The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Strontium Dawg

Desert island kitchen implement

If you had to pick just one kitchen implement you couldn't live without, what would it be, and why?

For me, it's a hefty razor sharp cleaver. I love the weight of it, the balance, good for slicing, chopping, smashing, cracking, flattening...and if anyone uninvited comes a calling, it'll be what I reach for first.

• Like 2

Hmmm, i use a wooden spoon a lot, but i'd probably say a plastic spatula. Those things are great for getting every last bit of food out of a pot or bowl or container (so much so, that you could almost put the pot back in the cupboard as clean :wink: ) . I have heard a spatula being refered to as a 'meanie' because when you make a cake mix and use the 'meanie' to scrape the bowl, there's nothing left for the kids to lick. Lol.

Edited by Amazonian
  • Like 5

My campmaster butane stove.

It's the only way I can get some serious wok-fu going. The electric stove just doesn't cut the mustard for wok cooking. I use steel chefs pans on it too and they are just as good as a non stick pan once seasoned properly and there's no worries about teflon.

It saved my arse after the recent storms when we were blacked out for nearly 10 days.

I went to buy another one because the piezo died a few months ago and I found out they've been pulled off the shelves. They were withdrawn from sale because a few people blew themselves up with them. The people that blew themselves up were using pans too big for them and overheated the butane canister, even though there are warnings plastered all over them saying not to use large pans.

It was the best 12 bucks I ever spent.

• Like 4

a metal pot for cooking, boiling water, and soaking my aching feet :P

also a solar powered dishwashing machine.

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 3

^^

an apron?

if i have nothing else and can only have one thing, then it would have to be a chopping implement,

but if i already have a machete or something then i'll go with a cast iron skillet

• Like 2

now i don't mean to mock peoples choices... But you're on a deserted island, you have absolutely nothing. You get to choose one & only one thing & it has to be some kind of kitchen implement..

Amz, are you seriously choosing a plastic spatula? So you're gonna be sitting there butt naked on the sand holding your spatula, no mixing bowl, no baking ingredients whatsoever, at this stage without even any means to cook? hehe

or sitting butt naked on the sand with your high quality can opener.. not a single can for thousands of km across oceans..

do you get infinite cans of butane to go with the gas stove? what are the parameters of this fantasy?

Basically the only answer to this question in my opinion is a good quality multipurpose knife. Just the right size.. large enough to chop down a small tree with the assistance of a solid piece of wood as a hammer but small enough to be able to fillet a fish & do fairly detailed carving..

with a knife like this you an carve as many kitchen implements as you like, not to mention take care of basically every need you have in a survival situation including making a gas stove obsolete because there are multiple ways of making fire with a knife.

Sorry to be all like 'nyer nyerny nyer nyer' but come on dudes.. get with it!

• Like 6

but duuuude,i dont want to live without fruit smoothies! and i'm already facing an eternity with no tacos.............so its about my will to live now, so nyer nyerny nyer nyer right back atcha'

• Like 3

Basically the only answer to this question in my opinion is a good quality multipurpose knife. Just the right size.. large enough to chop down a small tree with the assistance of a solid piece of wood as a hammer but small enough to be able to fillet a fish & do fairly detailed carving..

with a knife like this you an carve as many kitchen implements as you like, not to mention take care of basically every need you have in a survival situation including making a gas stove obsolete because there are multiple ways of making fire with a knife.

Sorry to be all like 'nyer nyerny nyer nyer' but come on dudes.. get with it!

a woman can do all that stuff too. let her carry the knife. pfffft. i'll be on the sandofa watching the teesea and scratching my blokonuts. glimpse you were a genius, too bad i had to kill you with my motorised pepper-grinder so i could steal your excellent choice of kitchen implement.

Edited by ThunderIdeal
  • Like 2

in all seriousness, a fridge, to go to sleep in when i'm sick of shitting coconuts and talking to soccer balls.

• Like 3

Amz, are you seriously choosing a plastic spatula? So you're gonna be sitting there butt naked on the sand holding your spatula, no mixing bowl, no baking ingredients whatsoever, at this stage without even any means to cook? hehe

Lol. Nah, I will have coconuts and figs and fungi to eat, and i wont be naked cause i have cotton to spin, and i will have bamboo to make bowls and cups out of :). *see thread of "top 5 plants to take to an island" ... http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41332&hl=

The spatula is really just for spanking anyway, like a safe weapon to beat off the would be thieves who want to take my plants without asking nicely. :P . Maybe it could double as a little gardening shovel. lol.

Edited by Amazonian
  • Like 4

a woman can do all that stuff too. let her carry the knife. pfffft. i'll be on the sandofa watching the teesea and scratching my blokonuts. glimpse you were a genius, too bad i had to kill you with my motorised pepper-grinder so i could steal your excellent choice of kitchen implement.

pffffffft, come at me bro! lol your going to need more than a piddly little motorised pepper grinder when you see the mad guns i develop pidalling like mad all day on my blender-bike

and what if i've been breeding with my aproned darling......

lord-of-the-flies-savage-boys-anarchy-ch
Edited by glimpse

sorry glaukus, my 1 item would actually probably be a machete............kitchen machete :scratchhead:

pffffffft, come at me bro! lol your going to need more than a piddly little motorised pepper grinder when you see the mad guns i develop pidalling like mad all day on my blender-bike

and what if i've been breeding with my aproned darling......

lord-of-the-flies-savage-boys-anarchy-ch

• Like 3

I thought you nailed it with cleaver. Itll do most things a knife will, and double as a machete without ruining the blade like it would most kitchen knives, near perfect choice in my mind... glimpses 'utensil' did make me reconsider my priorities for a minute... :D

whilst a cleaver would be good i prefer a knife. ironically my cleaver's blade is dinged yet my chefs knife is perfect ;)

1343003229003.jpg

THIS is a knife

Glimpse we all know exactly how it would go....

Edited by brooa
  • Like 1

So when are we actually gonna do this? Maybe we need to crowdfund an exclusive Corroboree island. Somewhere off the Whitsundays I vote.

photos-bora-bora-polynesie-francaise-6.j

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 3

I read this thread originally as more like "what are some cool kitchen gadgets you can't do without?" .... not "what is the single best survival tool?"

Lol. Nah, I will have coconuts and figs and fungi to eat, and i wont be naked cause i have cotton to spin, and i will have bamboo to make bowls and cups out of :). *see thread of "top 5 plants to take to an island" ... http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41332&hl=

i didn't realize this was b-side thread... so on this island you get 5 plants, one animal & one kitchen implement? well thats just luxurious

• Like 2