mid Feb is the time. Hot humid conditions after heavy rain.

So armed with your camera or mobile with those two photos of psilocybe downloaded approach your nearest meanie paddock.

Look in places that have had water running over them. Look where water has pooled as well.

If you see one of these mushrooms put a stick in the ground near where it is. Now follow the water course where the water has been up and down from this spot. Mark any place you find them with a stick. You will see how they love to grow in the wettest places in the paddock.

They seem to have an affinity for couch grass patches that are close to cow and horse manure.

I am hoping a friend that lives in nth Qld will snap some pics for me next monsoonal season.

I'll concentrate around where I live in NSW.

If anyone else feels up to the challenge there could be a gallery of unknown psilocybes from all around Australia if all goes well.

I was interested in shroomery because it has an international panel that has encounters with similar mushrooms.

For fieldwork however look no further than here.

I find the nuances in the character of a mushroom interesting. To say they all take you to the same place does not tell me why they are so different in their character profiles. If I'm blitzed on a high psilocin mushroom like P.cubensis, subaeruginosa or Panaeolus cyanescens then maybe there are similarities. I have found the low psilocin mushrooms I have found to have a very different comeup.Different effect and different aftermath. They cause lucid dreaming better than the three ones where all familiar with as well.

It's funny how the psilocybin molecule looks similar to seratonin. Anyhow I'm just one person with my own subjective judgement. Hope that changes so I can hear from others that have encountered those little mushrooms as well.

These mushrooms can be hard to find until you know where to look.The property I lived on in Qld was divided up by a creek into front and back cow paddocks.

Out in the back paddocks having plenty of couch grass they were pretty easy to find. In the front paddocks with a lack of couch different story.

Most of the grass there looked like kikuyu. I could be.standing over them and couldn't see them because they were nearly always in the longer grass clumps. They could be thick in there but often the specimens were too old.

I told my neighbour about them one day because he like me thought the goldtops and meanies in that area were crap.

I was over at his place one day and he tells me he can't find them anywhere. I asked him where he was looking and he said on the cowmanure. Mistake number one. He wanted to know more about what they looked like so he gets on the internet and types in magic mushrooms.

When he came to Psilocybe mexicana I told him to look for ones with that look.

Bluing is very different to your sub goldtop or meanie.

Where they turn a royal blue to green blue in some cubensis these show almost no bluing in a fresh specimen. They could show a little bluing at the base but not always. Hours after picking however the bluing would show where they were bruised. It was more a steel blue colour. Not a vibrant blue by any means.

Next lesson learned is that bluing has nothing to do with potency.

It would be awesome if you would take a few of us to learn how to find and id these. There seems to be a lot of intrest lately in undescribed species in aus

Yeh mate that would be awesome to have you take us up to show us some of these interesting species you describe.

from what I know these are the main active mushrooms to look for if your hunting for microscopy purposes in oz, if I'm missing any please let me know. :)

Psilocybe Subaeruginosa - subs, wood loving.

Psilocybe Cubensis - cubes, poo

Panalous Cyanescens - pans or blue meanies, poo

Copelandia Cyanescens - copes, poo

Psilocybe Semilanceata - liberty caps, Libs, grasses that have had poo in them

Gymnopilus Purpuratus, purps, wood loving

Amanita Muscaria, flies, wood loving

I've read before that Psilocybe Weraroa has been found in Victoria

Copes look a bit like Pans so maybe you found Libs op?

Occasionaly there are new finds here, mostly in dung from horses, cows etc.....

Obtuse knows the answers I bet. :)

A reply to Pimento.

Psilocybe Subaeruginosa - subs, wood loving.

A truly profound experience, every single time. Extremely intense and even slightly demonic at times.

Psilocybe Cubensis - cubes, poo

Just a cheap buzz, imo.

Panalous Cyanescens - pans or blue meanies, poo
Copelandia Cyanescens - copes, poo

Copelandia and Panalous, being one and the same, as far as I know. There lot's of fun............. but that's just about it.

Psilocybe Semilanceata - liberty caps, Libs, grasses that have had poo in them

I have no idea, tbh. The only verified conformation I've had that these mushrooms even grow in Australia, was from Tasmania.

Gymnopilus Purpuratus, purps, wood loving

Yeah, they'll produce an experience. That's all I really have to say about them.

Amanita Muscaria, flies, wood loving

Crazy! Just absolutely crazy. You gotta have an iron cast stomach to mess with these suckers, but you also never know what the outcome will be with these ones.

Maybe a spiritual awakening, or maybe a psychotic violent outburst, you just never know.

But.......... I stand by my claim that Subaeruginosia's are the true path to enlightenment. It may not be pure bliss or euphoria everytime, but it'll always be the truth, imo.

You'll also sleep like a baby, for weeks after visiting the Subaeruginosa realm. Because they'll force you to come to terms with who and what you truly are.

suppose its up to personal taste and experience, having found them all in habitat except semilanceata (ima comn baby) the hunt is the buzz for me.

cultivated psilocybes and commercial strains of cubensis and stones are reputed as being far stronger than some wild specimens.

also depends when and how they are consumed as Torsten says above.......are you tripping on psilocyn or psilocybyn and what levels of each? as these variables vary greatly depending on environment, substrate and species.

P. subaeruginosa rates somewhere around 3-5th in the world rankings of the strongest psilocybe.

most importantly as Thunderldeal has said, looking for these fungus and consuming them is not a game, this is serious stuff.

There has been a confirmed find of P. semilanceata in Victoria again this year.

I am glad for you Subaeruginosin that these fungus assist you

Copes look a bit like Pans so maybe you found Libs op?

nope, i remember now........

these finds are legit and are being tested.

from the pics i saw i am excited

you could make us a thread in the mycology section Heyowana so people here can see some of the pics and we can all discuss them :)

Do you want to know where I found them? I am so used to writing on shroomery. I'd be happy to go back and look in those places with anyone.

I don't own them now of course.

Timing is the key to the quest for these mushrooms. The ones in Qld I know most about.

The ones near me I only encountered once because I lived there for only 5months.

Then there are the ones where I live. They have about finished now.

Three different species that have similar bluing traits. I keep wanting to call the ones I found at Topaz in Qld and the ones up the road from Dalmorton Tropical liberty caps.

Shroomery isn't the place to suggest anything with liberty cap traits if it isn't P.semilanceata.

I'd be happy to pimento but I only have my mobile. I could sms the photos one by one to whoever I guess.

Found a nice little cluster of about 10 which looks at me off the phone. It's my favourite photo.

I'd be happy to pimento but I only have my mobile. I could sms the photos one by one to whoever I guess.

Found a nice little cluster of about 10 which looks at me off the phone. It's my favourite photo.

Yeah post the pictures brother. I'd love to just take your word for it, but I've been burnt far to many times before.

Cyanescens grow all year long up there in Northern Queensland anyway. Without pictures, my logical conclusion would be to assume that's what your finding.